Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Fandom Filters

Last posted Feb 24, 2017 at 10:11PM EST. Added Jan 31, 2017 at 11:49PM EST
9 posts from 6 users

Remember the "show fewer ponies" button? I feel like we can use an updated form of that button for general subcultures like Steven Universe and RWBY which generally flood these image galleries.
To clarify:

So my main request is that we can get a filter button that gets rid of at least the NSFW images, if not subcultures in general so we can get straight to the memes, particularly on "trending" images.

Steven Universe and RWBY which generally flood these image galleries.

I totallly understand where you're coming from in that certain fandoms frequently dominate around here, but they only flood their own galleries on the whole. It's undeniable that popular stuff on here is, well … popular. And it's been the case for a long time that KYM does not cover memes exclusively. Much how like gaming websites frequently also review TV, or that TV Tropes started as a fan site for Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

However there are other areas of Cheezburger up the top that are exclusively devoted to the type of content you seem to be talking about, maybe you could give those a go? ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯

I don't know whether it would be possible to filter out subcultures or NSFW from trending. Maybe ArchaicEX can whip up one of his fancy scripts. The lad's quite good at those.

Bilbo Swaggins wrote:

I guess that means a filter for subcultures would be more useful then

Yes, I would love to have a filter for specific subcultures (like, say, just Sonic shipping). It'd be a lot more reliable than tags (heaven knows uploaders can't be counted on to use those properly… isn't that why it's now mandatory to have at least one tag?).

ArchaicEX wrote that userscript for showing NSFW/Spoiler images. I wonder if something similar could be implemented for image filtering.

…can’t be counted on to use those properly…

It would be helpful if uploaders knew what "properly" actually meant. There's no real guidance on what tags need to be used or a standardization of tags (black and white/monochrome, mlp/my little pony, etc.) because "KYM's not a booru." I still don't know if we're supposed to use "artist:name" or just "name" (since some usernames might cause tag confusion).

There's a metric fuckton of posts about being able to hide specific tags/galleries, and a lot of it comes back to your idea of being similar to the "show fewer ponies" button. Unfortunately, the pony button was a pretty specific exception, and was pretty damn hard to implement properly. As it stands, KYM's gallery system is unable to do anything fancy involving tags, better sorting, or showing/hiding specific content.

I suppose they're not the same_, but most suggestions to this nature are covered in the Frequently Suggested Ideas thread.851857 Unless you're willing to block content manually, or make your own plugin/script, it's not feasible.

TL;DR It cannot and/or will not happen. Sorry.

Last edited Feb 24, 2017 at 10:12PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!