Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,076 total conversations in 680 threads

+ New Thread

What is an asset flip?

Last posted Jun 26, 2018 at 03:52AM EDT. Added Jun 07, 2018 at 06:00AM EDT
5 posts from 5 users

Since steam is all controversional about games they will allow, I got a question. What is an asset flip? I got this question because many people think that any game using models made by other people is bad.

Buying a bunch of assets on a store and using this in game. It is usually seen as bad when it makes up the entire game since it means none of the art is original and the art styles can often clash since they are all made by the same artist.

Extreme cases include when people buy an entire pre-built game from the Unreal/Unity Assets store, and literally just upload it to Steam with very minimal changes.
Examples include:
-Unit Z
-Craftlands
-Poxel Z
-Pixel Rising
-Pixel Z
-Day Survival Begins
-Uncrowded
-HCZ: Hard Chore Z
-Pixel Survival Craft Game

The point of the original game was to use its assets and mechanics as a basis to modify and create your own game with them, not just to make a quick buck on it. Unfortunately, because Steam literally has no curation, that is no longer the case.

Last edited Jun 07, 2018 at 03:11PM EDT

Game Engines like Unity3D and Unreal Engine come with an asset-store like system where users can sell pre-made 3D models, FX, code, levels, even entire game templates.

I am very intimately connected to the deeper understanding of it as a:

Someone who has 3D assets for sale on websites like TurboSquid.

Someone who has bought C# code, and actual game templates, and re skinned them.

Profited from every element of the chain, and at the same time, was able to use the gained skills to acquire a kick ass job.

From the perspective of development, it is an entirely different issue than it is from the perspective of the gamer. And I understand the hurdles of either side.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!