Forums / Discussion / General

232,891 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Need help with improving the worldbuilding of my favorite artist's sci-fi setting

Last posted Jun 22, 2022 at 07:04AM EDT. Added Jun 05, 2022 at 08:45AM EDT
10 posts from 3 users

A little bit of introduction. Some of you guys who often visit the Furries gallery may be familiar with a certain Darbaras, otherwise known as Elise Heider. Most of her art depicts her original science fiction setting with anthropomorphic animals known as the Odraani Paktum, which you can check out here. The articles cover a lot of aspects of the setting, including the universe, technology, army, society and government of the Paktum.

I recently read through the setting's background which was described in great detail and had a discussion over how to improve and expand the Odraani Pact setting with the artist herself.

Now, I'm no science fiction writer or even an expert in space travel and physics, and can only sporadically give her advice on small tidbits for the Odraverse, but if any of you guys are more familiar with sci-fi writing/worldbuilding, can you guys help give advice on how to further improve this world's writing, perhaps give constructive criticism and point out flaws/contradictions, etc? It'd be much appreciated if you can help this budding artist create a truly memorable sci-fi world in the anthro community

Last edited Jun 05, 2022 at 08:51AM EDT

wisehowl_the_2nd wrote:

What is the purpose of this setting? Is it to give expanded context to the art or is it part of some larger media project (novel, video game, ttrpg, etc.)?

For now, it's mostly the former, serving as an contextual setting to Darbaras' anthropomorphic sci-fi artworks, but in the future she may be planning to collaborate with some other artists to write a graphic novel/webcomic

For example, we have this art of OC Helena Kottman as a quartermaster in the Odraani Army/Navy:

And a detailed explanation of the Odraani setting's armed forces structure in this page:
https://www.worldanvil.com/w/odraani-darbaras/a/core-navy-organization

You can check the artist's galleries here:
https://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/darbaras/folder/301470/Odraani-Pact
https://twitter.com/EliseHeider/media

Last edited Jun 06, 2022 at 12:11PM EDT

Hm, okay. I've fiddled around with world anvil a bit to do some worldbuilding for a tabletop setting of mine but not nearly as much as your friend. Generally though I'd say how you approach it should be dependent on your goals for the project. In mine the project was an RPG where the players would be involved in a continent-spanning fantasy conflict with fantasy races/magic/et cetera. So the worldbuilding priorities were to establish the fantasy races, magic systems, factions, geography, and other such things to give the ones who would be engaging with the world the info needed to engage with it. This seems to be a military-centered sci-fi art project

I want to be cautious as I go further because I don't want to backseat GM here, but I'll try to be focused. I'd say right now it gives a good impression of the organizational level of the military that most of these characters seem to belong to. There's setup for the environments of their homelands and the setting which I think most of the art is depicted in (the ocean planet and military craft). The weapons and technology have begun to have some worldbuilding on them, but there's room for more of that.

Some exploration of the species' traits of the Empire in regards to the habitability may be needed, as there seems to be an emphasis on the habitability of planets for the Empire when it seems to be a collection of a multitude of different furry species. It raises some questions in my mind ("if furry universe where people have animal traits and military deploying to ocean planet why send snake person instead of fish person") though I can understand that may open a can o' worms ("can x furry race and y furry race make babbies").

The factions tab is probably the area most ripe for expansion. A deeper look at states/cultures/species/ethnicities within the Empire can perhaps give deeper meaning to the character-heavy art thus far. An exploration of allies that work alongside the characters or antagonists who work against the characters' interests may also add to it (I see this already with one of their latest pieces on the shark species). The art so far and webcomics are very character-heavy so worldbuilding that helps elevate the audience's understanding of those characters is what interests a lot of people I think. In military organizations in media an easy way to do that is with the organizations themselves, different ones having their different "lore" behind them. Marines often get this a lot being the "first to fight" and "the few, the proud". Giving more history to these organizations or even smaller units can go a long way into telling us the motivations of these characters without the characters explicitly telling us themselves, we as the audience understand the prestige and prowess of the organization so we then understand a bit more about the characters.

Overall I don't think there's anything like… "wrong" so far. It's just a bit dense in some places to read and could use more focus on the characters since that seems to be the objective of the art. I also really like Helena's design so tell your friend to make more of her.

wisehowl_the_2nd wrote:

Hm, okay. I've fiddled around with world anvil a bit to do some worldbuilding for a tabletop setting of mine but not nearly as much as your friend. Generally though I'd say how you approach it should be dependent on your goals for the project. In mine the project was an RPG where the players would be involved in a continent-spanning fantasy conflict with fantasy races/magic/et cetera. So the worldbuilding priorities were to establish the fantasy races, magic systems, factions, geography, and other such things to give the ones who would be engaging with the world the info needed to engage with it. This seems to be a military-centered sci-fi art project

I want to be cautious as I go further because I don't want to backseat GM here, but I'll try to be focused. I'd say right now it gives a good impression of the organizational level of the military that most of these characters seem to belong to. There's setup for the environments of their homelands and the setting which I think most of the art is depicted in (the ocean planet and military craft). The weapons and technology have begun to have some worldbuilding on them, but there's room for more of that.

Some exploration of the species' traits of the Empire in regards to the habitability may be needed, as there seems to be an emphasis on the habitability of planets for the Empire when it seems to be a collection of a multitude of different furry species. It raises some questions in my mind ("if furry universe where people have animal traits and military deploying to ocean planet why send snake person instead of fish person") though I can understand that may open a can o' worms ("can x furry race and y furry race make babbies").

The factions tab is probably the area most ripe for expansion. A deeper look at states/cultures/species/ethnicities within the Empire can perhaps give deeper meaning to the character-heavy art thus far. An exploration of allies that work alongside the characters or antagonists who work against the characters' interests may also add to it (I see this already with one of their latest pieces on the shark species). The art so far and webcomics are very character-heavy so worldbuilding that helps elevate the audience's understanding of those characters is what interests a lot of people I think. In military organizations in media an easy way to do that is with the organizations themselves, different ones having their different "lore" behind them. Marines often get this a lot being the "first to fight" and "the few, the proud". Giving more history to these organizations or even smaller units can go a long way into telling us the motivations of these characters without the characters explicitly telling us themselves, we as the audience understand the prestige and prowess of the organization so we then understand a bit more about the characters.

Overall I don't think there's anything like… "wrong" so far. It's just a bit dense in some places to read and could use more focus on the characters since that seems to be the objective of the art. I also really like Helena's design so tell your friend to make more of her.

In the meantime, have a full-fledged concept art of a regular Odraani trooper in their standard issue enviro suit getup used by both the Army and Navy :)

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!