27,697 total conversations in 1,731 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
Wojak Spam again

Last posted Aug 28, 2020 at 12:20PM EDT. Added Aug 13, 2020 at 10:59PM EDT
40 posts from 17 users

https://knowyourmeme.com/users/originalusernamemaybe
https://knowyourmeme.com/users/peanusweanus
Constant wojak spam from these two, as I'm not sure it's exactly braking the rules I'm putting it here
Could we have a limit on uploads to that gallery?

originalusernamemaybe wrote:

I usually try to dump a bunch off at once and then wait a few days in between. It's easier for me to archive them that way. Like I said, I know they aren't that well liked, so I wait a few days in between the dumps.

Some quality assessment and filtering would go a long way here. There are hundreds of examples of most popular memes today, and thousands of NSFW images of many popular subcultures, but you do not see actual hundreds of either uploaded daily here. Just because you can, it does not mean you should. Sticking to what you consider the best or most relevant few ones will still serve the documentation purpose and nobody will miss the ones filtered out. Most of those were made just to be 4chan templates or reaction images, anyway.

This was pretty much the main reason why the KYM Collector Bot project failed. Tht thing was uploading literal hundreds of images from reddit per day at the beginning and drowned every other user upload, so it ended up being severely toned down, and none of its uploads get many views even after the fact.

A documented but unviewed meme sample is as useful as food that no one ever eats.

Can someone explain why this image is up (https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/882/221/05c.jpg) when I posted pretty much the exact same image towards a different user and got it removed? I just want some consistency here.

Last edited Aug 16, 2020 at 08:26PM EDT

Lord DIO wrote:

Can someone explain why this image is up (https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/882/221/05c.jpg) when I posted pretty much the exact same image towards a different user and got it removed? I just want some consistency here.

That's an odd one. Is it possible the other user filed a complaint? I've never complained about the image with my avatar since I thought it was funny.

Cannot agree enough with Kenetic here. The Wojaks are out of control.

I don't mind that they're being uploaded, but either an upload limit on that gallery or removing them from the "recent images" would help immensely. I don't really see any other gallery flooding "recent images" nearly as often as I do the Wojaks, and frankly the Wojaks are usually terrible quality and low effort so they're disproportionately annoying.

This is like southern_yeehaw all over again but with grasshopper and peanusweanus flooding the same reusable low-quality wojaks like this one, this one, and this one.

Seriously, this has to stop.

Edit: Okay, now they're acting like jackasses, spamming & deleting replies of multiple crap wojaks to me after I told them to stop. I had to delete all my messages in my inbox.

Last edited Aug 20, 2020 at 09:40PM EDT
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

i haven't uploaded a single racist thing nor have i spammed anyone's inbox. what kind of accusations are those?
a mod would confirm

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Bulk uploads aren't against the rules as long as the titling and tagging is on point (and it looks like they are). There have been a few duplicates but that's unavoidable once a gallery gets to 500+ images and I don't think anyone's uploading them on purpose.

They're posting racist content too (which has since been reported and removed)… Not sure how much wrong they have to do before action is taken, but it's getting silly.

I took a look at the images that peanusweanus was warned for and it looks like it's all catboykami, who is undeniably a viral persona and has received substantial mainstream media coverage. Frankly I think the mod that removed those images and warned him fucked up. We allow certain types of racist and offensive content because KYM is the internet's only general-purpose meme archival site and, let's be honest, a substantial portion of meme culture is offensive and racist. Unfortunately there's been a lot of inconsistent moderation on this topic which has been compounded by the fact that the mod team is ideologically homogeneous and is seriously lacking in understanding of the edgier parts of meme culture. But that's a different discussion.

Last edited Aug 21, 2020 at 03:30AM EDT

Ok, so I warned you previously with Southern Yeehaw, but now, I'm gonna do it for real.

As long as the soyjak gallery is not locked and those 2 accounts :
https://knowyourmeme.com/users/grasshopper
https://knowyourmeme.com/users/peanusweanus
who are multi-accounts of Southern Yeehaw previously banned, are not banned :

I'm leaving the website.
and I will not come back until those things are done.

those people are detrimental for the website.

I'm sick of mods doing nothing.

Now I invite people to do the same as me and leave the website until this thing is solved.

Mods, you want soyjak that much ? you want a website filled with spammers ? okay. then I leave.

Particle Mare wrote:

Bulk uploads aren't against the rules as long as the titling and tagging is on point (and it looks like they are). There have been a few duplicates but that's unavoidable once a gallery gets to 500+ images and I don't think anyone's uploading them on purpose.

They're posting racist content too (which has since been reported and removed)… Not sure how much wrong they have to do before action is taken, but it's getting silly.

