Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,076 total conversations in 680 threads

+ New Thread

The Motives Behind Behind the Meme Meme (And what I think of his Stunt)

Last posted Sep 29, 2018 at 12:16AM EDT. Added Sep 29, 2018 at 12:02AM EDT
3 posts from 2 users

Firstly, before I start this "analysis" I'd like to clarify something: I am not a psychologist. I'm a shitposting lobster on the "internet" (I'm typing this currently in a word document because the entirety of Australia's NBN just went down, it's WordPad, and it doesn't have spellcheck. So disregard any spelling mistakes). I have not personally assessed BTM, and I have no idea what I'm talking about. So yeah, keep that in mind. I thought this through while taking my dog for a walk, and I saw some cute little birds. But yeah.

Let's get into the BTM situation.

I'll bring this up first. BTM's "stunt" was not the correct thing to do. People have said a range of things, from it being tone deaf, to straight up malicious. I will give my opinion myself later down the line. Secondly, I do not condone the harassment of BTM at all. His content was shit, I will admit that. But the hate the guy got was ridiculous, and the tribal mentality of "NO ONE MAY TOUCH OUR SACRED MAYMAYS" is a prime example with the problem of the meme community.
Now that we have the semantics out of the way, I'll put forward my thesis on the Behind the Meme drama. It starts with two determining factors. These factors are very important to discovering the intentions of Behind the Meme. They are as follows:
⦁ Behind the Meme was genuinely depressed
⦁ Behind the Meme was not genuinely depressed
These options lead to different conclusions. And as you'll see, the "better" options come from BTM being genuinely depressed. This is a distinction that I will use to list out my possible hypothesis on BTM's intentions. And we will get right into it.
There is one more piece of information, when the first few videos were uploaded, police were contacted about it. Whether or not they managed to get to BTM, makes a slight difference on a lot of things.
BEHIND THE MEME WAS GENUINELY DEPRESSED: This is the option that leads to more happy endings. They come in no particular order, although I will give my opinions on each hypothesis as I go.
1. Behind the Meme was simply misguided: This is the option that I like the most, and the option I think was the most believable. Although it does paint BTM as kinda a fool, it does mean that he had no ill will and was just a bit of a donk. He was upset and decided to try and "help" people, or raise awareness. This option, again, makes the most sense to me.
2. Behind the Meme got help, and used the opportunity to raise awareness: Not as likely as the first option, but I'll mention it anyway. When the first videos were put up, people contacted the authorities. The first videos were genuine, but the police got in contact and got him help. He decided to use this chance to finish the saga and raise awareness about the topic. Again, he may have been misguided. It bleeds into the other option. Since we know that the final episode is in fact, fake, we know that the last episode was 100% voluntarily made.
3. Behind the Meme got help, and the police demanded he finish the saga: A tinfoil hat option. It follows the same structure as option 2, except when authorities got in contact with him, and then demanded he finish the saga as something of a "punishment". This is an extremely unlikely option, but possible if you believe in the Illuminati.
4. Behind the Meme was urged to cover the topic: A friend or family, seeing BTM's depression has suggested that he cover the topic of suicide in order to make himself feel better or something. I doubt this option is what happened, but I'm just being open.
5. Behind the Meme actually killed himself: The ultimate tinfoil hat option, for those who think the Jews did 7/11 and that Obama is a Muslim lizard from Pluto. In this option, Behind the Meme is genuinely dead. And someone has just gone and uploaded the video for some reason. There is a rather accepted theory that the videos were on a scheduled upload, but this doesn't explain how the editing came after he was, well, dead. Globalist aliens have obviously got in contact with BTM's recording software and uploaded it for the sake of the memes. IDK.

BEHIND THE MEME WAS NOT DEPRESSED: This leads into the worse options, but some good options can come from this:
1. Behind the Meme was milking this for the money: This seems to be the most widely accepted option. And I don't see why. I haven't kept up to much date with BTM, but he doesn't seem like the kind of person to do this. The videos were apparently monotised (I use AdNausium and AdBlock Ultimate so I wouldn't know), and this is probably the biggest piece of evidence that I can think of. Again, I am not qualified to speak on this particular option, so leave your evidence in the comments.
2. Behind the Meme was not depressed, but decided to raise awareness anyway: A "happy" ending option. Where despite the fact that BTM may not have been phased by his comments, he decided to raise awareness for suicide anyway. This option, does paint him as more of a good person than the above option. But also paints him as probably not being qualified to speak on the issue (considering how bad his response was).
3. Behind the Meme wanted to spite us: This is different from the milking for money option, as it is not motivated by greed but revenge. I can't speak much on this either, but I'm trying to stay as open as possible on the issue. But BTM wanted us to feel bad. We all fell for it, and should be ashamed, maybe.
4. Behind the Meme is the ultimate troll: A "tinfoil hat" option, where BTM's entire point of the channel was to get hate and cause the normies to be hated. If so, we've been absolutely bamboozled. I'm not even going to humour this option.
5. Behind the Meme is an ARG: Not sure what to say on this, like the troll option, but with different motives. People have said he's quite a convincing actor (and I would somewhat agree), so perhaps he's pitching a movie or already making one. I'm not sure. Again, this option is probably a load of shit.
6. Behind the Meme does not exist: Behind the Meme is EmpLemon who is Obama who is a Muslim Lizard from Pluto who wants to spread Globalism and Communism and Satanism and stuff. Can you tell I'm out of things to write?

In conclusion, I don't hate Behind the Meme. I think his content is shit, but I don't hate him as a person. Unless he did this for money, in which case, he's kinda scummy. Hopefully I've given you all some thoughts on the issue, and maybe you can see where I'm coming from. Or maybe I'm a fucking idiot who needs to delete my account. Be sure to leave your ideas and suggestions in the comments and yadda yadda. I look forward to seeing what we all think of this.

"Go ahead Anthony, go and make a response making fun of an old lady."

- Behind The Meme, "My Response To Thatistheplan – The Roast Of Anthony Fantano", where he got his mother to "roast" Anthony Fantano for criticizing him and used her as leverage, circa 2016

It isn't entirely out of character for him to be manipulative.

The video, by the way, he says the quote after his mother is finished with her "roasting":

Last edited Sep 29, 2018 at 12:10AM EDT

Brethren Toons wrote:

"Go ahead Anthony, go and make a response making fun of an old lady."

- Behind The Meme, "My Response To Thatistheplan – The Roast Of Anthony Fantano", where he got his mother to "roast" Anthony Fantano for criticizing him and used her as leverage, circa 2016

It isn't entirely out of character for him to be manipulative.

The video, by the way, he says the quote after his mother is finished with her "roasting":

I had completely forgotten about that part of the video. I will say that I don't see how that is intentional manipulation, it just seems more like a simple mistake. Maybe.

But that has been noted. And my opinion does waver after remembering that.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!