Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,076 total conversations in 680 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
I'm honestly thinking of leaving KnowYourMeme

Last posted Nov 29, 2019 at 06:47AM EST. Added Nov 15, 2019 at 11:23PM EST
26 posts from 19 users

Many of you probably don't care, but I've been on this site for six years just having fun. Met some cool people, all that stuff.
But lately, I've been less active on here. I rarely comment on forums or images anymore, and I'll be real about this: the Sword and Shield debacle on this website hasn't been very good for me mentally. I get criticisms and all, but if all I see is negativity and a massive circlejerk of hate, that shit just really soured my mood everytime.
I went on hiatus from KYM for a few days, hoping that I'd see some positivity towards Sword and Shield, and what do I find? the same goddamn thing, nothing but negativity and backlash.
I get we need to have opinions and all, but if all the opinions I keep seeing are the same that's just wrong, and I don't want to be a part of a community that has these hive mentalities--not just with Sword and Shield, I see it in anything relating to shit that trends on Twitter.

I've had my fun here for six years, but with my inactivity and the mental effect on me, it's for the best that I leave.

I've given this plenty of thought, and I'm still thinking on it, but if I do end up leaving I just wanna thank you guys at least for the past six years. The Sword/Shield stuff may have gotten rough, but anything before that was still quite fun.

this is fruity gajin shitposter level of caring
dude if a memesite is affecting your mental wellbeing this much just go do something else
this doesnt need a 3 paragraoh long thread, are we that important to you?

I'm not sure what sort of intangible draw the KYM community had in your first 55 thousand hours that it lacks now, but go on. Just know that ending what is apparently a significant chapter in your life over Pokemon Sword and Shield discourse is probably the worst thing we'll see all month.

There are two best ways to go about this kind of thing. One is that you just go silent after updating your wall to say something like, "Aight. I'm headed out. Bye."

Or, you can post something to the forums to the effect of why your cock is far too big for this little site and how it no longer deserves to be graced with your almighty presence before immediately deleting your account.

Either way would be more graceful than this. I'm getting the impression you're looking for someone to persuade you to not leave.

Last edited Nov 16, 2019 at 02:51PM EST

Look I’m sorry, I made this post late last night and I just had to let my thoughts out. I won’t delete my account but I also won’t be around as often as I used to be. It isn’t just about the SwSh discourse, I’ve seen shit from stuff like Jojo or the Vic Mignona stuff, many of you guys are all so one-sided that you downvote any opposing opinion.
You guys call me stupid for even making a forum like this, and you have a right to. I really shouldn’t be taking things too personally, but I honestly felt a lot better when I took that hiatus. I really need some time off of KYM.

If you feel you need time away from the internet, then you really do need time away from the internet. This place starts to mess with you after a while.

Autumn is a good season for outdoor activity, IMO.

Oh that sucks, but where the hell else are you gonna go? This is the only small website I even visit and the only community I still care about.

Twitter, Facebook all other big media sites have too many fucking people and most of them are assholes.

People will call you out on your horse shit if you say something stupid here but its not in a toxic awful way.

On here lefties aren't psycho mental cases that try to ruin your life for saying one wrong thing
Righties aren't minority hating Nazis
Yet we still have lots of both left and right and its not an echo chamber (Unless you make fun of big tittie anime girls) and it feels like you can actually post your real opinion, sure you will get shit but ive never felt like I was being run out or silence even if I posted an awful take that got disliked bombed.

Making a quality comment or forum post actually matters here. Arguments aren't based on a persons follower count you have to actually say something of substance that people agree with or you get shit on. Replies and comments are based on order not engagement so you can't get away with saying some stupid shit like "Yikes that ain't it boomer" and shoot up to the top because you have 100,000 more followers than the other person.

Even admins get shit for posting garbage but at least they don't fucking censer you or ban you for an opinion.

Yes im saying a fucking meme website is one of the last bastions for honest discussion and a real sense of community. This really is the darkest timeline but its one we have to deal with.

I did some thinking, and i still need time off but tbh I feel I only made this forum post to vent how I’ve been feeling. Yeah, there are assholes all over the Internet, I can’t do anything about that. I honestly felt hurt being called a shill for still buying the new Pokemon games, but many of them were just sharing their honest opinions. And now I’ve made a fool of myself with this thread. I’m sorry about all of this.

Look, I feel you, I've been in that situation before, where all the hostility and negativity hampers my mental state and the advice I can give if it truly affects you that way, is to just take a break from it, freshen your mind and most importantly: learn to not give a shit about assholes on the Internet, it will help you out a lot in the long run, accepting it and living with it.

Also, you don't need to abandon it completely, you can always just come back and simply lighten down activity a bit if you wish.

"you downvote any opposing opinion"

Well, and what else should people do to convey disagreement with opposing opinions online..? Downvotes are pretty much the most civilized, simple and non-destructive way to communicate that idea for peer-to-peer conversations, which can optionally be followed by a comment reply if the person cares and has time for it. This works the same way on almost every site with downvotes/dislikes, and it has nothing to do with being one-sided. By that logic, everyone agreeing that the new Sonic movie design is better are all just one-sided after "attacking" people for the old design.

Seriously, why do so many people on this site act as if downvotes were some form of actual harassment and/or personal attack..? They are the exact opposite of that, in fact. Of all things any person could ever get for having an opinion anywhere ever, downvotes are literally the least harmful or impactful of all. You could get annoying DMs, get publicly shamed by name, doxxed, slandered, sent death threats, have your name and face be permanently associated with said opinion, be exiled from society (physically or figuratively), be negated basic human rights – honestly, we could write an essay with all the things known for people to have done throughout history about dissenting opinions, and all of them are 10 to 100 times worse than downvotes each at least.

I genuinely worry how people sensitive towards downvotes handle real-life interactions, which are actually meaningful in contrast, if this truly is all it takes for them to crumble to social pressure this hard, and this is coming from someone with the social life of a baked potato.

There's a lot of stuff to dislike about Pokemon Sword and Shield (coughdynamaxcough), but I will respect your opinion on buying the game. Some people can go too overboard and all they see is negativity, try your best to not let that affect you. I will acknowledge that the are a few stuff that I liked about Sword and Shield, such as the animation of Pyro Ball.

I wound recommend you to join Know Your Meme discord server™, the discussion of Pokemon seems less hostile here. Or you could watch Joel's stream on Pokemon Shield.

Q-mii Productions wrote:

Well, what do you know? Pokemon Sword and Shield outsold X and Y by 2 million in its first week. Looks like the positivity paid off.

You know that you're not helping. Mostly cause you are one of the reasons people are getting riled up on the Sword and Shield page, with all your posts mocking/insulting the people who're criticizing the game. Everything was calming down till you kicked the hornets nest… yet again.

No Original Names wrote:

this is fruity gajin shitposter level of caring
dude if a memesite is affecting your mental wellbeing this much just go do something else
this doesnt need a 3 paragraoh long thread, are we that important to you?

holy shit. im a legit meme now.

Q-mii Productions wrote:

Well, what do you know? Pokemon Sword and Shield outsold X and Y by 2 million in its first week. Looks like the positivity paid off.

Silence unpaid shill part VI I can do it some moar

Bimmy, don’t let people disliking your crappy vidja game be the reason you leave. Don’t be that pathetic. People don’t like something you like? Who the hell cares kiddo, just play your dang game and do your usual on here. Quit trying to guilt people here because you disagree over a daggum game.

This thread is dumb, even by the impossibly low standards we're already holding this group of users to. We accept Kintsua's deactivation as the blood price for not locking it sooner. Please use the dedicated thread for further in-fighting.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!