Forums / Media / Music

6,760 total conversations in 425 threads

+ New Thread

Music Recommendation General

Last posted Mar 22, 2017 at 06:58AM EDT. Added Jan 07, 2017 at 07:41PM EST
5 posts from 5 users

I figured a lot of us at KYM don't seem to go out of our comfort zones when it comes to music, so lets change that!
Please use this thread to recommend people music that you think should be listened to more or to find music you wouldn't usually discover without looking around.
Apologies in advance if what I recommend seems entry level, but I just want to start the thread with these.
Rap for the "Rap? More like CRAP" crowd
Madvillan- MadVillany Great rap album that inspired many to come after, dark yet fun and a great listen.
Sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weWTuvdL-LQ
Folk that isn't boring
Sufjan Stevens – Illinois a beautiful album that while extremely long is an extraordinary experience, this album uses a wide variety of instruments and even a choir for most song. Every song is about the state of Illinois and the singers experiences there, I highly recommend it for anyone.
Sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bQJdAqbQJ0
Pop for those who hate whats on the radio
Everything Everything – Get To Heaven
A 2015 release that deals with topics like terrorism but uses pop tropes and melodies to make for a very interesting and catchy album.
Sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOUuWZ8-hBg

I want to start listening to experimental music
The Velvet Underground and Nico

Combines catchy, memorable rock tunes while using experimental/avant-garde sounds and song structuring with thematic storytelling. Great for someone's first choice of an album if they want to start listening to music that's a bit left-field, as well as a good choice for understanding concepts like how noise, atonality and dissonance can be used to good effect in music.

Sample

I want to get a feel for all forms of electronic music
Aphex Twin – Selected Ambient Works 85-92

basically a snapshot of all forms of 90s electronica (drum and bass, idm, techno, ambient, downtempo, yadda yadda boring shit), as well as showing various influences from older electronic music that helped build a basis for not just modern electronica today, but music in general (Tangerine Dream, Brian Eno, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Karl Schulze, Kraftwerk, yadda yadda boring shit). has beats, has ambience, has mood, has experimental soundscapes, it's all good.

also very nostalgic for lots, mostly due to how it introduced a lot of people to electronic-based music, and also because of its whole reverb-y, otherworldly atmosphere

Sample

Give me the craziest, wackest, trippiest hip-hop you know
Divine Styler – Spiral Walls Containing Autumns of Light

ever get a feeling so complicated

Sample

I want to explore some alternative early sounds

Joy Division

Probably some of the earliest post-punk musicians, with some really awesome songs. Ian Curtis, became a legendary figure in the early underground music scene especially among the Punk/PostPunk and Goth subcultures.

Joy Division

That's all good and all, but I want something more obscure, and synthetic

Martin Dupont

Looking for some of that French sound? Something that you can lord over the hipsters? The quintessential coldwave band from the mid 80s, Martin Dupont is got some weirdly catchy songs, with great synths.

Martin Dupont

My musical tastes have reached an apex of obscure insanity, I need to go over the cliff!

Dvar

At a certain point in life you just want to gaze at insanity. Dvar gazes back at you. This "Lightwave" band from Russia is founded by two anonymous guys, who sing in screeching Enochian, while playing some insane music that you'll never hear from anyone else.

DVAR

Give me some happy sounding electronica to brighten my mood!
Ujico/Snail's House

Basically most of his songs are upbeat and just mood enhancing songs. Dabbles mostly in Future Bass but has an overall cheery tone to most of his songs.
Favorite song atm is 恋するSpaceGirl

I just want to relax and unwind with some hip-hop
Joseph Jacobs

Is basically a hip-hop instrumental artist. His tracks sound a lot like those Adult Swim bumps, as well as Nujabes. Very very relaxing to listen to.
Favorite song atm is Pages

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!