Forums / Media / Video Games

38,599 total conversations in 2,697 threads

+ New Thread

Some of the more notable Gamescom announcements

Last posted Sep 25, 2021 at 02:16PM EDT. Added Aug 25, 2021 at 09:10PM EDT
13 posts from 11 users

Like with E3 it's better to put most of these in a single thread rather than multiple, so here's some of the announcements made during the first day of Gamescom:

- Saints Row reboot coming February 25, 2022, will be a cross-gen release. Is a full reboot with a new location, new characters, and the Saints gang building themselves up from square one. Looks to be closer in style to the first two games, but will still have some of the series' famous trademark over-the-top adult humor like the "dildo bat," and the "insurance fraud" minigame is returning. While the debut trailer and Geoff's talk with one of the VAs afterward made it seem like the Boss might be a pre-made character, the Boss IS fully customizable like in prior games. I'm staying on the side of "cautiously optimistic" because the vibe of the trailer didn't feel quite like SR to me, with this game's Saints also looking and acting more like Watch Dogs 2's Dedsec (millennial hipsters as opposed to power hungry gangsters). Still I'm hoping it'll be good (if it's like a modern take on SR2 then that'll be cool).

-Marvel's Midnight Suns announced, is a single player tactical RPG made by XCOM developer Firaxis, coming to all platforms (including Switch) March 2022. Main character is a new hero created specifically for the game called "The Hunter," and the other heroes in the game include the likes of Wolverine, Dr. Strange, Blade, Iron Man, and more.

-First campaign footage of CoD: Vanguard shown, the game looks to be more character focused, akin to something like the Black Ops series.

-Halo Infinite finally confirmed for a December 8, 2021 release, will launch with the campaign and multiplayer (though the multiplayer is going to be free-to-play), with Forge and co-op being added as a free update afterward. Microsoft will also be releasing a limited edition Halo Xbox Series X to celebrate the launch of Infinite, and Halo's 20th anniversary as a franchise. The Series X will be out on November 15 and include a code for Infinite. Good luck trying to get one of course (I already tried).

-Persona 5's Morgana is the latest guest character to be confirmed for Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania. IMO this is a pleasant surprise as I expected if they did any Persona reps it'd be Joker, but Morgana is a more unique pick.

-April O'Neil confirmed as a playable character in TMNT: Shredder's Revenge, and correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the first time 80s April was made playable in a classic TMNT beat-em-up?

-Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga coming to all platforms in Spring 2022, there will be a deluxe edition of the game that comes with a Luke minifig for only $10 extra, so hey Lego collectors looks like you've got a new one to add.

-Park management sim Jurassic World Evolution 2 coming November 9 (not a genre I'm big into, but I know some people loved the first one)

-Horizon: Forbidden West coming out February 18, 2022, leaving Sony with a notable holiday 2021 release gap (I know the PS5 is also hard to find, but still sucks for people who do own one). Also worth noting that Horizon Zero Dawn got an update today where if you play it on a PS5 you can play it at 60 FPS and 4K.

And that's about it for notable announcements and such for the first day of Gamescom. I dunno if we can expect much else but I'll update if something interesting happens.

The new Saints Row looks like a CW show where there's a fake gay couple to draw in a gay audience.
But I love the crap outta customising characters.

Stay the hell away from COD Vanguard for the sake of the women in Activision-Blizzard though.

Morgana in SMB looks adorable

Last edited Aug 25, 2021 at 10:16PM EDT

April O'Neil confirmed as a playable character in TMNT: Shredder's Revenge, and correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the first time 80s April was made playable in a classic TMNT beat-em-up?

thebigguy123 wrote:

The usual rightwing outrage culture merchants are going nuts over the Saints row trailer though

I personally think it just looks kind of bland but I guess thats what happens after playing a lot of the first 4. Especially 3 and 4.
As for the character design Boss/Playa is customizable and changes default look (Even race once) across all 4 original games anyway so them looking kinda meh in trailer shouldnt matter too much in gameplay when the first thing youll really do is change how they look.
I do wish the morgana monkey ball thing was Jack Frost, Pyro Jack, or Mothman or something but Morgana works. Probably wont use any non Monkey Ball characters outside maybe Beat anyway.

Its extremely hard to form an opinion with only cinematics and zero gameplay footage but lets see

Saints Row reboot
I try to be optimitic but this does not look good Saints is all bout witty cool gangsters these don't look witty or cool they just look like hipster stereotypes even the jokes fell flat
@Thebigguy123
For the last time being opposed to the sort of BS you support does not make someone "right-wing" going around screeching this only serves to make us take you less seriously in the end

Midnight Suns
The designs and artstyle look pretty good and if my mental image of a marvel XCOM type gameplay is close to the actual thing this may end up pretty good plus the Midnight Sons are a very underated marvel team (hopefully Moon Knight and Elsa Bloodstone make an apperance)

Halo Infinite
The rumors and leaks are making me really scared

Last edited Aug 26, 2021 at 05:51AM EDT

thebigguy123 wrote:

The new Saints Row looks like a CW show where there's a fake gay couple to draw in a gay audience.
But I love the crap outta customising characters.

Stay the hell away from COD Vanguard for the sake of the women in Activision-Blizzard though.

Morgana in SMB looks adorable

>Stay the hell away from COD Vanguard for the sake of the women in Activision-Blizzard though.

Also stay away because you can all mark my words that it's going to be just as horrendous as CoD WW2 was.

I can feel it in the gameplay they've shown so far.

You'd think making an old-style CoD game with mass infantry combat and each theatre having it's own distinct section wouldn't be too hard, but apparently it is.

>Saint's Row
Oh no
This looks bad

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1129164531?t=2h52m1s
>We are not planning the return of Johnny
>You have plenty of new characters to interact with
>We worked really hard in the DIVERSITY of the new characters
>You have Nina who is this muscle BaDaSs who likes driving around in her car
>You have Ellai who loves to PODCAST (!! ??)
>You have Kev who loves to cook, that's his thing, he loves cooking
>Even though old characters will not be coming back we really like the new characters

This looks really bad

About time we got a release date for Skywalker Saga, and the TMNT game still looks great. Also as thebigguy123 said, stay away from COD and Activision.

Last edited Aug 26, 2021 at 04:04PM EDT

I'm hyped that we finally have more info on Skywalker Saga. I've seen a lot of positive response in the LSW community, though to be honest I'm not that big a fan of the LSW:TFA-style cover shooting and linear movement they seem to be leaning into. Still looks great though, I'll definitely be getting the deluxe edition if the reviews on release hold up

So to go along with April being playable in the new TMNT game, April also got confirmed for Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl, and it's once again her 80's appearance to boot:

But that's not all, CatDog got confirmed as well:

Also regarding the stuff on Saints Row and the characters, wow they're seriously not gonna include Johnny Gat? Dude was the most iconic character in the series. Also yeah sounds too much like they're leaning into making the characters millennial hipsters rather than gangbangers. That worked for something like Watch Dogs 2 because it fit with the characters being part of an anarchist hacker collective, not so much with Saints Row. I want to remain hopeful the game could still be good but I fear the cast will leave me desperately wanting Johnny, Pierce, and Shaundi back.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!