Forums / Discussion / Q & A

3,264 total conversations in 493 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
thumbs down bots still here ?

Last posted Sep 23, 2017 at 10:08PM EDT. Added Sep 23, 2017 at 11:38AM EDT
11 posts from 9 users

A few months ago, I posted on the forum a problem I had that is actually still unsolved, and that problem is like that since like 1 year at least.

Everytime I post, my post systematically receive 1 "thumbs down" after a few seconds/minuts, like if it was a bot who does it.
Like even if I post on a topic that is 5 years old and noone cares about, I will still receive a thumbs down.

I don't really mind, but that's still a problem when every of my posts could be judged as "bad" because they all begin with a "-1".
I would have preferred having thumbs down when people don't like my comments instead of having a bot that gives me a thumbs down everytime, because that's the point of the thumbs up/thumbs down system.

I know this is something automatic that gives me -1 and apparently I was not alone in this case, but after like 1 year, this mistery is still unsolved and I don't understand why this happens and why this haven't been solved yet.
even if it doesn't break the website and I can still use it, this is the kind of problem that should be solved.

anyway, can someone explain to me what's the actual problem ?
I hope that this topic was not created multiple times already. I know there was one some months ago, but haven't found it again.

downvote bots have been a problem for a while, but I wouldn't sweat it too much, people here know better than to bandwagon on posts/judge them based on the votes they have usually

YNG, The Sabbo-Tabby wrote:

Karma systems are one of the worst features a site can have anyway.

well, I tend to prefer systems where you can only upvote, so that kind of problems does not happen.

lecorbak wrote:

well, I tend to prefer systems where you can only upvote, so that kind of problems does not happen.

Really I actually hate those things it makes it so people think that unless someone responds directly they are in the right beacuse all they see is how much everyone agrees with them and not how much people might disagree with them.

Anti-Guy wrote:

Really I actually hate those things it makes it so people think that unless someone responds directly they are in the right beacuse all they see is how much everyone agrees with them and not how much people might disagree with them.

Agreed, it's part of why Youtube's comments went even further to shit and now they're full of fucking nazis/KKK/white nationalists/bigots of other sorts

A few months ago, I posted on the forum a problem I had that is actually still unsolved, and that problem is like that since like 1 year at least.

Unsolved is a really strong word for something that is debatably a non-issue. The site as a whole has been aware of these bots for years at this point, and any explicit (this means we can prove it) "downvote bombing" is met with suspensions or bans. That said, the biggest noticeable consequence of the behaviour is that people make threads about it, and not a whole lot of anything else. I'm sure the RWBY roleplay community and people who argue in comment sections would feel immensely better if there were a fool-proof way to deal with it. That being said, such solution does not exist and – more importantly – what quantifiable reason does the site administration have to care? (Hint: none.) The most effective solution to date would be the 5/8-second vote timer, and we get just as many complaints about that too.

I hope that this topic was not created multiple times already. I know there was one some months ago, but haven’t found it again.

This issue has actually been discussed many times. Take this thread for example, which you made. You even said as such in your first paragraph. So yes, I'm sure we all hoped this topic was not created multiple times, but it happened anyways. it must have been a lot of effort to read that gigantic, all-encompassing megapost you were linked to by our moderation team the last time, so I've done you a solid by posting it here in addition to the other six, all in nested format for your reading pleasure. If you feel the nagging urge to make another post, try clicking the images. It's fun, I promise!

To everyone else, as much as it pleases me to see people with in with their own completely unfounded counsel intellectually-sound opinions, you're probably looking for the Karma Discussion thread. The thread is stickied and will always appear near the top of its forum section, which only raises further questions as to why this thread needed to be made. It also makes it easier to ignore everyone's thoughts with a single blanket statement, which saves a bit of time. If you feel offended by any of this, you're free to downvote the posts in here until it becomes a self-demonstrating crisis.

I'd normally say to shoot me a PM if you have any questions, but it is literally fucking impossible that you have a question that has not already been answered, short of you picking up Ruby and fixing it yourself. The bitter tone of this post is brought to you by our sponsors.

Last edited Sep 23, 2017 at 10:16PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!