Forums / Media / Video Games

38,604 total conversations in 2,698 threads

+ New Thread

Infamous DRM Denuvo wants to branch out into console games too and looks like they're starting with the Switch

Last posted Sep 05, 2022 at 10:09PM EDT. Added Aug 24, 2022 at 04:33PM EDT
6 posts from 4 users

Source

Yeah I'm not happy about this. Switch games already have to inherently take performance hits due to the age of the hardware (Nintendo's even been trying to mitigate this as of late by using AMD's Super Resolution tech and might be using Nvidia DLSS for the Switch's successor if those Nvidia leaks are anything to go by), and Denuvo could only make this worse. Should note that as of right now it looks like the parent company behind Denuvo are the only ones interested in doing this and no mention has been made of Nintendo being the ones to reach out. Denuvo claims they're doing this to prevent people from dumping Switch games onto emulators, but we all know damn well that shit ain't gonna last long at all.

Mistress Fortune wrote:

Source

Yeah I'm not happy about this. Switch games already have to inherently take performance hits due to the age of the hardware (Nintendo's even been trying to mitigate this as of late by using AMD's Super Resolution tech and might be using Nvidia DLSS for the Switch's successor if those Nvidia leaks are anything to go by), and Denuvo could only make this worse. Should note that as of right now it looks like the parent company behind Denuvo are the only ones interested in doing this and no mention has been made of Nintendo being the ones to reach out. Denuvo claims they're doing this to prevent people from dumping Switch games onto emulators, but we all know damn well that shit ain't gonna last long at all.

Yeah, if Nintendo starts actually trying to use Denuvo it'll just give people more of a reason to buy a Steam Deck. It's been rumored that the switch pro is in the making [several times over the years], or Nintendo's going to be creating a new console all together. Right now, I really believe Nintendo might really start to loose a decent chunk of market potential to Valve by delaying any kind of system upgrade. Plus, Nintendo is really lacking behind several companies when it comes to Online gameplay, so much so that their Online capabilities are essentially the model of how not to run a online service. No voice chat, no direct messages with friends, poor pricing for digital games, a pretty bad designed storefront, very bad online experience in several games, and poorly offered online plans with bad values per tier.

Valve has so much potential to take over the handheld gaming market if Nintendo does nothing in response. It'll even be more so if Valve manages to create an upgraded version of the deck before the Nintendo even makes a new console release.

One thing to note is apparently, Denuvo has already provided support to SteamOS as well. The real worry here is that if Denuvo starts trying to get into console games as well, it could make console exclusives perform worse as well.

Given that the Switch isn't that strong hardware wise, hopefully Nintendo realizes that having DRM would make their games perform even worse, but it's clear that Nintendo also doesn't really like emulation much, so Denuvo preventing emulation could be too attractive for them to pass up

qx1511 wrote:

One thing to note is apparently, Denuvo has already provided support to SteamOS as well. The real worry here is that if Denuvo starts trying to get into console games as well, it could make console exclusives perform worse as well.

Given that the Switch isn't that strong hardware wise, hopefully Nintendo realizes that having DRM would make their games perform even worse, but it's clear that Nintendo also doesn't really like emulation much, so Denuvo preventing emulation could be too attractive for them to pass up

I wonder if Denuvo specifically saying they're trying to target file dumping and emulation is their way of trying to get Nintendo on board. Take advantage of how much Nintendo's higher ups don't like unauthroized emulation and then broker a deal to get it implemented into Switch dev kits or something. As much as we all know Nintendo doesn't like emulation that they themselves didn't give the okay towards, I'd like to hope they're smart enough to know implementing Denuvo into their games wouldn't work in the long run as it'll get cracked super easily. Nintendo's best way of combatting piracy this generation has been to simply release good games people want and it's been working well for them with the Switch topping sales charts and the vast majority of Nintendo published games reaching over 1 million copies sold. Yes they certainly don't like it when people admit to pirating (even Jim "Stephanie" Sterling outright advocated for pirating Nintendo games by saying they believe it to be "morally correct"), but their dev teams have been putting in the work to make sure people will buy their games rather than pirate them, so lets not ruin the devs work by forcing in some extra DRM.

So at the very least Denuvo did confirm Nintendo has NOT reached out to them and I hope it stays that way

They said it's only been third parties who reached out to them to see about putting the infamous DRM in Switch games, and yeah now I'm curious on who is asking to put DRM in console games. Honestly wouldn't surprise me if it's the same companies that still continue to use Denuvo in their PC releases like EA, Ubisoft, Square-Enix, and Capcom.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!