Forums / Media / Video Games

38,603 total conversations in 2,698 threads

+ New Thread

All six games announced during the Dragon Quest 35th Anniversary stream

Last posted Jun 03, 2021 at 01:22PM EDT. Added May 27, 2021 at 07:40AM EDT
5 posts from 4 users

First I'll post the stream archive itself:

I'll start with two smaller announcements first and then into the bigger stuff.

1. Dragon Quest X Version 6. Getting this out of the way first because the main DQX is still slated to be a Japan-only game, so this announcement will only interest importers who play the game because they can read Japanese. Basically the next big update for the game, not much else to say.

2. Dragon Quest Erasers. A free-to-play mobile puzzle game, might be a fun time waster but obviously not some big deal sort of announcement.

3. Dragon Quest X "Offline". As of right now Square hasn't confirmed what regions this game will be hitting, but the main thing with this game is it's a version of Dragon Quest X which re-imagines the MMORPG as an offline traditional RPG. If the main DQX is staying Japan-only, this is likely going to be a version of DQX made for international audiences, so I'm expecting they'll announce an international date eventually.

4. Dragon Quest Treasures. A new spin-off franchise focusing heavily on exploration and treasure hunting. This first entry in this new spin-off series will star Eric and Mia from Dragon Quest XI, which I think is a good idea since newer fans who got into the series thanks to DQXI will have some recognizable faces to draw them into this spin-off. This game is confirmed for a worldwide release.

5. Dragon Quest III "HD-2D" remake. A remake of Dragon Quest III running on the HD-2D engine used in Octopath Traveler and Project Triangle Strategy. Looks pretty awesome and will be getting a worldwide release on all major consoles. Also of note is Yuji Hori confirmed Dragon Quest 1 and 2 will be getting similar remakes as well (my guess is DQ1 and 2 will be remade into a single cart/disc).

6. Dragon Quest XII is in development. As of right now all they showed is a logo and that the subtitle is "The Flames of Fate." Confirmed details are things like how this entry will be taking the series in a more action-oriented direction, so it won't be turn-based like all other mainline entries, and will be much more "dark and mature" by exploring heavier themes and just in general be a much darker take on the DQ world. No confirmed platforms yet, and no vague release window, but it will be getting a worldwide release.

Square Memester wrote:

I would settle for a offline version of Dragon Quest X.

Given I've personally never cared much for MMOs, I'd be fine if the offline version of DQX is the only version the Western audience gets (though for people who do like MMOs, I would understand if they felt annoyed instead). Kinda makes me wonder what offline versions of Final Fantasy 11 and 14 would be like.

it won't be turn-based like all other mainline entries, and will be much more "dark and mature" by exploring heavier themes and just in general be a much darker take on the DQ world

So they're finally going the Final Fantasy route

Last edited Jun 03, 2021 at 01:22PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!