Forums / Media / Video Games

38,591 total conversations in 2,696 threads

+ New Thread

Here's another old question: What is your dream video game?

Last posted Sep 20, 2022 at 05:34PM EDT. Added Aug 13, 2022 at 11:09PM EDT
18 posts from 16 users

Old thread got auto-locked due to inactivity, might as well start a new one.

Usually, when a question like this gets asked online, people really mean “what game would you like to see made?” Well, I’ll kick off discussion with a game idea that quite literally came to me in a dream (which happened a few nights ago).
I dreamed that something like the Flood from Halo was being contained by the US Government in secret underground bases or something. What exactly they do with it, I’m not sure. All I know is I vaguely perceived their efforts as a sort of base building simulation game where the player has to set up how big you want their rooms to be and that kinda stuff. If whatever is in containment escapes, then it’s basically the end of the world. I think that dream was meant to be a nightmare but it was too fascinating for it to be scary.

Would a Lovecraftian horror-themed base management game work? You be the judge of that one.

Anyway, what’s your “dream game” (ideal or otherwise)?

A Cardfight!! Vanguard adaptation that doesn't use cards.

I've always said that cards in card games only serve as mediums to communicate the game's mechanics; UI, basically. I understand the affection for their physicality, much like how I'm very fond of video game boxes, but video games already have UI of their own, without the need for actual cards.

Now, I can't say I care about other card games given how I very much loathe Yu-Gi-Oh and am not too keen on Shadowverse nor the Pokemon TCG either--the only other three I've played--so let's just focus on Vanguard.

So why do I want a Vanguard game that doesn't use cards so bad? The answer is simple: immersion.

You see, Vanguard(the anime) tells a very contiguous story where the planet portrayed in the game, Cray, is directly linked to Earth--specifically, its inhabitants("units") possess "avatars" on Earth in the form of cards, which are then used in…well, card games. While the anime mainly chronicles the story of the players on Earth, the planet Cray has its own history which, throughout the course of the anime, often intersect with that of Earth's, battling the same forces that threaten both planets and whatnot--battles on Cray seemingly coinciding with card games happening on Earth. Even when the great heroes receive new powers to battle the big bad bosses, the players on Earth receive new cards that depict those powers. This "link" serves as context for one of the game's main mechanics, "Riding", or "Riding the Vanguard", where the player "fuses" with the current Vanguard, personally leading their army to battle.

The game greatly emphasises imagination; in the anime, characters are often told to imagine what's currently happening beyond the card game visuals, to imagine victory and the path that leads to it, and of course, to imagine themselves as the Vanguard.

It even animates the physical battles between units, not just the card fights between players, as in these scenes.

Granted, previous seasons weren't so sakuga.

It's this contextualisation that bridges the gap between the human players playing the card game, and the battles being portrayed by that card game. I'm just speaking from personal experience here, but to me, this whole "imagination" business only works as well as it does because there's only one barrier between the player and the game: the cards, serving as a window to the game's world; put another window like a PC monitor in that formula and suddenly it feels more like I'm just playing with cards.

A new Vanguard video game was announced this year, and I had hopes that it would finally answer my prayers but alas, the recently-revealed gameplay screens shows that it is, in fact, card games.

With the many spin-off games that Pokemon has gotten, there's one genre that I'd like to see done in the franchise: action-platformer. Not like the PokePark games, but more along the lines of the classic 3D platformers made by Rare as well as some of the indie titles like A Hat in Time. The main inspiration for this idea was the unfortunate trainwreck that was Balan Wonderworld, which despite it's failure I thought had a great concept with the ability to switch forms to progress. My idea is to have a Pokemon game that plays out like that, with the player character able to switch between several different Pokemon in the same manner. With 3D platformers still having notability, hopefully something like this could happen.

