Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,076 total conversations in 680 threads

+ New Thread

Is it necessary to insult or make fun of someone to make a point?

Last posted Sep 19, 2021 at 07:38PM EDT. Added Sep 19, 2021 at 04:37PM EDT
4 posts from 4 users

I know this is similar to another topic I made a couple months back, but I want to be a bit more specific this time, as I want to get a greater understanding behind the motivations of those who partake in such activity.

Take the soy boy meme for example. At this point, we have reached a conundrum where people basically use Wojak memes in general as a way of mocking others. But is this morally acceptable? Should this be acceptable? If you dislike a company or product, and someone draws fan art of it, or shows great enthusiasm or positivity towards that product? Should it be morally acceptable to insult that person? Or would you be better off worrying about yourself, and choosing what you give your money and attention to?

Hopefully this thread doesn't get too heated, but I dunno.

I'd say absolutely not. I've always been of the opinion that if you want to change other peoples minds it's best to avoid being abrasive. "You attract more flies with honey than vinegar" and such. No one likes being proven wrong or made a fool, even it they completely are. Insulting others/something will only bring about a hurling match and kill any meaningful conversation.

Besides how much it's been spammed, I also dislike wojak for being nothing more than a low tier, x=bad y=good, meme. It reeks of repressed anger or insecurity most of the times.

I don't think that's acceptable. In an ideal world, insults wouldn't fly so readily.

As far as opinions go, I think insults or memes are a quick and easy way to put forth your own without putting in effort, hence the prevalence. Unfortunately that also means a degradation in comment quality as well as the discussion.

I think part of it is just typical for a meme's lifespan. Eventually the meme gets flanderized, it's meaning conflated with other things until the meme itself can only be nebulously defined in a broad context, ect. Makes it easier to bring down others.

Last edited Sep 19, 2021 at 06:32PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!