Forums / Media / Video Games

38,591 total conversations in 2,696 threads

+ New Thread

Sony now owns the EVO tournament

Last posted Mar 22, 2021 at 11:26PM EDT. Added Mar 18, 2021 at 06:27PM EDT
4 posts from 4 users

Source

One concern people of course have is whether or not if Sony might no longer allow games that aren't on PlayStation consoles such as Nintendo's Super Smash Bros. or Microsoft's Killer Instinct. For a game like Smash it can be argued Nintendo doesn't really need the publicity of EVO to keep Smash relevant (Nintendo's history with tournaments has been iffy, but yet it never really hurts Smash itself), but for KI I know fans of that series would be upset if it's no longer allowed at EVO since the hardcore fighting game scene is seen as the main reason why the game is still kept alive, and fans also hope exposure from EVO could help lead to a sequel on Series X.

Hopefully when Sony says they're committed to combating abuse they mean the concerning amount of groomers among the FGC and not the anime tiddy in fighting games. I don't have confidence in Sony's ability to moderate such an event.

wisehowl_the_2nd wrote:

Hopefully when Sony says they're committed to combating abuse they mean the concerning amount of groomers among the FGC and not the anime tiddy in fighting games. I don't have confidence in Sony's ability to moderate such an event.

Especially with how hypocritical they are thanks to THAT scene in TLOU2

wisehowl_the_2nd wrote:

I mean considering how a lot of recent fighting games tone down on the fanservice to be able to played at these tournaments (Dead or Alive comes to minds), I think there is a good chance Sony shift their focus on the types of players who enter the tournament then the content of the fighting games . . . though if its content of fighting games, then like MissFortune I am worried that non-Sony fighters like Smash Ultimate and Killer Instinct won't come back again do them being exclusive to rival companies consoles.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!