Forums / Discussion / General

232,635 total conversations in 7,777 threads

+ New Thread

What I Learned Watching 15 Seasons of The Simpsons

Last posted May 12, 2021 at 05:24AM EDT. Added Mar 30, 2021 at 02:18AM EDT
13 posts from 7 users

-I can’t believe the amount of good jokes, gags, and scenes exist. Sometimes, it’s all in the same episode.
-Knowing what the origins are of the memes with context is mind blowing.
-There are plenty of feel-good endings which are my favorite.
-The Simpsons writers absolutely hated the episode where Principal Skinner isn’t who he said he was and aren’t afraid to poke fun at it
-Continuity is amazing. Barney was sober for a couple seasons. A nice add-on was he’s at Moe’s drinking coffee. Flander’s still wasn’t over Maude’s death and episodes based off his grief expand on this. Bart still has his elephant who he won in a contest
-The outdated references to the early internet makes me cringe
-Professor Frink is my least favorite character due to him being the guy who is there only for Sci-Fi explanations
-They are fully aware on how long the show has been running and how it “stays fresh”. They had homer jump over a shark in a credits scene. Bart questions how South Park “stays fresh” after 43 episodes. They make fun of recycling episodes, with Smithers saying Mr. Burns was shot again.
-Yes, they predict so much, I’m still shocked. The best one is FOX being part of Disney
-Episodes where rivals turn into allies are also my favorite episodes
-Story structures and B-Plots are so easy for me to recognizes
-Sneed’s Feed & Seed
-( Formerly Chuck’s )

Here are some clips that I think are entertaining:

Last edited Mar 30, 2021 at 02:28AM EDT

If you're acquainted with the latinamerican spanish dub of The Simpsons, the experience can be doubly enjoyable, if only out the performance given by Homer's voice actor (Humberto Vélez). If you're not used to hearing people speak in spanish (no matter the accent), I'll just say it's a very distinctive voice. Coincidentally, he lasted for the first 15 seasons of the show.

Last edited Mar 30, 2021 at 03:40AM EDT

I knew the Simpsons made spoofs of several films as a kid, but there were a ton that still went over my head. I can appreciate a lot these now as an adult now that I've seen most of them. The Graduate ones in particular always make me laugh.

There are a couple of other things I appreciate with The Simpsons from its 18 seasons and movie..

- The Celebrity Cameos/Guest Appearances were not only well done but also had a lot of character in them.
- The political and social commentary are all hilarious. Not to mention had no chill for any belief.
- The writers REALLY love to make references to movies and shows they watch, and integrate them to their episode. Like that ending to "Homer the Vigilante" ended up being an abridged parody to "It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World"

Simple yet amusing jokes that are part of the early seasons is what made the show enjoyable to watch. Bonus points if they had a small amount of something being a bit abnormal

Now to push this button…

Greetings Friend

I never kept up with the Simpsons simply because I haven't really watched TV on a regular basis since like the late 2010's but as far as the series goes despite whatever blunders it had then and now, the couch gag from Hertzfeld is the one thing from the Simpsons I'll always remember after the Simpson's movie. There's something about both it and the use of Chopin's music that gets me, along with Marge saying "HAIL THE DARK LORD OF THE TWIN MOONS."

SicklyVivian wrote:

I never kept up with the Simpsons simply because I haven't really watched TV on a regular basis since like the late 2010's but as far as the series goes despite whatever blunders it had then and now, the couch gag from Hertzfeld is the one thing from the Simpsons I'll always remember after the Simpson's movie. There's something about both it and the use of Chopin's music that gets me, along with Marge saying "HAIL THE DARK LORD OF THE TWIN MOONS."

That’s a great couch gag. Loved every second of that one.

SicklyVivian wrote:

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country"
Well damn. Thankfully there's also this upload:

(All is the same, except the end has an added Krusty reaction)
If somebody still can't watch the Don Hertzfeld couch gag, just know it's from S26E01 – Clown in the Dumps.

Last edited Apr 11, 2021 at 10:48PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!