-A co-op multiplayer open world Zelda game like BOTW where you could play as many of the races and do activities across the world. In my mind, combining botw with the ideas of monster hunter could work alright with this idea in many ways. It is an idea that I had at one point almost made into a homebrew D&D. As of right now, Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity comes close to that idea, but I'd rather have the game be less like a dynasty warriors game and more like monster hunter / botw.
-A mix between Star Fox Assault's varried vehicle combat along with the exploration aspects of No Man's Sky would be awsome too. I'd love it if it was co-op as well.
-I'd also actually like to see a crossover between Splatoon and a Mario Sunshine like game, although I can see it being a alternative versus mode in Splatoon where one team paints the map and the other tries to clean it.
-Pokemon Scarlet and Violet looks pretty much like one of the games I was asking for. The only thing I dont know if it has is pokemon followers or better animations compared to recent games.
-Mix a co-op Pokemon mystery dungeon game with cave generations like what Deep Rock Galactic has and I think it'd be awesome, especially if you could evolve as you progress through the game rather than after the game is finished.
-Hell, I'd just be hype if they did something new and cool with any of the existing Nintendo IP's and made it co-op compatible.

I still wish we'd get a Mario and Sonic platformer crossover. Apparently the reason why Nintendo and Sega opted for a sports-minigame compilation instead was due to not being able to come up with a good way to combine Sonic's speedier platforming with Mario's slower and more acrobatic style, but I'd like to think nowadays they'd be able to come up with something. Now granted I'll play favorites here and admit I kinda want it to be handled more so by Nintendo than Sonic Team (I trust Koizumi more than I do Iizuka), but I still hope one day the "dream platformer crossover that would make a child of the 90s shocked" can happen.

Know this is considered taboo since there was an attempt at it and it failed, but I want a Warhammer 40k game that’s similar to Battlefield and Battlefront. Like just imagine a big 60 v 60 battle between Imperial Guard players and Chaos Guard players. And you have bits and pieces where you can get rank ups and either call in a Drop Pod for space marines or end the match with an Exterminatus.

Another one that I want is a Halo: Reach style game for 40k. Except make it take place on a world like Cadia during the 13th black crusade. Could be about the special military branch of the Cadian Shock Troopers trying to take out Chaos forces and end with the team slowly being picked off like how Reach was with Noble Team. Have the game end similar to Reach where Noble 6 is tasked with holding off an entire army of Covenant forces but have it be the sole remaining shock trooper from the fire team and the remaining guard on the planet holding off hoards/tides of Chaos forces until you either die or Cadia starts to break apart.

Another 40k game that I want is just a Dragon Age/Mass Effect style game where you play as an inquisitor. Like have the whole Paragon and Renegade system but replace it with Radical and Puritan with the choices you make during the game.

Just make more 40k games that aren’t just RTS style games and actually more diverse.

It's not really that taboo. Game studios have tried again and again to create some sort of large-scale 40k shooter, though usually in the form of an MMO.

As for myself:

Basically a supported and perhaps somewhat modernized version of Star Wars Galaxies. The game, when I played, became better and better over time. Near the time of the end I'd say it was genuinely good, but it never recovered from the NGE player drop and having to compete with games like WoW. In a different time, I think it could've made a comeback.

SWG was a very big influence on how I viewed MMOs, as it was my very first one. In hindsight, it had a lot of what I was looking for and still look for in MMOs:

-No gear treadmill (more or less)
-Popular IP
-Systems which encourage organic socialization (like player housing and cantinas).
-A large degree of player freedom/activities (you could literally make player cities on some planets)
-World PvP
-A large amount of immersion, mostly owed to player freedom and the social aspect (obviously not immersive for everything, but if you disregarded some things such as copious amount of jedi, it could really feel like you were running around in the star wars universe).

I've said it before and I'll say it again: SWTOR was not worth the trade. As fun as it is, I'd rather have my unique mmo back

Mistress Fortune wrote:

I still wish we'd get a Mario and Sonic platformer crossover. Apparently the reason why Nintendo and Sega opted for a sports-minigame compilation instead was due to not being able to come up with a good way to combine Sonic's speedier platforming with Mario's slower and more acrobatic style, but I'd like to think nowadays they'd be able to come up with something. Now granted I'll play favorites here and admit I kinda want it to be handled more so by Nintendo than Sonic Team (I trust Koizumi more than I do Iizuka), but I still hope one day the "dream platformer crossover that would make a child of the 90s shocked" can happen.

