Forums / Media / Video Games

38,598 total conversations in 2,697 threads

+ New Thread

The price for the Nintendo online N64 membership has been revealed...

Last posted Oct 26, 2021 at 05:43PM EDT. Added Oct 15, 2021 at 11:34AM EDT
15 posts from 11 users

The membership offers acces to a library of N64 and Sega Genesis games + free access to the Animal Crossing DLC.

It will cost $49,99 a year, $79,99 for a family pack.

This seems too expensive in my opinion as it more than doubles what you have to pay otherwise, Playstation and Xbox online are still $10 more but offer much more in return. Also, the Animal Crossing DLC is only freely available as long as you have the subscription. This makes it cheaper to just buy the DLC for $25 than renewing that expensive subscription each year.

As much as i want to play Banjo or Star Fox 64, i think i'm sticking with the old subscription.

bonus: you can buy a collection of Mega Drive and Genesis games on Steam for $30 which is also cheaper in my opinion.

Last edited Oct 15, 2021 at 11:37AM EDT

Neat. So anyway Im planning on playing Banjo Kazooie for the first time in years on p64. Last game I beat on that was Bomberman 64 earlier this year and that was nice. Hoping I like it this time since I didnt like Banjo Kazooie much as a kid.

Yeah that's an oof, I thought at most it'd be simply double the price of the base membership, not more than that. One of the only ways I can see this price being further justified is if they continue to make certain paid DLC content free for Expansion Pack tier members, or start offering a free monthly game or two like PS Plus and Xbox Live Gold.

Man, how do they go one step forward, two steps back with this??
Someone suggested the price hike was due to publishing SEGA games, but still I wish it was just a 5-10 dollar increase, not 30. Only way I can see this being fixed is take out the Animal Crossing DLC and lower the price a lot.
And if you think of it, getting this expansion on top of the N64 and Genesis controllers, that lands you at about $150 just to play these old games.

Honestly, I'll only use that 50 on the N64 controller, everything else it's either wait and see or bust.

I was expecting an additional $10 fee for the individual service. Like I don’t like this service plan as much as the next guy, but at least it would be reasonable for some customers. BUT DOUBLE!? What were they thinking!?
I’m sorry man this is bullshit on Nintendo’s part. At this point, there are far better alternatives to play both n64 and SEGA games instead of using this server. Ffs there’s already been a better n64 online play with Project64’s AQZ Netplay Plugin if you really wanted to play these games with your friends.
And given by their scarce release date from its nes/snes selection, no one’s going to spent 2-3 years for a game they might want.

GameBoyXEpic wrote:

I was expecting an additional $10 fee for the individual service. Like I don’t like this service plan as much as the next guy, but at least it would be reasonable for some customers. BUT DOUBLE!? What were they thinking!?
I’m sorry man this is bullshit on Nintendo’s part. At this point, there are far better alternatives to play both n64 and SEGA games instead of using this server. Ffs there’s already been a better n64 online play with Project64’s AQZ Netplay Plugin if you really wanted to play these games with your friends.
And given by their scarce release date from its nes/snes selection, no one’s going to spent 2-3 years for a game they might want.

I think such a pricing would be more justified had they also had

• Game Boy
  • Game Boy Color
  • Game Boy Advance
  • Virtual Boy
  • Nintendo DS
  • GameCube
  • Sega Master System
  • Sega Game Gear
  • Sega CD
  • Sega 32X
  • Sega Saturn

Or at the very least, the Game Boy and its successors.

@Rylade
The Mario Kart 64 clips you posted are due to a poor online connection (notice on the side the player is playing the game over wi-fi), GameXplain had the same problem crop up when doing online Mario Tennis. So not really an emulator problem, just a bad online connection.

The Zelda one is a known rare glitch that can happen in the original cart release, but the cart version does generally crash earlier into the glitch occurring. So again not really an emulation issue, but a known rare bug that player manage to miraculously capture.

There are valid critiques to be made with things like the price and potentially slow trickle of games, but the emulation actually looks to be generally sound from my own experience. WinBack actually feels smoother to control than I remember, Sin and Punishment works fine on a Pro Controller due to a proper d-pad (I imagine joycon users will however have problems, but there is button remapping in the Switch's system settings), and Mario and Zelda actually seem like they run better for me than they did on original hardware, but maybe my old N64 just has issues I'm not fully aware of. I will grant this much though: the Wii U allowed for button remappings within the games themselves, while on Switch you gotta do it from system settings, so there's some mild inconvenience in that one area.

Mistress Fortune wrote:

@Rylade
The Mario Kart 64 clips you posted are due to a poor online connection (notice on the side the player is playing the game over wi-fi), GameXplain had the same problem crop up when doing online Mario Tennis. So not really an emulator problem, just a bad online connection.

The Zelda one is a known rare glitch that can happen in the original cart release, but the cart version does generally crash earlier into the glitch occurring. So again not really an emulation issue, but a known rare bug that player manage to miraculously capture.

There are valid critiques to be made with things like the price and potentially slow trickle of games, but the emulation actually looks to be generally sound from my own experience. WinBack actually feels smoother to control than I remember, Sin and Punishment works fine on a Pro Controller due to a proper d-pad (I imagine joycon users will however have problems, but there is button remapping in the Switch's system settings), and Mario and Zelda actually seem like they run better for me than they did on original hardware, but maybe my old N64 just has issues I'm not fully aware of. I will grant this much though: the Wii U allowed for button remappings within the games themselves, while on Switch you gotta do it from system settings, so there's some mild inconvenience in that one area.

That makes sense. Probably some people just wanted to make the app look a lot worse than it is. Still, that OoT one kinda freaks me out a bit, legit reminds me of Ben Drowned

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!