Forums / Media / Video Games

38,632 total conversations in 2,701 threads

+ New Thread

Nintendo confirms the Switch successor will be revealed within the next year; June Direct confirmed, but the new console will NOT be there

Last posted May 09, 2024 at 03:59PM EDT. Added May 07, 2024 at 07:36AM EDT
8 posts from 8 users

Source

Nintendo's own president just confirmed during a recent Investor Briefing that yes the successor to the Nintendo Switch, dubbed "Switch 2" by the gaming community until confirmed otherwise, will be revealed within the "upcoming fiscal year." This means the console will finally be unveiled sometime between now and March 2025, though I personally think it'll be before 2024 is over. If Nintendo follows a similar schedule that they did with the original Switch we might be getting a reveal around fall, then a blowout of launch information in early 2025, and then the launch probably around next Spring.

Nintendo also confirmed that yes they will have a Nintendo Direct next month, which admittedly was expected but a solid confirmation never hurts. It should be noted though that the new console will NOT be shown at this Direct. This Direct will likely be focused solely on the last major releases Nintendo still has for the current Switch, probably a handful of smaller "wind down" titles to keep players happy but nothing mind blowing like Metroid Prime 4 (unless it's confirmed Prime 4 is a crossgen game like Breath of the Wild was).

So place your bets, will Nintendo call the system the "Switch 2" and keep the branding simple but not as confusing for the average consumer like what happened with the Wii U, or do you think Nintendo will opt for a new name entirely? I personally think they will keep the "Switch" name, but I think after the Wii U Nintendo learned a hard lesson in realizing the name of the console does need to be something that makes it 100% clear "this is a new console, NOT an accessory."

The Switch 2 sounds alright. Don't think anybody will mistake it as an accessory to the Switch, otherwise you'd have people mistake the Playstation 2 as an "accessory" to the original Playstation.

Speaking of the Switch, News recently came out that the Switch has now sold at least 140 million units now.

Pokejoseph64 wrote:

Honestly I never got the whole “people thinking the Wii U is a Wii accessory”. Thing, as I remember Nintendo made it pretty damn obvious it was the Wii’s successor, not an accessory

From what I remember reading in the Youtube comments for a Mario 3D World commercial, people were complaining that the commercial (as well as others before it) showed people playing using Wii Remotes instead of Wii U Pro Controllers, and that's what mostly lead to the confusion.

It's hard to believe that the next Nintendo console will be anything but the switch 2. From the lawsuit against Yuzu and the growing number of handheld game console manufacturers, it seems Nintendo has little choice other than to improve upon the handheld gaming console market. They are going to need to find better long term grounds for third party game sales if they want to stay competitive, otherwise I believe Valve will keep winning on that front. At the very least Nintendo could start by… oh I don't know… deploying dedicated servers for their customers to use instead of having them pay for the privilege of peer-to-peer connections.

There also isn't really a whole awful lot of room for computer chips to improve better than they are now in the short term, so they've got to make the most out of the selection of processors available to them.

Last edited May 09, 2024 at 04:09PM EDT

Yo! You must login or signup first!