Forums / Media / Video Games

38,603 total conversations in 2,698 threads

+ New Thread

THQ Nordic Hosts AMA on 8chan, ResetEra Goes Bonkers

Last posted Mar 07, 2019 at 02:13AM EST. Added Feb 26, 2019 at 06:48PM EST
11 posts from 10 users

For those not in the know, THQ Nordic recently hosted an AMA on 8chan. People on ResetEra and blue checkers on Twitter took to it to see that the former is shamed for doing so. This was a bit of a PR blunder for THQ Nordic seeing as every chan board on the internet is seen as some taboo website for only the most degenerate of people. Perhaps it's because THQ Nordic publicly announced that they were going to do an AMA on 8chan. (Seriously though, Nordic, what were you THINKING?)

Archives for dummies who care about video games of all things.
Thread 1
Thread 2

On 8chan, everyone's laughing it up and posting tiddies because the opposing crowd hates big tiddies.

On 4chan, the whole debacle has been met with what seems to be resentment that they weren't picked over 8chan.

There are also ongoing Aftermath threads of the shitstorm this entire thing stirred up on 8chan /v/.
Aftermath 1
Aftermath 2

After ResetEra and other like minded persons on Twitter got a hold of this, they got up in a huff, wondered if this was some ruse, figured out it wasn't, then they all started confronting THQ Nordic about this. Needless to say, THQ Nordic has officially backpedaled on this with a public Twitter statement.

Notable internet blogging websites such as Kotaku have even already made articles about this.

What is your take on this? Personally, still wondering why on earth THQ Nordic told the entire world their AMA was going to take place on 8chan. Did they think it was acceptable like Reddit? This would not have blown up like it did if they hadn't announced it.

On an unrelated note, remember when Lauren Faust visited /mlp/ on 4chan?

In my opinion, THQ did a mistake by backpedaling. They SILL, after all those years had not learned.

By now they should have learned not to backpedal and not to give in to REsetera pressure. That or THQ has been living under a very big rock. Basically, they should have known that doing such a daring thing and then backpedaling causes both sides to not be happy (especially the gamers).

By the way, does 8chan have that "illegal content"? Did they mistake it for 7chan?

Last edited Feb 27, 2019 at 12:01AM EST

I'm…not too sure what they expected the reaction to be. Did they not do the smallest amount of research on 8chan? Or did they think nobody would care? According to their apology, they didn't know about 8chan's reputation, but I feel like they're lying to save face.
On the apology note, I don't think they ever should have apologized. You're only upsetting people who were ok with this, and the people who you're trying to make happy don't want a apology; they want "justice" (read: everyone responsible for this fired).

8 could've been more prepared and even cooperative to get a chance from THQ Nordic.

THQ chose this website because they think of advocating for the end of corruption/censorship all things gaming has to deal with (but that was five years ago.)

The fact that they chose one of the chans aside, it seems like a real boneheaded move for a corporation to not host an AMA on Reddit.

And before anyone goes ">using reddit", think about it. Reddit has a massive userbase, and seems to be the go-to spot for celebrities and other companies to host AMA sessions.

Like… why? Why 8chan?

GattsuSeijin wrote:

The fact that they chose one of the chans aside, it seems like a real boneheaded move for a corporation to not host an AMA on Reddit.

And before anyone goes ">using reddit", think about it. Reddit has a massive userbase, and seems to be the go-to spot for celebrities and other companies to host AMA sessions.

Like… why? Why 8chan?

One can only guess someone in the PR department thought a lot of people would use chanboards even though such boards are known to have a bad rep, warranted or unwarranted. As for Reddit, they could of used it for AMA sessions but (and as a heads up, I'm not familiar with the rules of Reddit or how downvoted comments work beyond just being hidden but visible) I heard mods of a board can delete comments.

Honestly, the only ones that may as well win in this are those simply here for salt, either from people thinking THQ Nordic must really be pandering to \pol\ or those thinking THQ will be eternal bootlickers of SJW's, and those that simply don't give a single care about any of the politics and simply want to play video games..

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!