I took a look at the images that peanusweanus was warned for and it looks like it's all catboykami, who is undeniably a viral persona and has received substantial mainstream media coverage. Frankly I think the mod that removed those images and warned him fucked up. We allow certain types of racist and offensive content because KYM is the internet's only general-purpose meme archival site and, let's be honest, a substantial portion of meme culture is offensive and racist. Unfortunately there's been a lot of inconsistent moderation on this topic which has been compounded by the fact that the mod team is ideologically homogeneous and is seriously lacking in understanding of the edgier parts of meme culture. But that's a different discussion.

If it had been in the catboykami gallery, I would agree. You know what you're getting into when you go to that gallery, just like you know what you're getting into when you go into the gallery you linked. It was just in the regular Soyjak gallery. It wasn't an edgy catboykami meme it was literally just a racist caricature.

Kenetic Kups wrote:

Furry fetish art is far more worth preserving than wokjaks

Calling Misstress Fortune to keep the inflation fetish art filling up the galleries like she used to.

Particle Mare wrote:

https://knowyourmeme.com/comments/5536769
peanusweenus admits to grasshopper being an alt right here

Nedhitis wrote:

Some quality assessment and filtering would go a long way here. There are hundreds of examples of most popular memes today, and thousands of NSFW images of many popular subcultures, but you do not see actual hundreds of either uploaded daily here. Just because you can, it does not mean you should. Sticking to what you consider the best or most relevant few ones will still serve the documentation purpose and nobody will miss the ones filtered out. Most of those were made just to be 4chan templates or reaction images, anyway.

This was pretty much the main reason why the KYM Collector Bot project failed. Tht thing was uploading literal hundreds of images from reddit per day at the beginning and drowned every other user upload, so it ended up being severely toned down, and none of its uploads get many views even after the fact.

A documented but unviewed meme sample is as useful as food that no one ever eats.

Pretty much what I have to say regarding all of this. I did my best to completely avoid the site during the rein of the Collector Bot as there was even less quality control than there is normally.

I'm not hesitant in the slightest to leave again if the spam continues on and off again.

Our stance is completely unchanged since the Southern Yeehaw saga.

Uploading actual memes directly from the board that created and popularized them is one of the realest forms of media meme documentation. If it's properly tagged and sourced and it isn't too much flooding, it's fine. Some quality assessment here, some filtering there, and we all good.

So to repeat from the previous thread: Disallowing someone to use the site to upload examples of a popular meme just because some users dislike the meme sets a bad standard.

Ned wrote:

There are hundreds of examples of most popular memes today, but you do not see actual hundreds uploaded daily here. Just because you can, it does not mean you should.

I unironically wish we had that, users just bringing in fresh new memes by the bulk daily.

Last edited Aug 21, 2020 at 02:41PM EDT

The only thing I'm curious about is if any form of tag blacklist options will be provided in the future. If your stance is going to remain the same, fine, but I have better things to do than come to this site and see what is effectively spam disguised as ""documentation.""

One question: How many spam waves would it take for the staff to backtrack and implement some form of quality control? Genuinely curious.

Let's be frank: This guy doesn't upload these for documentation purposes. He uploads these to annoy people.

So why give him credit for "documenting"?

Spiked-Wall Man wrote:

Let's be frank: This guy doesn't upload these for documentation purposes. He uploads these to annoy people.

this site encorages trolling

Spiked-Wall Man wrote:

That depends on who you are talking about, since this thread mentioned originalusernamemaybe and peanusweanus in a single post:

- originalusernamemaybe is super chill and helpful about his wojak uploads. He knows it annoys people, apologises in advance, and tries to soften the impact. I'm actually annoyed and disappointed people are giving him flack; guy is doing a good job. He uploaded wojaks before the Yeehaw saga.

- peanusweanus (and grasshopper) does what you describe: inflammatory behavior through upload tags and comments. Uploading wojaks is fine. Being a dick is not. You'll notice, if you scroll up, that peanusweanus and grasshopper have received punishment for this.

The thread was about wojaks, not about the behavior of those uploading them. We will never punish for the former, but can for the latter (and have done exactly that).

(No Yeehaw alts btw.)

Last edited Aug 21, 2020 at 05:15PM EDT

Thank you for the kind words. I'm really flattered to be complimented like this.

I remember when I joined, I was a tad worried about uploads, but so far, it's been going pretty smoothly. I'm not really too bugged by the posts on my wall, I get they must be tired of these things. Closest thing I can think to ever having trouble on this site was when I had a bad day and said "U mad" once months ago to another user (it was childish on my part, I apologize). Only other time was when I uploaded a Soyjak that had nipple bulges on it (that was my bad too, I didn't realize nipple bulges went against the NSFW rules. And to add onto that, I attempted to re-upload a censored version only to find it was still against the rules. Sorry for that one too). Other than that, it's really gone nice on here.

Like I said, I'm happy to cut down a little on near-repeats, though at this point, it seems peanus and grasshoper have gone and uploaded a lot of the ones I had already saved at this point. Luckily though, I still have other memes related to /v/ and such I can probably archive in the near future. I'm hoping to archive memes related to current /v/ to help reflect the state of the board. Though, it can be admittedly a little sketchy archiving some of these memes, since some topics like transphobia seem to run rampant on /v/ nowadays.

