Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,076 total conversations in 680 threads

+ New Thread

Anyone else feels like Antifa in Europe is just better and more useful than in America?

Last posted May 18, 2017 at 08:46PM EDT. Added May 11, 2017 at 05:41PM EDT
7 posts from 6 users

Or, at least that's the feeling I get. When I see something about Antifa in my country here in Europe, they either clash with actual skinheads (you know these big bulky dudes who beat you up because you're not white) or they're protesting actual nazis (even when these protests kinda get out of control after a while) or they just prank nazis doing marches by singning them up to spend money via walking to some organization for the minorites they hate.
But in America?
They are either sheltered people with no mucles who get butthurt about being insulted on tumblr yet have a big mouth about bashing the fash and circlejerking about how perfect antifa is, or they are some agressive cowards who go for innocent people and then cry they get arrested.
What do you guys think? Is this at least a little bit true or is it just the inner snobby european in me?

I've noticed this too and I would attribute it to the fact that Europeans have actual direct experience with fascism, both living under and fighting it. They've seen first hand what conditions breed support for it and what kind of people follow it, what tactics do and don't work for fighting it. Hell, fighting it is almost a tradition for activists there. Americans on the other hand don't really have any history of radical politics going mainstream and so have a more difficult time determining what does or doesn't constitute fascism.
Pretty much the only thing Americans are taught about fascism is that its racist/ethno-nationalist and responsible for WWII and the holocaust. In reality, despite how vague the fascism's theory is, there's a lot more nuance to it than that, and, like I said, Europeans have the necessary experience Americans lack to properly identify and oppose it.

Jersey Jimmy wrote:

The explanation's simple, really. In nearly all cases, Europeans are smarter than Americans.

This mad lad forgot which sub-forum he was in for a second there

Yeah, that sounds about right. That, and as YNG said, Americans don't have direct experience with fascism, so it makes sense that any group that claims to oppose it would have no idea who their enemies should be.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!