Forums / Media / Video Games

38,599 total conversations in 2,697 threads

+ New Thread

Game franchises that need a good reboot

Last posted Aug 25, 2021 at 01:50AM EDT. Added Aug 12, 2021 at 10:46AM EDT
13 posts from 13 users

Painkiller
I had spent many hours in that game back in the late 2000s we also already have Doom and Serious Sam back (even if it was extremely lackluster) so we need Painkiller back too to get the full set
F.E.A.R.
The original was phenomenal (its mind breaking how superior the enemy AI is to most modern ones) and it really stinks how the original plan was completely fucked over by the two sequels (besically SCP before the SCP wiki even existed) it deserves a second chance
Killzone
Another good game with fun story ideas and concept that got fucked over by the sequels

Agreed on FEAR with a reboot more in the style of the original (though FEAR 2 and 3 still had some bits that make me like them in a different way).

Silent Hill
An obvious one. Now of course I'd rather it not be done in-house at Konami unless the management finally gets their shit together and does something crazy like actually reassemble Team Silent for a new project. If a new SH happens it'd be better for Konami to license it out to a studio who could make it work. Bloober Team is a company who has a working relationship with Konami now so it's possible they could make one, and they do make horror adventures with good atmosphere, but the thing is they're specialty is in horror ADVENTURE games, while Silent Hill is typically SURVIVAL horror, where combat and resource management is a thing. Now granted it was fine when the series did this once with a spin-off in the form of Shattered Memories in 2009, but I think nowadays I'd want a new SH to stick more to the survival horror roots of the franchise, especially after Resident Evil pulled it off super well with its recent games. If Bloober Team were given the reigns it'd be nice to see them try something out of their comfort zone and do survival horror, but if not Bloober Team then try another studio.

Saints Row
Now supposedly Volition is working on a Saints Row 5, though I am curious if they're going to attempt to followup after SR4 and Gat Out of Hell, or just reboot the whole franchise. They did do a side game with Agents of Mayhem, which follows up on one of the endings from Gat Out of Hell, but it was a very average game.

+1 to F.E.A.R

Besides that, Brothers in Arms has not had a proper sequel since 2008, just a bunch of mobile spinoffs before the series finally went dormant in 2013.

Call of Juarez, it got rebooted twice, but the first attempt was a janky modern day setting everyone hated and for good reason. The 2nd reboot, Gunslinger, was great and I liked it a lot, but it's sad nothing else ever came from it.

No!! wrote:

Fallout, maybe not a reboot but certainly a change in direction at the very least

Give Wasteland 2 & 3 a try. Really good writing and the setting is just as fun.

In the mean time I'll keep silently waiting for a Megaman Battle Network reboot as the indie spiritual successors fail to satisfy the itch.

The world of Turok has plenty of fertile grounds to pick up from. The saga of the Fireseed lineague, going back and forth from protecting Earth and the Lost Land (a world shaped like a jigsaw puzzle, an amalgamation of past, present and future timelines from across the multiverse) is an interesting area to explore.

The '08 edition of the series only has two things in its favor: the title and the dinosaurs (they're well animated, I admit). Everything else is absurdly generic. That's all I got from that. There was also another game from 2019, a tactics-like game with a chibi art style that focuses in the Son of Stone storylines from the 50's comics. It's an unexpected take on the series, sure, but sometimes I wish they'd take what they did to Doom in 2016 and apply that to a new game for the Dinosaur Hunter.

I would love to see a reboot of Commander Keen that isn’t a mobile game. Maybe give Inti Creates the reigns for such a reboot too. I mean it worked for Blaster Master, it could work for Commander Keen.

A game I've been waiting to be revived for years is Shining Force.

Shining force for what it was, was my introduction to JRPG's back in 2004~2005 on the Sega smash pack 2 on pc along with Sonic 2 and other genesis games. I view Shining Force as a series that could compete with Fire emblem today, especially if they remade the first 3 games in the series.

Recently, a mobile shining force game has been announced by Sega, and it makes my hope waiver for the series a little bit. Every Shining Force titled game made after Camelot left Sega to work for Nintendo has not even come close to how good the first three games made by them were. 4 Years ago, Camelot expressed interest in wanting to make shining force 4, but there still seems to be a kind of feud between Sega and Camelot, so I don't see it happening.

I've had a think about it, and a franchise I would love to see being rebooted is The Suffering.

The atmosphere and monster designs were, and still are, awesome and really unique still some…let me just check…18 Years Later!

God damn, I'm old.

Anyway, although the much better graphics and special effects that can be brought into play can only improve upon it; what I would really love to see is gameplay improvements.

Everyone loves an endearingly janky game and everyone seeks a decent challenge; but the first game feels artificially difficult in some places and the second one becomes damn near unplayable towards the end due to all balance getting thrown out the window as the survival-horror decides to become a horde game which it mechanically just can't handle.

It'll probably never happen, but it would be a very welcoming surprise to see someone take a shot at it.

Id prefer a remake to reboot of The Suffering. Also i just noticed soup king above me literally talked about it too while typing this. So wow nice coincidence.
Id not mind a reboot or remake of Total Annihilation and Total Annihilation Kingdoms. Old 90s RTS games that while janky as hell (especially AI wise) did some neat stuff I dont see as many rts games do even today like missiles and trebuchets having to take into account they fire at an arc so sometimes natural level geometry will render them useless.
Id also not mind a Remake or Reboot of Champions of Norrath and its asset reusing sequel Champions Return to Arms. Top down action rpgs of the ps2 era set in the everquest universe.
As far as rereleasing or remaking I still hope Monster Tale from DS gets that treatment. A Fun if linear metroidvania with a bit of pet raising simulator mixed in.

Last edited Aug 16, 2021 at 12:37AM EDT

Mistress Fortune wrote:

Agreed on FEAR with a reboot more in the style of the original (though FEAR 2 and 3 still had some bits that make me like them in a different way).

Silent Hill
An obvious one. Now of course I'd rather it not be done in-house at Konami unless the management finally gets their shit together and does something crazy like actually reassemble Team Silent for a new project. If a new SH happens it'd be better for Konami to license it out to a studio who could make it work. Bloober Team is a company who has a working relationship with Konami now so it's possible they could make one, and they do make horror adventures with good atmosphere, but the thing is they're specialty is in horror ADVENTURE games, while Silent Hill is typically SURVIVAL horror, where combat and resource management is a thing. Now granted it was fine when the series did this once with a spin-off in the form of Shattered Memories in 2009, but I think nowadays I'd want a new SH to stick more to the survival horror roots of the franchise, especially after Resident Evil pulled it off super well with its recent games. If Bloober Team were given the reigns it'd be nice to see them try something out of their comfort zone and do survival horror, but if not Bloober Team then try another studio.

Saints Row
Now supposedly Volition is working on a Saints Row 5, though I am curious if they're going to attempt to followup after SR4 and Gat Out of Hell, or just reboot the whole franchise. They did do a side game with Agents of Mayhem, which follows up on one of the endings from Gat Out of Hell, but it was a very average game.

Silent Hill's a good choice. But I strongly recommend Clock Tower.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!