To finish off, I really hope these big drop offs aren't too big an issue in the future. I don't upload very often, but doing around 10-20 every other few weeks or so seems a little more manageable, especially since it looks like the others managed to archive a lot of the same content I had planned in regards to soyjaks (kinda wished they tagged them more thorough though, some of them like the Yu Narukami one are just listed as "anime soy"). I think it's better the new images gallery has a splash of soyjaks and bad 4chan memes every few weeks rather than seeing them trickle out every day or something.

Apologies for getting a little long winded here.

originalusernamemaybe wrote:

Thank you for the kind words. I'm really flattered to be complimented like this.

I remember when I joined, I was a tad worried about uploads, but so far, it's been going pretty smoothly. I'm not really too bugged by the posts on my wall, I get they must be tired of these things. Closest thing I can think to ever having trouble on this site was when I had a bad day and said "U mad" once months ago to another user (it was childish on my part, I apologize). Only other time was when I uploaded a Soyjak that had nipple bulges on it (that was my bad too, I didn't realize nipple bulges went against the NSFW rules. And to add onto that, I attempted to re-upload a censored version only to find it was still against the rules. Sorry for that one too). Other than that, it's really gone nice on here.

Like I said, I'm happy to cut down a little on near-repeats, though at this point, it seems peanus and grasshoper have gone and uploaded a lot of the ones I had already saved at this point. Luckily though, I still have other memes related to /v/ and such I can probably archive in the near future. I'm hoping to archive memes related to current /v/ to help reflect the state of the board. Though, it can be admittedly a little sketchy archiving some of these memes, since some topics like transphobia seem to run rampant on /v/ nowadays.

To finish off, I really hope these big drop offs aren't too big an issue in the future. I don't upload very often, but doing around 10-20 every other few weeks or so seems a little more manageable, especially since it looks like the others managed to archive a lot of the same content I had planned in regards to soyjaks (kinda wished they tagged them more thorough though, some of them like the Yu Narukami one are just listed as "anime soy"). I think it's better the new images gallery has a splash of soyjaks and bad 4chan memes every few weeks rather than seeing them trickle out every day or something.

Apologies for getting a little long winded here.

As far as mods are concerned, you can drop like 10-20 a day and we wouldn't bat an eye. But ultimately that is something I'll leave to your judgement as you prefer to maintain peace. So do it at a pace you feel comfortable with. In the end the cringy wallposts are a bigger offense than your uploads. Personal attacks shouldn't fly.

If you got batches of other memes from 4chan, I'd welcome them with open arms.

Last edited Aug 22, 2020 at 09:31AM EDT

albinorhino did nothing but post wojaks and replies with "you mad"-troll messages.
So could you please delete him, it's a new account with his whole intention clear?

Also, on this note, this site could use a time limit that new users can't upload stuff. Would certainly help against bot accounts, kinda.

Last edited Aug 28, 2020 at 07:44AM EDT

Spiked-Wall Man wrote:

albinorhino did nothing but post wojaks and replies with "you mad"-troll messages.
So could you please delete him, it's a new account with his whole intention clear?

Also, on this note, this site could use a time limit that new users can't upload stuff. Would certainly help against bot accounts, kinda.

"Post nothing but wojaks"
Well that wasn't really my original plan but it seems you get ostracized for uplaoding more than one image. Face it, you just don't like the ugly mspaint man making fun of you.

I'll still be documenting images I find funny but until then a big chunk of the internet is going to have to stay on my hard drive.

Last edited Aug 28, 2020 at 10:49AM EDT

What does this exactly prove? Data created 2003? Multiple JPEGs with the same name? I'm confused.

Also, I hate 4chan rhetoric in general, not only MS-paint stuff.

Last edited Aug 28, 2020 at 11:12AM EDT

Spiked-Wall Man wrote:

What does this exactly prove? Data created 2003? Multiple JPEGs with the same name? I'm confused.

Also, I hate 4chan rhetoric in general, not only MS-paint stuff.

I have a 130k images on my computer, a lot of which show no results when you reverse image search them. I'd love to upload them TO AN IMAGE DOCUMENTATION SITE but it contains "4chan rhetoric" so I won't upload them.

We wouldn't want to upset you, now would we? ;^)

albinorhino wrote:

I have a 130k images on my computer, a lot of which show no results when you reverse image search them. I'd love to upload them TO AN IMAGE DOCUMENTATION SITE but it contains "4chan rhetoric" so I won't upload them.

We wouldn't want to upset you, now would we? ;^)

So, meaning creating another Alt-Account? Splendid.

Spiked-Wall Man wrote:

So, meaning creating another Alt-Account? Splendid.

what does your delusion that everyone who posts wojaks is the same person have to do with what I just said?

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!