Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Most entries in the "Subculture" category should be a new category, "Media"

Last posted Apr 30, 2019 at 01:46AM EDT. Added Apr 27, 2019 at 02:30PM EDT
3 posts from 3 users

Over the years, I've noticed "Subculture" has become the standard catch-all category for any media property, be it a TV series, video game franchise (or single game), anime/manga, etc. I assume this grew out of the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic entry being popular back in the day, and while it was more of a legit subculture (though the Bronies entry is more apt for the label), I wouldn't say it's accurate for things like King of the Hill or The Boss Baby. "Fandom" may be more appropriate for some, but then there's things like The Nutshack which has no actual fandom I'm aware of and is purely a meme for being bad.

To add to the confusion, there's a more recent and sparsely used category "Culture" which only has 120 submissions compared to 1,168 "Subcultures". For the non-media subcultures, I hardly understand the distinction. What makes Yuri and Let's Play subcultures while Doujinshi and Vaping are just cultures? I've noticed that subcultures are usually connected to specific IP's while cultures are more worldly and wide-ranging, but not always. Here's my suggestion: move all actual subcultures into "Culture" and make a "Media" category for the rest of them. "Culture" and "Subculture" are too similar and this would eliminate the need to differentiate.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!