Forums / Media / Moving Images

18,567 total conversations in 823 threads

+ New Thread

Thundercats Roar - A Reboot That's Causing The Internet To Freak Out

Last posted May 26, 2018 at 10:46PM EDT. Added May 19, 2018 at 01:39PM EDT
18 posts from 16 users

So yesterday, Cartoon Network announced that Thundercats would be rebooted as a TTG-esque show known as Thundercats Roar and boy people are negative about it. While the designs are kinda OK KO-ish, fans are upset that Thundercats are being rebooted as a comedic-action show. On Twitter, the creators are kinda poking at a hornet's nest by making jabs at the complainers.

chowzburgerz wrote:

So yesterday, Cartoon Network announced that Thundercats would be rebooted as a TTG-esque show known as Thundercats Roar and boy people are negative about it. While the designs are kinda OK KO-ish, fans are upset that Thundercats are being rebooted as a comedic-action show. On Twitter, the creators are kinda poking at a hornet's nest by making jabs at the complainers.

It looks like shit like TTG and the creators are shit like TTG. Won’t be surprised if it gets as many seasons as TTG unfortunately.

Yeeeaaaah I'm not a huge fan of it in both the style and the direction. Sure it's "made for kids" but that's just a really low level to stoop to for the Thundercats IP, y'know? Thundercats was made to be awesome and have villains and a story and such, not just "haha funny joke xd" stuff, especially in the style it's being made in.

It's a bad show made by bad artists whose work looks like bootleg owlturd comics. Thundercats was an okay show as a reboot, but it certainly didn't deserve to be maimed into this.

A Wolf wrote:

Yeeeaaaah I'm not a huge fan of it in both the style and the direction. Sure it's "made for kids" but that's just a really low level to stoop to for the Thundercats IP, y'know? Thundercats was made to be awesome and have villains and a story and such, not just "haha funny joke xd" stuff, especially in the style it's being made in.

Yep, the “it’s for kids” excuse doesn’t fly since there are and were other cartoons made for kids that didn’t look like complete garbage.

Ashki wrote:

Yep, the “it’s for kids” excuse doesn’t fly since there are and were other cartoons made for kids that didn’t look like complete garbage.

Also, why use an already existing series if you're just going to ignore what the series even was? Just make something from scratch FFS.

Simplified art is the trend nowadays, just like the grimdark teen cartoons a while back with generator rex, the good thundercats reboot, ben 10 alien force and secret saturdays. Or the "kids with toys" trend like beyblade metal fusion, bakugan, crossfire, and others i don't even remember.

Not that i like it but we can hope it will pass and something better takes place.

Last edited May 20, 2018 at 08:11AM EDT

superjumpman wrote:

Simplified art is the trend nowadays, just like the grimdark teen cartoons a while back with generator rex, the good thundercats reboot, ben 10 alien force and secret saturdays. Or the "kids with toys" trend like beyblade metal fusion, bakugan, crossfire, and others i don't even remember.

Not that i like it but we can hope it will pass and something better takes place.

I suppose that's true, and I can't fault Cartoon Network for chasing a trend, but I can complain about it on the internet and point out everything wrong with that choice. Like how it prepetuates the low quality ever present content that is "The Relatible Meme".

Look guys, I put a caption above an image and nothing else, about something hard in life. I sure am a creative soul with a ton of imagination. So I'll just flood the entire internet with this creativity and make sure it gets everywhere. Because I can only enjoy something that points out a unique yet universally frustrating part of young adult life, and nothing else. After all, we wouldn't want to offend or upset someone with a wrong opinion or visually distinct sequence.

I don't like the idea of the show myself, but I hope most of the fanbase does the sensible thing and just ignore the show thus not supporting it or criticise it without stooping to the creators' level of silliness (who have not gone to Teen Titans Go level) or going COD fan of dickery towards creators. And don't go Sonic or Steven Universe levels of dickery with anyone who may find the show okay or like it, especially kids.

