Forums / Media / Music

6,760 total conversations in 425 threads

+ New Thread

Times when members of one band formed a new one but without a certain member of the original

Last posted Nov 16, 2017 at 02:12PM EST. Added Nov 15, 2017 at 12:16PM EST
5 posts from 5 users

The title probably sounds a bit confusing so let me explain through example.

Alter Bridge

Alter Bridge is a rock band formed up of most of the members of Creed. The biggest difference is that Creed's infamous lead vocalist, Scott Stapp, is NOT in Alter Bridge, instead vocals are provided by Myles Kennedy. The general consensus is that Alter Bridge is a huge improvement over Creed, leading many to realize Stapp was the weakest link in Creed, and that without him the other members (plus Kennedy) are able to really shine and put out music that's actually well liked by many.

Wovenwar

Similar to Alter Bridge, most of Wovenwar is made up of members of a previous band minus the lead vocalist of said previous band. In this case As I Lay Dying, a metalcore band that was pretty big back in the 00s. AILD's vocalist Tim Lambesis was arrested in 2013 because he tried to hire a hitman to murder his wife (the "hitman" he contacted turned out to be an undercover cop), and the rest of the band decided it was better to just abandon the As I Lay Dying name since they knew the name would now be connected to Lambesis' infamy. They hired Shane Bay of Oh, Sleeper to be their new vocalist and reformed under the new name Wovenwar.

The Draft
The Draft was a band formed that in 2006 by three members of Hot Water Music after Chuck Ragan took an absence from his usual post-hardcore in pursuit of country/folk punk. The three still wanted to make music together but deciding to go under a different moniker. Their discography only consist of their debut album and two EPs (though Google would say otherwise, but I think there's another band that's calling themselves 'The Draft'). The Draft didn't last too long as Ragan came back a year later to reform Hot Water Music.

New Order was formed after Joy Division’s singer Ian Curtis committed suicide in 1980. JD’s guitarist/keyboardist Bernard Sumner became NO’s frontman. Shortly thereafter, they recruited drummer Stephen Morris’s girlfriend-now-wife Gillian Gilbert to play keyboards and guitar.

Axwell Λ Ingrosso is an EDM duo comprised of former Swedish House Mafia members Axwell and Sebastian Ingrosso. The main difference between them and SHM is that Steve Angello, the third member of SHM is not in the duo, so it's kinda like SHM minus Steve Angello.

Audioslave consisted of Soundgarden lead singer/rhythm guitarist Chris Cornell and Rage Against the Machine members Tom Morello (lead guitar), Tim Commerford (bass/backing vocals), and Brad Wilk (drums). Critics first described Audioslave as a combination of Soundgarden and Rage Against the Machine, but by the band's second album, Out of Exile, it was noted that they had established a separate identity.

yes I did just copy/paste this from wikipedia shut up

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!