THIS THIS THIS

I would also kill for a remaster of Dragon Quest V. It's one of the finest JRPGs of all time with its more emotional and personal story and it would be awesome if its gameplay were more modernized.

thebigguy123 wrote:

THIS THIS THIS

I would also kill for a remaster of Dragon Quest V. It's one of the finest JRPGs of all time with its more emotional and personal story and it would be awesome if its gameplay were more modernized.

I heard 4-6 have remasters for mobile and that said remasters are actually good. But ideally I’d like to see 4-6 get the HD-2D remake treatment after they finish the HD-2D remakes of 1-3.

I have two ideas one is my dream Pokemon game

Basically a happy medium in that we'd get mostly new Pokemon while the old Pokemon present get something new. Also old Pokemon not in the game are added with Free Updates.

The other is one of many ideas for a 2D Mario game and would be inspired by the American Super Mario Bros 2 and DKC2: Diddy's Kong Quest. The story would involve Wart taking over the Koopa Kingdom, prompting Mario, Luigi, Toad, Peach, Yoshi, and Birdo to go on a quest to retake the Kingdom. Yoshi and Birdo act as an easy mode as both share a Flutter Jump and their Egg Shot and Tongue Attacks. They can't spin jump but are able to jump on spiked enemies without any consequence as the button used to spin-jump lets them swap between the Power-Up's attack and their default attack.

With the game set in the Koopa Kingdom, the theme is storming enemy territory just like in Diddy's Kong Quest and the world map themes would be threatening.However, unlike that game, it would change with each world, possibly giving off a feeling of determination over the course of the game until when you get to the last world, it doesn't feel threatening or foreboding and more like if the game is encouraging you to continue on and to defeat Wart.

Moreover, as you get farther into the game, you see Wart's influence increase more and more like pipes being replaced with bigger vases, Bowser's brainwashed minions being phased out until being replaced with tougher and similar substitutes, and it could culminate in the final world being based in Bowser's Castle, now with all the lava gone and given a makeover in Wart's image. The setting of Bowser's Kingdom also gives us the chance to do something different with world themes.
So here are the worlds.

Mistress Fortune wrote:

I heard 4-6 have remasters for mobile and that said remasters are actually good. But ideally I’d like to see 4-6 get the HD-2D remake treatment after they finish the HD-2D remakes of 1-3.

That's what I'm talking about

A Mario and Sonic crossover platformer. Maybe throw in some other franchises too, like Bomberman, Zelda, Donkey Kong Country, Banjo-Kazooie, Star Fox, Earthbound/Mother, Fire Emblem, Crash Bandicoot, Mega Man…

Last edited Sep 07, 2022 at 09:19AM EDT

Hey-hey!
I have always been a fan of The Walking Dead. I love the suspense and the gore, and I always root for the good guys (or gals). So, when I heard that there was going to be a video game based on the TV show, I was beyond excited. And, when I finally got my hands on The Walking Dead: The Game, I was not disappointed. The game stays true to the spirit of the show, while still providing an engaging and unique gaming experience. You play as Lee Everett, a convicted criminal who is given a second chance at life when the zombie apocalypse hits. As you travel across Georgia with your ragtag group of survivors, you must make tough choices that could mean life or death for your friends (and yourself). The Walking Dead: The Game is an emotional rollercoaster ride that will keep you coming back for more.

My dream game would be a one sort of like Dwarf Fortresses adventure mode where actions have consequences, like how you could see statues of your characters deeds if they are well known enough and enough time passes that someone commemorates them, and your runs all take place in a single world, seperated only by time
I would want a game sort of like that, but with actual tough but fun action gameplay. While adventure modes turn based combat isnt bad, you could see that its mainly balanced around Fort mode's 4X gameplay, where a single bad rng roll could either instantly kill you or leave you unable to function and needing to retire. My dream game would be focused on the adventuring side of things

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!