Last edited May 21, 2018 at 11:02PM EDT

I already said what I was going to say but like, it does seem like it would be a bad reboot from what I see, but like, I think a lot of the people criticizing it seem to be a bunch of stuck-up 90s kids & weebs who seem to fail to realize both that each of the cartoons their complaining about actually have like, their own unique albeit still similar artstyles, and the similarness in art styles is more or less just like, the same reason Walt Disney & Fleischer Cartoons look vaguely similar, it's more or less just a culture/current time period thing and cartoons having similar art styles isn't something brand new.

Honestly, who gives a shit.

The only reason I think TTGO is a massive blight for animation is because it takes up slots and resources from other shows and it feels like CN actively plays favorites.

If little kids like this show then let them. Imagine if some grown ass man told you not to watch DBZ or Ed Edd and Eddy because its not like the 60s cartoons he grew up with.

Its obviously not made for us. Something like SU was written with really heavy themes that anyone can enjoy, Gumball has references for adults, this was obviously made for little kids only.

But I guess if you were a fan of the original this would be pretty irritating. Other than that this feels like this tired 'da 90s 00s were da best' overreaction.

superjumpman wrote:

It's not a "trend" in the fashion of "Hey, this series is popular, we should try to emulate it" as it is "Hey, here is a cheap, lazy, zero effort way to make a cartoon that will get people to watch based on name alone and even if it isn't popular, it will still make money so why even bother trying to make quality shows anymore"

I guarantee that if this wasn't a reboot, and it was it's own thing, only a few people on /co/ would have gotten mad at the artstyle. It's the fact that it's another cheap comedy reboot combined with an honestly saturated artstyle that's gotten people mad. It is a clear sign as to the state of Cartoon Network's mindset and business model and it pisses people off, rightly so, because you shouldn't make TV shows with the sole goal of making money and flipping the bird at the idea of giving quality entertainment in return.

I never even watched Thundercats and this disgusts me, because it's crystal clear that this is just an attempt to make as much money as possible with as little money and effort as possible. That is what people should be mad about, not the art style.

I might as well add on my issues with Thundercats Roar here, I get that Action Cartoons are hard to make (mainly the ones that rely more on story than toys), I get that some people genuinely like Teen Titans Go (I'm not a fan of it myself because it's too annoying for my taste among other reasons), and I get that action cartoons work better on streaming services like Netflix and the upcoming DC Universe service rather than TV as RebelTaxi pointed out.

My issue is that I really am scavenging for table scraps when it comes to action shows these days due to either most of them getting cancelled super early (Thundercats 2011, Sym-Bionic Titan, Spectactular Spider-Man, Green Lantern, among others), ended up not being shows that I'm a fan of (Voltron and Avatar sadly), or are only on TV which nowadays, I find to be an incovenient pain in the ass for too many reasons to list when compared to the internet. Sure, there is anime but for many reasons I've kind of soured on it again.

Currently, I'm working off of old DVDs of Gargoyles and DCAU shows (and whatever else I can find since I have trouble finding legal copies of some cartoons like the old 90s Spider-Man and Hulk seasons in their entirety), Reading tons of comics, Watching a bit of The Flash every so often since it's the closest I have so far to an action cartoon(and hoping that I can tolerate it later seasons since I'm still on S1), Waiting for Gravity Falls to hit Blu-Ray(which has action elements and I find funnier than most cartoons these days), Waiting for Castlevania S2 to come out, and Waiting for that DC Universe service to launch. So yeah, a whole lot of waiting in the hope that action cartoons will return. It's kinda like how long it took for 3D Platformers to return which thankfully that wait is slowly paying off with Super Mario Oddysey and A Hat In Time coming out and being amazing. (BTW can anyone recommend me any other legally available action shows like maybe TrollHunters?)

But instead, I'm getting Thundercats Roar. Another in the line of overly comedic stuff like Teen Titans Go, The Powerpuff Girls Reboot, and The Ben 10 Reboot. So you'll have to forgive me if my first response went something like this,

You can argue to me that it hasn't come out yet and it couldn't be that bad. But I'm going with my gut instinct that even if doesn't turn out to be terrible, do you really think it will be funny enough in my eyes? Do you really it won't make wish I was watching the 2011 reboot again? Probably not.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!