Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Make It So You Can Favorite Users

Last posted Mar 31, 2016 at 04:07AM EDT. Added Mar 29, 2016 at 07:50AM EDT
7 posts from 6 users

You take the code for favoriting an entry, put it onto user profiles, and then route this code so that it appears in a new Favorite Users section above the Friends Section in your profile. This way when you press a star button on a person's profile, they get added to the favorite users section of your profile. What do you guys think?

Isn't that the basic purpose of followers? I know a lot of people don't use followers like that, but that is the inteneded purpose: to follow and friend the users you like the most. It seems pretty redundant to have the proposed favorite section. I guess it could work, but it needs a better seperation from the purpose of following.

With some modification this might actually work. You could make favorited users hidden only to you – basically, a shortcut to find users. You don't have to friend them or follow them, and you could undo it quickly. Given follows are misused, favoriting users in a system like this could work as it's supposed to.

Possible application example: Natrp.

For something like NatRP, you may end up PMing other users, a lot. You might not necessarily want to friend them, however. Favorite them temporarily (as I've defined "favoriting" a user), gives you a quick-link visible only to you, to them, on your profile.

Mom Rivers wrote:

With some modification this might actually work. You could make favorited users hidden only to you – basically, a shortcut to find users. You don't have to friend them or follow them, and you could undo it quickly. Given follows are misused, favoriting users in a system like this could work as it's supposed to.

Possible application example: Natrp.

For something like NatRP, you may end up PMing other users, a lot. You might not necessarily want to friend them, however. Favorite them temporarily (as I've defined "favoriting" a user), gives you a quick-link visible only to you, to them, on your profile.

Yeah, making it only available to the user seems like an easy way to avoid silly drama wars. Also, I think there are a few better places it could fit rather than above the friends area (maybe make it part of the normal favorites thing?).

The Dashboard could use some tweaking in general. Once you have 200-something odd friends, it can be hard to find the activity of a select few that you really enjoy following the activity of. But to not "Follow" or "Become Friends" with a person that you're not all that close to can cause undue drama.

Favoriting someone or "hiding" the posts of certain users has its merit though. I don't see it as a problem for me, because I'm usually paying attention to the forums for activity anyway. But we can discuss it with admins if a lot of other people think it'd be useful.

Last edited Mar 31, 2016 at 07:17AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!