Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Have Old Highly Popular Confirmed Memes/People/Events Gain a New Status: Classic

Last posted Nov 11, 2015 at 12:06PM EST. Added Nov 09, 2015 at 12:24PM EST
6 posts from 4 users

Not a massive change just thought it'd be a nice touch to have a special status for those millionaire-viewed entries with memes/people/events that are five or more years old. You could throw in a sparkling effect on a shiny bronze html plaque gif saying "CLASSIC" or something like that. Just throwing that out there.

Too subjective imo.

With classic I assume you mean the definition of "of lasting interest or significance", but that's exactly where the problem lies. Memes have a too short attention spam, and a million views has become a lot less rare with the rise of internet culture. Said classic title would be given to memes that are all the craze these days for 3 months at most, but which many have long forgotten about in five years, making them no longer classic as they didn't have lasting interest.

You can already rank our site entries by popularity, and many so-called "classics" can be found there. That should suffice imo.

I'd rather expand on the entry types (read: not "fad"), than add another type to the already badly used statuses.

Last edited Nov 09, 2015 at 02:31PM EST

I personally think the classification system might need a little update. Even though each status is sorted by type, right now we have:

• Confirmed: Legit memes
  • Submission: An abyss of sortta one hit memes mixed with fresh or incomplete articles.
  • Deadpool: A mixture of failed memes, made up memes, and a little more.
  • Removed: Spam

Submission is quickly becoming an abyss with over 6000 articles (much the way researching is becoming). I think submission shouldn't apply to an article for more than a year, but it's hard to move some of these to deadpool when the deadpool bar is so low. Of course deadpool also has about 5k entries, so removing some of those seems like a good way to organize them more especially since most of them don't really contribute to the site.

If we could create a better semi-grading system for entries, it would allow us to classify them easier. It's not completely clear if a one-off meme should be classified along side the likes of "All ur base are…" or advice animals, so a lot of these just stay as "submission".

e.g.:

A entry: meme that stands the test of time (Mudkipz / Disaster Girl / GamerGate / Pedobear)

B entry: meme that is short lived (Potato Salad Kickstarter / G.I. Joe PSAs / Most Events / Challenges)

C entry: submission (not clear if it's a meme, but should be clear after a few months or a year)

D entry: deadpool (anything that may have shown some catching on, but didn't spread like Eating Invisible Cereal or things that haven't contributed to the internet culture) ← Oh and meta stuff.

F entry: removed (spam / "I made this entry, lol!")

An advantage to this system is that by the time an article is frontpaged, it can be moved to the B type since it for sure has made some buzz on the internet and is no longer just a "submission".

Maybe "classic" wouldn't be the best title for an A type meme, but it would be appropriate for the type.

Last edited Nov 11, 2015 at 12:10AM EST

The Cute Master :3 wrote:

I personally think the classification system might need a little update. Even though each status is sorted by type, right now we have:

• Confirmed: Legit memes
  • Submission: An abyss of sortta one hit memes mixed with fresh or incomplete articles.
  • Deadpool: A mixture of failed memes, made up memes, and a little more.
  • Removed: Spam

Submission is quickly becoming an abyss with over 6000 articles (much the way researching is becoming). I think submission shouldn't apply to an article for more than a year, but it's hard to move some of these to deadpool when the deadpool bar is so low. Of course deadpool also has about 5k entries, so removing some of those seems like a good way to organize them more especially since most of them don't really contribute to the site.

If we could create a better semi-grading system for entries, it would allow us to classify them easier. It's not completely clear if a one-off meme should be classified along side the likes of "All ur base are…" or advice animals, so a lot of these just stay as "submission".

e.g.:

A entry: meme that stands the test of time (Mudkipz / Disaster Girl / GamerGate / Pedobear)

B entry: meme that is short lived (Potato Salad Kickstarter / G.I. Joe PSAs / Most Events / Challenges)

C entry: submission (not clear if it's a meme, but should be clear after a few months or a year)

D entry: deadpool (anything that may have shown some catching on, but didn't spread like Eating Invisible Cereal or things that haven't contributed to the internet culture) ← Oh and meta stuff.

F entry: removed (spam / "I made this entry, lol!")

An advantage to this system is that by the time an article is frontpaged, it can be moved to the B type since it for sure has made some buzz on the internet and is no longer just a "submission".

Maybe "classic" wouldn't be the best title for an A type meme, but it would be appropriate for the type.

I like that idea, however I'd make them words instead of rankings so people outside of KYM could quickly understand them. So it'd be something like "Classic, Confirmed, Rating Pending, Deadpooled, Spam," but you guys can bounce around the exact words you want.

Emperor Palpitoad wrote:

I like that idea, however I'd make them words instead of rankings so people outside of KYM could quickly understand them. So it'd be something like "Classic, Confirmed, Rating Pending, Deadpooled, Spam," but you guys can bounce around the exact words you want.

Of course the Spam section wouldn't be visible by non-moderators.

I like the idea of reclassifying the system. The current system is fine, but too many entries fall into researching or submissions and are not thought of again.

I would be all up for giving the statuses a big update tho or at least a big reorganisation because they are all just badly used these days.

The requirements for Confirmed have been reduced to "this meme is pretty popular" (we have jack shit of a clue when to confirm events), Submission is just a purgatory for everything we've forgotten about, and Deadpool has become a dumping ground for absolutely anything because a lot of entry mods don't know when to hide, with Hidden just existing.

Then there's the bonus Researching status, which entries stay absolutely forever in until they're confirmed (as confirmed entries don't have the option available anymore); which basically makes it yet another purgatory.

All statuses are random collections of subjectiveness and they have completely lost their function.

Last edited Nov 11, 2015 at 12:08PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!