Forums / Media / Video Games

38,602 total conversations in 2,698 threads

+ New Thread

All the Yakuza/Like a Dragon announcements from the RGG Showcase

Last posted Sep 15, 2022 at 04:29PM EDT. Added Sep 15, 2022 at 12:39PM EDT
2 posts from 2 users

So one thing to note up front is from now on Sega has stated the franchise name in English will indeed be "Like a Dragon" going forward for two reasons. First is that this is a translation of the original Japanese name, Ryu Ga Gotoku (which is also the name of the studio responsible for the franchise), so they want to better unify the naming across the world, and second the series isn't strictly focused on just the yakuza itself so it helps open things up for other types of stories going forward.

Now as for the announcements themselves:

-Judgment and Lost Judgment are finally coming to PC (these two games infamously had trouble coming to the PC platform due to the talent agency that represents the actor who plays the MC being absurdly strict with how his "image" is used)
-Like a Dragon: Ishin!, previously confirmed during Sony's State of Play, is a remake of a previously Japan exclusive historical spin-off coming out next February
-Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name is an interquel game set between the sixth and seventh mainline entries which will show more of what was going on with Kiryu in the time between both games. It's set for 2023.
-Like a Dragon 8 is the next mainline entry in the series and is scheduled for 2024

Also of note is the head of the studio has stated that the Dragon Engine introduced with Yakuza 6 is "getting old" and the team wants to move to Unreal Engine, and it turns out the remake of Ishin! is being built on Unreal (previously I assumed it was the Dragon Engine).

The head of RGG Studios also stated to not expect the series to come to Switch anytime soon as he doesn't believe the Switch has the audience they're looking for for the series, which I find really weird because did the dude forget this is the same console with games like Bayonetta 3, the entire Doom franchise, and Shin Megami Tensei V? Two of which are at least co-published by his studio's publisher? I think the dude just isn't willing to admit they're still sore the Wii U ports of Yakuza 1 and 2 from like 2013 (which was a Japan-only release) selling poorly and won't let it go.

That one odd statement aside, I'm quite excited for the future of the franchise-formerly-named-Yakuza.

Last edited Sep 15, 2022 at 12:43PM EDT

Since Ishin is confirmed, I just want to leave this for any Yakuza fan that doesn't know: you and Ryuji get to duke it out in a bathhouse, naked and with a cloud acting as a censor while the fight goes on. Also the game throws in a QTE where Kiryu and Ryuji charge at each other and Kiryu throws Ryuji after giving the latter a smack.

As a side note, I do wonder though how much of the Dragon Engine can get more squeezed out of it despite the existence of the Unreal Engine.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!