Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,076 total conversations in 680 threads

+ New Thread

Good movie games

Last posted Feb 22, 2021 at 01:19AM EST. Added Feb 12, 2021 at 02:17PM EST
13 posts from 13 users

Nowadays video games based on movies tend to not be that good but back in the day there actually were some movie games which were actually pretty rad

Enter the matrix and Beowulf and some early Harry Potter games are some which i remember

Do you guys remember any good movie games?

The pretty obvious answer is the Spongebob Movie game, but that's kind of an expansion pack sequel of Battle for Bikini Bottom

oh, and Toy Story 2

Shrek 2 was also kind of enjoyable

Last edited Feb 12, 2021 at 02:38PM EST

X-men Origins: Wolverine, the game, was surprisingly pretty good for a movie licensed videogame. The actual movie itself was awful.

I had N64 as a kid, but surprisingly never played GoldenEye 007, which is considered an absolute classic. However, I did play Mission Impossible, which I remember I liked quite a lot.

More recent ones, but kinda of stretching it since they are not based on specific movies, Mad Max and Alien Isolation are both really good.

Transformers Autobots/Decepticons on Nintendo DS. There are no humans in the plot and it basically plays like GTA. A way better experience than the movies.

Also first Lego Games were fun, not sure about the modern releases

It probably doesn't count, but:

Literally any Warhammer 40K video game is better than the Ultramarines movie and the Inquisitor short film, even the ultimately bland 2016 Space Hulk: Deathwing game, even the admittedly decent DS port of _WH40K: Squad Command and even Glory in Death on the Nokia N-Gage._

Although to be serious and actually talk about an actual movie game, I did find Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension's games on both the Wii and DS to be somewhat fun. They're certainly not must-have titles, but they are fun for a playthrough or two.

And despite having never played the original I thought that the DS port of the 2010 Goldeneye re-imagining was decent, especially considering that it's an FPS on the DS.

But no matter how much I want to love it or even feel the bare minimum of pleasure to count as enjoying it, I hate… and I pause and repeat to emphasize it: I hate the 2003 Bionicle game. To begin with it's only partially based on the Mask of Light movie and it takes the worst parts it can from it. The gameplay is a trainwreck and the only saving grace is that because of deadlines they drastically shortened the game, meaning I don't have to play it as much. None of the other Bionicle games are based off of the other two movies, but of the ones I've played are at the very least decent experiences. Bionicle Heroes is an OK third-person shooter and it's DS port is also one of the few FPS games on the system. Quest for the Toa on the GBA was somewhat entertaining when I played it, but I was never able to make any worthwhile progress in the game due to literally every pair of batteries I put into my GBA died absurdly fast. I'll probably give the GBA games a second look now that I've installed them onto my 3DS via homebrew, I'd like to see the battery die on me now that it's rechargeable and plugged into the wall.

There's also the Area 88 arcade game that was called U.N. Squadron outside of Japan. I thought it was fun and whenever I want to play a side-scrolling shoot 'em up, I either play it or it's spiritual successor: Carrier Air Wing.

Last edited Feb 13, 2021 at 11:01PM EST

Hot Wheels Turbo Racing was a very solid racing game for the N64 and Playstation. It was fast passed, the racing felt good, and while the mechanics themselves were typical, the made up for it through its music and track design. Most of the tracks were very well designed and used the game's focus on speed to its fullest and the soundtrack was comprised entirely of thrash metal bands that were popular at the time. No joke, EA managed to get Metallica, Pantera, and even Primus or make original pieces for the game, most of which are now extremely obscure.

Allegedly Chicken Little: Ace in Action has been referred as a decent game by some folks, but I haven't gotten my hands on the game itself to test it out.

What I CAN atest to, however, though granted this is straight from my childhood memories (me being 6 years old, maybe? 7? Not sure), was Kirikou for the ps1, a platform adventure game that was based on this french animation film "Kirikou and the Sorceress". I haven't had contact with much media that represented african culture the way it did back then in my childhood, nor cutscene animation quite in it's style so the game always intrigued me, and it helped that the gameplay was decent enough for me to want to play it until the end. I'd be happy to try it again to see how it holds up (I do remember having lots of fun with it), but it's a fairly obscure piece of media and I've had trouble getting into much contact with anything related to it.

Last edited Feb 22, 2021 at 01:25AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!