Forums / Media / Music

6,760 total conversations in 425 threads

+ New Thread

Post Songs with Good Bass Riffs

Last posted Apr 29, 2016 at 03:39AM EDT. Added Apr 09, 2016 at 11:25PM EDT
23 posts from 20 users

Recently, I've found myself appreciating the bass guitar more, and I feel like the bass is underrated. So how about we start posting songs with top-notch bass riffs? I'll start with a little Rush:

Of course I haven't listened to one ten-thousandth of one percent of all music ever made, but still I feel pretty confident in saying that this song is in the running for greatest bass performance of all time.

What makes this even more amazing is that not only did John Entwistle perform this entirely in the first take, but by his own account he was just fucking around.

To get an even better idea of the brilliance on display, here it is isolated from the rest of the band:

One of the commenters says it better than I could:

"I've never been a Who fan, but I've been researching bass guitar and I came across this song. I love the use of the bass. He uses pretty much the entire range of the bass in a way that is all at once melodic, soloistic, and yet harmonically supportive of the song as a whole. It works so well in music like this that it's easy to see what all the fuss is about here!"

I like alot of Thundercat's work. Ever since I heard his vocals and bass on Kendrick Lamar's "To Pimp a Butterfly" and Flying Lotus' "You're Dead!", I've been listening to his music.

Last edited Apr 10, 2016 at 01:24AM EDT

Ignore the AMV, it's the only non-cover of the song I could find on youtube

Maximum the Hormone – Black Yen Power G-Man Spy

I would post RHCP (since Flea is one of the more famous bassists) but someone beat me to the punch.

Surprised no one said Les Claypool of Primus, but to me, an underrated bassist is Tim Commerford of Rage Against The Machine. Listen to the intro of Killing In The Name, No Shelter, Township Rebellion, and Know Your Enemy.

Last edited Apr 10, 2016 at 03:48AM EDT

That last one is incredibly simplistic, but god it works so well

This next one is actually a bass synth.

Shout out also to everything Victor Wooten, Chris Squire, John Entwhistle and John Paul Jones have ever done. Also the end of the Chain by Fleetwood Mac.

Last edited Apr 20, 2016 at 09:42AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!