Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Dead Memes?

Last posted Jun 12, 2011 at 04:12PM EDT. Added Jun 10, 2011 at 12:35AM EDT
21 posts from 15 users

I just looked at all of the memes you listed. They are still there. You are an idiot and should be in site-related anyway.

Last edited Jun 10, 2011 at 12:40AM EDT

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Dead memes are extreamly hard to research, as any evidence of spread is deleted after awile. I tried to research one before but I gave up.

What one, may I ask? I find old memes cool.

You know, it's hard to tell if a meme is dead or not. A meme can't even die- anyone might bring it back to life by posting a right picture in the right place (usually 4chan).
That is not dead which can eternal lie…

Ben Drowned! wrote:

@Tomberry

A dead meme is a internet meme that was very popular but then suddenly vanished. Like ate my balls, you don't see that anymore.

The simple act of bringing it up in this very post implies the meme isn't dead.
When people are still talking about it, even if it isn't contributing to the meme itself, it still stands as bringing popularity, or at least attention, to it.
For instance, I've seen very recent articles about "old" memes that included "Ate My Balls".

True, people aren't willing to make new macros anymore, but they still remember it quite a bit.

Kalmo wrote:

I just looked at all of the memes you listed. They are still there. You are an idiot and should be in site-related anyway.

Wow, fuck you too man. Honest question from someone who doesn't see things the way you do.

Nyar wrote:

I would say a "dead" meme could be regarded as one that does not present new mutations and have become stale…

How would anyone ever know if there were no new mutations? You'd have to see all of the entire internet to assess that. It's impossible.
Memes can pass their peak, but I don't think any of it truly dies. The only way I could see a meme dying is if it was such a small one that no one bothered to identify it as a meme in the first place.

thatryanguy wrote:

I would say that a meme is dead once it's used for profit. IE: Peter singing the Burger King/Carol of the Bells song.

Religion is a meme.
Religion is used for profit all the time.
I wish Religion was dead but it's obviously not.
Your argument is invalid.

Yes, language is a meme. Lanugage is also made of memes. Many memes are also made of language.
I'm not saying everyone else is wrong. I'm saying that everyone who says everyone else is wrong is wrong.
But I'm glad that you're picking up on my annoyance with people who think that their opinion is the deciding authority of memes.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!