Forums / Discussion / General

232,891 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Does anyone know why YouTube keeps shoving music reaction videos on my face even though I never clicked on one?

Last posted Jan 09, 2022 at 10:53AM EST. Added Jan 08, 2022 at 12:22PM EST
8 posts from 5 users

There's something that's been really bugging me about YouTube's search algorithm.

I often use YouTube to look for music tracks, and after some time, I noticed that there's an inordinately large amount of reaction channels appearing in the "People Also Watched" window as well as appearing on the top of the search results every time I try to search for almost any song.

I even tried nuking my entire search/watch history, and while it worked for some time, those stupid reaction videos just eventually keep coming back to the top of my search lists!

It got so annoying that I eventually tried experimenting using incognito windows to check if the algorithm still applies if you're logged out, and as it turns out, the algorithm turns back to normal if you're not logged in.

Can anyone explain what's going on here? I have never ever clicked on music reaction videos, and yet they appear to get recommended to me almost all the time.

Last edited Jan 08, 2022 at 12:26PM EST

There's a big enough overlap between people who watch music videos and people who watch reactions to music videos that the algorithm will keep recommending them to you. If you can keep hitting "don't recommend channel" each time they pop up that might filter most of them out.

Set wrote:

There's a big enough overlap between people who watch music videos and people who watch reactions to music videos that the algorithm will keep recommending them to you. If you can keep hitting "don't recommend channel" each time they pop up that might filter most of them out.

Here's the kicker, though: since I actually go out of my way to avoid clicking them, they don't appear on my homepage's recommendation list so I can't scratch out the channels that keep appearing in the search results' top pages themselves by using the "Don't Recommend" feature, unless they somehow start appearing on a video recommendation list

Last edited Jan 09, 2022 at 04:15AM EST

VS Upholstery wrote:

try use some blockers for youtube. They try to get as much money as they can from advertisements so dont be surprised they are pushing these as well.

Alright, what do you suggest?

SaturnSL1 wrote:

Ublock origin 8 and AdBlock. work great on youtube and this site as well

Already have those two installed and my search pages are still infested with people making exaggerated facial expressions

Those two block ads like a charm, but not unwanted videos unfortunately

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!