Forums / Media / Music

6,760 total conversations in 425 threads

+ New Thread

Any overrated artists?

Last posted Mar 08, 2019 at 10:06AM EST. Added Feb 28, 2019 at 09:50AM EST
23 posts from 13 users

I have been on a musical hunt these days and everytime I find a new artist, someone on the internet thinks they are extremely overrated. So, I want to see who you guys think are overrated and I will respond saying my thoughts on that artist/band.

Bilbo Swaggins wrote:

Deafheaven is the most overrated musical act of the decade imo

I'm not a big heavy metal guy so my opinion most likely isn't valid but from what I heard, they're most likely overrated

tlddanny wrote:

I have been on a musical hunt these days and everytime I find a new artist, someone on the internet thinks they are extremely overrated. So, I want to see who you guys think are overrated and I will respond saying my thoughts on that artist/band.

I would say any mainstream artist, but that's a given
Other than that, honestly, music is a very subjective medium
if you ask the internet, anything that isn't a recording of radio static mixed with fingernails on a chalkboard is just "overrated pleb shit"

Patrick Star 3D Real wrote:

borderline all dadrock music

I can see what you're going for, especially the fact that the songs have a reputation of having "either dads or kids who think they are special" listening to them. (I wAs BoRn In ThE wRoNg GeNeRaTiOn)

tlddanny wrote:

I don't know man. I'm not the best guy to ask about hard rock, but Metallica has some good shit out there

Anything before the millennium is good Metallica. However, things changed when St. Anger came out. The new album is meh IMO.

Kenetic Kups wrote:

I would say any mainstream artist, but that's a given
Other than that, honestly, music is a very subjective medium
if you ask the internet, anything that isn't a recording of radio static mixed with fingernails on a chalkboard is just "overrated pleb shit"

So Merzbow is the most popular musical artist in history? I knew someone who tried to get me into him but eh I just couldn't find any real form of enjoyment out of Merzbow's style of "noise" music. Mostly because it's actually too loud (like I seriously can't ever listen to Merzbow while wearing headphones, even at low volume I'm worried it'll actually cause me to get hearing loss) and lacks a certain something for me to find it as nice mood music for appropriate situations. Like I know some Merzbow music might not be too different from the sort of mood music I like in horror games but music by people like Akira Yamaoka still has that "certain something" that makes me go "oh yeah I like this" while Merzbow makes me go "this feels like like those songs you'd hear in a movie played by some guy who says he only likes really underground stuff and it's supposed to sound bad on purpose."

I've always felt like "overrated" and "bad" aren't the same thing.

For instance, Gorillaz is my favorite band, but I think they're probably a little overrated. Same with Tool, also a favorite.
Really anything Albarn or Maynard, as much as I love them, there's a sort of reverence.

The_Applesauce wrote:

I've always felt like "overrated" and "bad" aren't the same thing.

For instance, Gorillaz is my favorite band, but I think they're probably a little overrated. Same with Tool, also a favorite.
Really anything Albarn or Maynard, as much as I love them, there's a sort of reverence.

I couldn't have said it better myself

While I personally object to the "dad rock" moniker and think there is some legitimate value to certain acts that fit under that umbrella I have to mention one group that is actually overrated that is considered "dad rock"

Led Zeppelin have a documented history of stealing riffs and melodies from countless other artists for their songs and not giving credit until they were pressured into doing so. As such the fact that they are revered to this day to such an extent is rather disgusting imo

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/led-zeppelins-10-boldest-rip-offs-223419/
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-music-ledzeppelin/led-zeppelin-must-face-new-trial-claiming-it-stole-stairway-riff-idUSKCN1M82ET
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/04/19/robert-plant-and-jimmy-page-blatantly-admit-to-stealing-their-music-led-zeppelin/

if there's any "dad rock" group that deserves to be called overrated, it's Led Zeppelin

Last edited Mar 02, 2019 at 11:22AM EST

Bilbo Swaggins wrote:

While I personally object to the "dad rock" moniker and think there is some legitimate value to certain acts that fit under that umbrella I have to mention one group that is actually overrated that is considered "dad rock"

Led Zeppelin have a documented history of stealing riffs and melodies from countless other artists for their songs and not giving credit until they were pressured into doing so. As such the fact that they are revered to this day to such an extent is rather disgusting imo

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/led-zeppelins-10-boldest-rip-offs-223419/
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-music-ledzeppelin/led-zeppelin-must-face-new-trial-claiming-it-stole-stairway-riff-idUSKCN1M82ET
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/04/19/robert-plant-and-jimmy-page-blatantly-admit-to-stealing-their-music-led-zeppelin/

if there's any "dad rock" group that deserves to be called overrated, it's Led Zeppelin

Not to mention they’re full on assholes
They said that if they used more than two notes of stairway to heaven in Wayne’s World they would have to pay 100,000 in royalties

^
Ima keep it real with ya, Adam.
I know U2 is one of the most important bands from late 80's that did survive towards the 90s as well the early 2000's. I know "The Joshua Tree" is one of the best selling albums from the 80s and is considered a classic. I know about Bono raising awareness about all the problems in the world. I know about ZOO TV, Live 8, all the charity events that Bono/U2 did in the past. The fact U2 is one of the few bands that comes in my country to make concerts (albeit only the major cities) speaks volumes for them. And I know that at some point even movie studios requested them to make songs.

BUT

If I have to choose between watching a U2 concert where Bono is giving me a sermon about how need to change everything to make a better world, comparing himself to Jesus and going full political and listening all RATM discography in my room while doing nothing. I personally I choose the later. And if you think I'm BS you, just watch "Rattle and Hum":

As The_Applesauce said, not always "Overrated = Bad". I think they're good musicians who can come up with anything to reinvent themselves, as they did it in the past (specially in the 90s). But is just I never was a fan of their songs (although part of my 80's music hate bias comes to play) , and considering that Bono comes as this pretentious artist who needs to save the world in every expensive world tour, it rubs me in a wrong way. Just like every Roger Waters "The Wall" show.

Guns N' Roses, big time. #1 proof that catchy =/ good. Sure, they're a bestselling artist, but overplays and Axl Rose being a dick as he is is more than enough to put me off from listening to drunk yobbos poorly singing wwooooOOAOooOOOaoh SWEE CHIL Oe' MAInYEEEEAH ever again.

Last edited Mar 03, 2019 at 10:23PM EST

OH YEAH wrote:

Guns N' Roses, big time. #1 proof that catchy =/ good. Sure, they're a bestselling artist, but overplays and Axl Rose being a dick as he is is more than enough to put me off from listening to drunk yobbos poorly singing wwooooOOAOooOOOaoh SWEE CHIL Oe' MAInYEEEEAH ever again.

Thank you! People find them as "incredible" because of Slash. For example: Their rendition of Live and Let Die is horrendous and people only think it's good because Guns n Roses made it.

Since I only made a post defending my favorite band when someone mentioned it here, I'll make an actual post.

So anyways…Sia. People say she has one of the best voices if not the best in today's music. I have no idea what they're smoking to hear that because to me her voice is HORRENDOUS! When she first started having hits in 2012 with songs like Wild Ones and Titanium, I didn't really like it, but then she came out with Chandelier and that song just makes my ears wince. I'm so glad that ADoseofBuckley also agrees that she sounds terrible, even though I don't like the fact he has badmouthed alt-J.

Oasis, their songs sound so samey, they're cunts who believe they are some legitimate Beatles successor, their voices are whiny and literally none of their lyrics are remotely interesting.

Yet at least over here, they are played so much, and one ever says anything about their music, maybe due to inoffensive blandness to it?

Insert SUNSHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE here

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!