Forums / Media / Moving Images

18,567 total conversations in 823 threads

+ New Thread

What's your thoughts on 2000s and 90s anime?

Last posted Aug 24, 2019 at 10:31AM EDT. Added Aug 16, 2019 at 09:03PM EDT
10 posts from 9 users

I'd say that was the golden age of anime, because of shows like Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex, Fullmetal Alchemist, Gunsmith Cats, InuYasha, Black Butler, Black Lagoon, both Hellsing and Hellsing: Ultimate, the TV anime adaptation of Golgo 13, Initial D, and many more that I forget the names of.

Whether people these days realize it or not, "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" revolutionized modern anime. From what I know, it popularized the moe-type anime genre and started the world-wide otaku trend. Among other things, light novels became a profitable source for anime adaptations, it was KyoAni's first big hit, and if you were an anime fan in the mid to late 2000s, chances are you know something about Haruhi. Anime started to find new audiences in the west, and it's all thanks to this girl and her gang of supernatural misfits!

I mostly just watch OVAs exclusively during that time period but there are some great shows floating around. Lots of realized potential and excellent standards. Isn't too degenerative like 2010s and not overtly fundamental seen in the early half of the 1980s. They hold a lot of entries I would definitely call timeless.

Like most, I'd say these years were the golden age, but this is also when Anime slowly began to both flourish in the West and in my personal interest. I would be lying if nostalgia didn't clout my judgement somewhat. Anyhow, what I like about this period is that a lot of shows were entirely original works, concluded their narratives, and were far more creative than what we have today. This was also before we would see a bloated amount of anime being produced and the Otaku's stranglehold on the industry wasn't anywhere as severe as it is today

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the anime we have now, but I feel it has stagnated for several years now. An overwhelming amount of Anime now are Manga adaptions, greenlit for a single season, left unfinished and forgotten, and cater towards Otakus.

The time period where anime really, really got big (specially in America) to the point we saw for the first time, western cartoons taking inspiration from Japan, the first examples of this being Teen Titans, Avatar the Last Airbender, and the greatest anime-cartoon show ever made, Kappa Mikey.

But for both mediums it was also the time period were the use of digital tools were being tested: anime studios experimenting with CGI and western cartoons started to animate with flash instead of cell animation.

I don't watch much anime but in regards to 90s anime, I do enjoy the idea of watching the animes I seen back in my childhood. Stuff like Outlaw Star, Tenchi Muyo, and Blue Submarine No. 6. They are what made it worth watching Toonami back then aside from the other cartoons on that block. Adult Swim did the same in showing me some stuff that moved over from Toonami such as Big O when it moved there, either before or after Toonami was taken down.

For 2000s anime, I can't say much for that except that Ghost Stories was one of the best dubs in existence since it helped make the cartoon more watchable and much more humorous since I hear its original dub was pretty mediocre.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!