Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,076 total conversations in 680 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
Why I’m actively fighting the toxic side of the Pokémon fandom again

Last posted Jan 16, 2020 at 10:31AM EST. Added Jan 15, 2020 at 04:12PM EST
24 posts from 15 users

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

You may be wondering, “what happened to being polite or not fighting fire with fire”? I was being polite months ago because I hadn’t played Pokémon Sword or Shield yet. I thought, “if I haven’t played the game, then my opinions defending it aren’t valid. Plus, people are still digesting it at the moment, as it’s so new.” So when I got my copy of Pokémon Sword, I felt liberated – not only could my opinions be backed up by personal experience, but I could find out why people made the complaints I’ve read.

And let me tell you: I loved the game, but not to the point I would blindly defend it. In fact, I had problems, too. The latest Pokémon games are far from perfect.

As I played, even I felt that the game wasn’t “complete,” despite the amount of time I placed in it. I did feel sad that I couldn’t bring all my pokémon to Galar – even though I had never transferred across systems before. I also thought the trees were cruddy, and the Y-Comm wasn’t the best means of internet communication in the series. I missed the GTS. Overall, I did have fun, but I felt like there could have been more that Gamefreak would’ve put in if they had more development time.

When Gamefreak revealed that they were willing to put in the extra work of coding in 200+ pokémon that weren’t originally in SwSh, I felt massive relief. That, combined with the fact that you wouldn’t need to buy the DLC to gain access to those pokémon, appeared to stoke the flames that were lit with the announcement of the Dex cut. To me, it seemed like there was little reason to hate Gamefreak now. Yeah, the entire Dex wasn’t back, but who’s to say that they won’t continue to code in the rest of the pokémon for next year? I thought people would finally let go of their anger…until I heard complaints that “why not just make a third version? This stuff should’ve been in the base game to begin with!” from people who still couldn’t let their grudges go.

I’m fighting these kinds of people again because:
1. I’m still seeing people spread misinformation about Gamefreak and the games’ development.
2. While a lot of players have already moved on from the loss of the National Dex, the DLC revealed the possibility that it can return in parts.
3. The hundreds of hours worth of post-game content (i.e. the Battle Tower, the Curry Dex, the Galar Dex, Raids, etc.) still make the games worthwhile, even though they FEEL incomplete.
4. Constructive criticism is a dying art in this fandom. Everything’s centered around feelings and opinions instead of actual fact. And in today’s case, DLC is a more efficient way for new content to be introduced to published games.

Last edited Jan 15, 2020 at 04:14PM EST

I don't know where the hell did you find people demanding a third game. The DLC is an overall win as we don't have to pay another 60$ for another game that will feature the same stuff, but with slightly bigger end quest. Hopefully they won't make them the size of a Bethesda Creation Club "Quest".

Also Raids and 31 curry recipes are definitely not hundreds of hours of post-game gameplay. And no, Battle Tower and Galar dex doesn't count since these are activities lifted from past games (and they are not at their peak game either). Post game quest has you tour all the places you've already visited in search of Bogdanoff twins so it's not too long either.

Hey, Kin. A word of advice: people around here generally disagree with what Game Freak has done over the past year and eventually moved on with it. The sooner you do the same, the better it'll be for everyone involved.

OH YEAH wrote:

Hey, Kin. A word of advice: people around here generally disagree with what Game Freak has done over the past year and eventually moved on with it. The sooner you do the same, the better it'll be for everyone involved.

You say people have moved on, but I can still detect gripes against Gamefreak. Do you know what the first comment was on that DLC chart? “Fuck Game Freak.” The most common complaint I see on Twitter and here when it comes to the DLC is that “the games were unfinished” or “it should’ve been in the base game.” There were even people who wanted all of the pokémon back in one go.

But if you really don’t me to talk about it, fine. From the replies, I can clearly see that it’s a sensitive topic. So I’ll wait until the Isle of Armor arrives for people to talk about it being a worthwhile purchase.

Goodbye.

Q-mii Productions wrote:

I’m not being sarcastic. I’m being sincere. How about you listen to other people’s viewpoints instead of trying to deflect them?

So you're assuming I'm deflecting other people's viewpoints? When have I done that? All I'm doing right now is pointing out that you're making a fuss that people are spreading misinformation and stuff when, on this website, none of that was going on (as far as I could see). And, yet again, everything was calm till you started doing this stuff.

Q-mii Productions wrote:

You say people have moved on, but I can still detect gripes against Gamefreak. Do you know what the first comment was on that DLC chart? “Fuck Game Freak.” The most common complaint I see on Twitter and here when it comes to the DLC is that “the games were unfinished” or “it should’ve been in the base game.” There were even people who wanted all of the pokémon back in one go.

But if you really don’t me to talk about it, fine. From the replies, I can clearly see that it’s a sensitive topic. So I’ll wait until the Isle of Armor arrives for people to talk about it being a worthwhile purchase.

Goodbye.

Also, you're talking about the chart that you made and then just a bit ago deleted? Cause the official chart image that someone posted has no comment like that. I read the comments on your ,now deleted, chart, and there's only one that says that. The rest seem to just be taking an issue with you, and looking at the notes that you put on it, no surprise since it seems that you were attacking people out of the blue.

"I was being polite months ago because I hadn’t played Pokémon Sword or Shield yet."

"I loved the game, but not to the point I would blindly defend it."

You literally admitted that you were blindly defending it all along on your first statement if you did so before playing the game, you know (which, by the way, you neglected to mention until now). At least most of us here either tried the game or saw gameplays of it before having a final opinion.

Just stop this cheap farce and admit that you just want to one-up strangers that are wrong on the internet. This is not about the game, this is not about fun, and this is not even about GameFreak anymore: all you want is to be right on the internet, and this is why just playing the game and having fun with it is not enough for you, and why you had to re-activate your account after you even made a second account and kept doing this, which you ALSO neglected to mention.

"Constructive criticism is a dying art in this fandom. Everything’s centered around feelings and opinions instead of actual fact."

Seriously..? Do you not have mirrors in your house or something..?

Q-mii Productions wrote:

A video game that caused people to spread misinformation and harass developers for the sake of virtual monsters.

literally who cares

You’re either a troll here to try and bother the guillable people here or a hopelessly obsessed Nintendie
Either way it’s a timesink to even reply, we should make like bananas and split before trying to argue any further

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!