Forums / Media / Video Games

38,577 total conversations in 2,693 threads

+ New Thread

Devotion almost got put on GOG, until CD Projekt suddenly backed down likely due to outrage from mainland China

Last posted Dec 21, 2020 at 11:09PM EST. Added Dec 17, 2020 at 06:12PM EST
11 posts from 9 users

Here's Spawn Wave's video on the subject:

As he himself points out it's very likely the whole "outcry from gamers" thing CDP is talking about is more likely "mainland China threatened to not approve Cyberpunk 2077 for sale in that country if Devotion was put on GOG." The devs behind the game have stated they're still looking into avenues to get Devotion back up for sale since it's likely never returning to Steam or ever coming to GOG due to both Valve and CD Projekt wanting to still do business in mainland China, though I admit I'm unsure who they could turn to at this point.

And again, GOG is doing some vague and statement ("messages from gamers" which itself is questionable at best without any source) , just like Blizzard did with Blitzchung.

Why hasn't GOG learned from Blizzard's mistakes? And its own past mistakes when communicating with userbase.

By "message from gamers" logic, The Last Of Us Part II should have been also been pulled from various stores.

Last edited Dec 17, 2020 at 07:38PM EST

Between this move and Hololive suddenly no longer having permission to play Cyberpunk 2077 it's getting real hard to give them the benefit of the doubt. You either bend the knee or get hundreds of bots spamming messages on all social media to disparage your company.

Thanks China for normalizing cyberterrorism.

I think I'm preaching to the choir here but seriously, fuck the Chinese government and their obsession with neutering other countries' works just so they can maintain total control in their own

Last edited Dec 17, 2020 at 11:49PM EST

Talkie Toaster wrote:

I think I'm preaching to the choir here but seriously, fuck the Chinese government and their obsession with neutering other countries' works just so they can maintain total control in their own

Agreed. Iā€™d be hoping the Chinese government gets blown up by the Russian military by accident but that would just result in nuclear winter.

This sort of thing from GOG does not amuse me. The whole "gamers don't want this game on our storefront" excuse is as Evilthing said, it's vague. And on top of that, we also have gamers that do want to play the game. Unless GOG was to have the game up on their storefront, anyone wanting to play it either has to get any Steam keys left for it or turn to piracy.

This managed to burn away some goodwill CDPR had, and they already did just a few days earlier with how buggy Cyberpunk 2077 turned out to be especially on consoles.

"As he himself points out it's very likely the whole 'outcry from gamers' thing CDP is talking about is more likely 'mainland China threatened to not approve Cyberpunk 2077 for sale in that country if Devotion was put on GOG.'"

Actually it was outcry from gamers. I found the proof right here:

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!