Forums / Discussion / General

232,883 total conversations in 7,786 threads

+ New Thread

Embracer Group has bought the rights to the ENTIRE The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit IP

Last posted Aug 25, 2022 at 11:59PM EDT. Added Aug 18, 2022 at 04:34PM EDT
10 posts from 9 users

I'm putting this in general as it deals with the IP in all mediums and not just video games. But yep indeed, Embracer Group, a shockingly loaded parent company that owns many different studios and IPs mainly in the realm of video gaming (owning THQ Nordic, Free Radical, Eidos, Crystal Dynamics, etc, and all the IPs associated with them like Dues Ex, Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain, Timesplitters, and Saints Row) has made a pretty huge acquisition for something that goes beyond just video games. As of August 2022 the rights to JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings is now wholly owned by Embracer

What exactly Embracer will do with the IP going forward does remain to be seen, and it's safe to assume Tolkien related media already in the making is still gonna be released under the companies that got the license to use the IP prior to the acquisition (like Amazon's "Rings of Power" series and the upcoming Gollum game from Daedalic), but boy that's quite the acquisition to be made by such an "unknown" company. Like I mean when Disney got Star Wars it was seen as not being overly surprising given Disney's history with the IP prior to buying it in full from George Lucas, but for a mostly unknown company that really only began making waves in the past couple of years to acquire such a big name IP is a real surprise.

Wonder if the current "intentionally spiteing the icons of the past" trend will be over by the time they make something out of this.

I miss the dune 1984 "my director is a wierdo" style of movie bombing, the ryan johnson's star wars "my director has a vapid ideological nit to pick with the original" fuckups has been pretty demoralizing in it's frequency lately.

Last edited Aug 19, 2022 at 02:26AM EDT

I dont understand the reaction where we are assuming Embracer is going to do worse? They've consistently been buying ips and then instantly turning around and actually letting the people who want to make the games actually make them unlike ea or Ubisoft or square enix who sit on ips just to let them gather rust so other people cant play with their toys.

Like, they are the ones who have been greenlighting all the remakes of b tier games from the ps2 generation that people have been liking like battle for bikini bottom and destroy all humans. Apparently they are letting the deus ex devs actually make a new deus ex and are working on a reboot to the alone in the dark franchise thats actually got effort in it.

A podcast I watch had a good description of embracer. They operate like a mob while triple a companies are as scummy as the mob but with 0 competence. The mob will buy you out then funnel money to you for you to produce more money, while triple a industry will buy you out and then dump you in a garbage disposal.

I'm actually quite cautiously optimistic that we might get something good out of their recent purchases.

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Greyblades wrote:

Wonder if the current "intentionally spiteing the icons of the past" trend will be over by the time they make something out of this.

I miss the dune 1984 "my director is a wierdo" style of movie bombing, the ryan johnson's star wars "my director has a vapid ideological nit to pick with the original" fuckups has been pretty demoralizing in it's frequency lately.

Ah yes the imaginary propaganda
not the fact that it's a near incoherent mess that utterly shits all over lore

Mistress Fortune wrote:

I'm putting this in general as it deals with the IP in all mediums and not just video games. But yep indeed, Embracer Group, a shockingly loaded parent company that owns many different studios and IPs mainly in the realm of video gaming (owning THQ Nordic, Free Radical, Eidos, Crystal Dynamics, etc, and all the IPs associated with them like Dues Ex, Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain, Timesplitters, and Saints Row) has made a pretty huge acquisition for something that goes beyond just video games. As of August 2022 the rights to JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings is now wholly owned by Embracer

What exactly Embracer will do with the IP going forward does remain to be seen, and it's safe to assume Tolkien related media already in the making is still gonna be released under the companies that got the license to use the IP prior to the acquisition (like Amazon's "Rings of Power" series and the upcoming Gollum game from Daedalic), but boy that's quite the acquisition to be made by such an "unknown" company. Like I mean when Disney got Star Wars it was seen as not being overly surprising given Disney's history with the IP prior to buying it in full from George Lucas, but for a mostly unknown company that really only began making waves in the past couple of years to acquire such a big name IP is a real surprise.

Did a bit of research and learned that Embracer Group also owns Dark Horse Comics. You were not wrong to say they were shockingly loaded

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!