PROTIP: Press 'i' to view the image gallery, 'v' to view the video gallery, or 'r' to view a random entry.
This submission is currently being researched & evaluated!
You can help confirm this entry by contributing facts, media, and other evidence of notability and mutation.
Dammit Jim, I’m a Doctor not a X is a meme which originated from Star Trek: The Original Series . The phase was originally said by Dr Leonard McCoy but is also said by many other characters not just restricted to The Original Series
Use in show
The phase is said often in the show and is said in later Star Trek series. Not always would McCoy say the term and not always exactly like that. Special thanks to Memory-Alpha.org for the following quotes.
Note: The Following are all said by Leonard McCoy, It it said many more times by other chracters. For a full list click here
- “What am I, a doctor or a moon-shuttle conductor?” (TOS: “The Corbomite Maneuver”)
- “My dear girl, I’m a doctor. When I peek, it is in the line of duty.” (TOS: “Shore Leave”)
- “I don’t know, Jim. This is a big ship. I’m just a country doctor.” (TOS: “The Alternative Factor”)
- “Me, I’m a doctor. If I were an officer of the line…” (TOS: “A Taste of Armageddon”)
- “What do you mean what sort of work? I’m a doctor.” (TOS: “This Side of Paradise”)
- “I’m a doctor, not a bricklayer.” (TOS: “The Devil in the Dark”)
- “I’m a surgeon, not a psychiatrist.” (TOS: “The City on the Edge of Forever”)
- “I’m not a scientist or a physicist, Mr. Spock…” (TOS: “Metamorphosis”)
- “Look, I’m a doctor, not an escalator.” (TOS: “Friday’s Child”)
- “I’m a doctor, not a mechanic.” (TOS: “The Doomsday Machine”)
- “I’m a doctor, not an engineer.” (TOS: “Mirror, Mirror”)
- “I’m not a magician, Spock, just an old country doctor.” (TOS: “The Deadly Years”)
- “I will not peddle flesh! I’m a physician.” (TOS: “Return to Tomorrow”)
- “I’m a doctor, not a coal miner.” (TOS: “The Empath”)
- “I’m not a mechanic, Spock…” (TOS: “The Empath”)
Use in Meme
Not all uses of the term have a exact formula but in most cases it follows “Dammit Jim, I’m a Doctor not a X.”