Forums / Media / Moving Images

18,567 total conversations in 823 threads

+ New Thread

Kari, Tory, and Grant leaving Mythbusters

Last posted Aug 23, 2014 at 11:56AM EDT. Added Aug 22, 2014 at 01:38PM EDT
9 posts from 8 users

In case you haven't heard:

It's the end of an era for MythBusters: Kari Byron, Tory Belleci and Grant Imahara are leaving the series. Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman announced the fan-favorites would depart the show at the end of the Thursday, Aug. 21 episode of the hit Discovery program.

[. . .]

Adam and Jamie will return to being the sole hosts of the science series when it returns with new episodes.

Adam savage shared the photo below on twitter with the caption "@KariByron, @grantimahara & @ToryBelleci, it's been a pleasure to not only work with you but call you our friends."

I am massively disappointed by this. These guys added so much to the show, and it's a shame to see Discovery treating them this way. But instead of mourning their absence, I want to celebrate how great they were. On that note, here's a video of the three of them building an earthquake machine:

Man that just makes me think of how long it's been since I've seen Mythbusters.

As much as I thought Kari, Tory, and Grant were a fun part of the show the myths they focused on weren't quite as engaging to me as Adam and Jaimie's were. Are they leaving because Discovery cut them or are they leaving through their own choice?

Crimson Locks wrote:

Man that just makes me think of how long it's been since I've seen Mythbusters.

As much as I thought Kari, Tory, and Grant were a fun part of the show the myths they focused on weren't quite as engaging to me as Adam and Jaimie's were. Are they leaving because Discovery cut them or are they leaving through their own choice?

I'm thinking it's the former rather than the latter.

I happen to have an old high school friend who does a lot of production work and has been on contract with Discovery shows before. Here's what he wrote on Facebook:

In another astonishing fail from Discovery, they have decided to let go of Kari, Grant and Tori from the Mythbusters team. Maybe if they had any sort of logical air schedule so people could actually watch the show or if it was available on line somewhere the show would still draw enough attention. Discovery has become a very very sad place to be. A channel that was founded on science and honesty is now a place for made up shows (Amish Mafia and Megaladon Lives). The worst part is that they've taken their actual informative shows and put them on a specialty channel where they are virtually out of reach for most people.

So they've fallen into the same pit as the History channel and TLC: filling up their time slots with pointless nonsense while pushing out the shows that actually fit with their original mandate. Mythbusters has been a casualty of that, and has suffered a drop in ratings.

Hey, at least they've been around for a long-ass time. It's not like these things could last forever. (I think it was in 2005 when the trio finally became a permanent fixture. Nine years is pretty impressive.) And I'm positive they'll have absolutely no problem finding careers to settle on, considering the level of expertise they've got. And overall, they really seem like the kind of people who know how to look on the bright side. I wish good luck to them.

as a person following the footsteps of engineering i've always loved the mythbusters.

i like the trio just as much as jamie and adam, but seing them go away is just sad.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!