Forums / Discussion / Q & A

3,277 total conversations in 495 threads

+ New Thread

I need help with ublock origin

Last posted May 20, 2024 at 10:25PM EDT. Added May 19, 2024 at 10:21AM EDT
10 posts from 6 users

been installing it to deal with the constant ads here but now it can't seem to filter out the ads all of a sudden?

Notice how the ublock icon is still red

So what can I do? is there a button on there that can filter out all ads here like it did before?

Last edited May 19, 2024 at 10:23AM EDT

What browser are you on? When I first heard about similar occurrences from Twitter users a while back, to my knowledge it was mainly a Chrome thing. If so, then just another reason to not even bother with Chrome.

Last edited May 19, 2024 at 11:13AM EDT

blank profile pic wrote:

What browser are you on? When I first heard about similar occurrences from Twitter users a while back, to my knowledge it was mainly a Chrome thing. If so, then just another reason to not even bother with Chrome.

I think Google is trying to kill adblockers on their platform, cause corporations are complaining they can't shove ads into our faces while we're trying to watch Youtube vids. I saw news saying that Google wants to remove all adblockers from Chrome once and for all next month, so if he's using Chrome, it wouldn't surprise me if the adblockers are being a bit wonky

I'm on Firefox and I'm currently not getting ads on KYM with ublock

qx1511 wrote:

I think Google is trying to kill adblockers on their platform, cause corporations are complaining they can't shove ads into our faces while we're trying to watch Youtube vids. I saw news saying that Google wants to remove all adblockers from Chrome once and for all next month, so if he's using Chrome, it wouldn't surprise me if the adblockers are being a bit wonky

Article title: "Google to weaken ad blockers on Chrome in a push for security"

A push for security, PFFFFFFT GIMME A BREAK

qx1511 wrote:

Chrome isn't removing all ad blockers, just removing the ones using Manifest V2. The good news is that you'll still have a degree of protection using uBlock Origin Lite. The bad news is that it's a severely limited version with no custom filters, several other options missing and, most importantly, no ability to apply quick filter fixes. Filters can only be updated along with updates to the extension itself, which I believe must be submitted for approval, so it's going to be impossible to keep up with ad companies that frequently update their ad scripts (like YouTube, surprise surprise).

Firefox has committed to keep supporting Manifest V2, so I strongly recommend switching if you can. You can easily import all your data from Chrome.

blank profile pic wrote:

I'm actually on microsoft edge and I managed to figure out a way to get it working again, Basically by deleting the extension and getting it back which actually made it filter out ads like I want it to.

Sorry for the lack of context, hope this clears things up a bit.

Didn't expect this post to get like four comments though.

Last edited May 20, 2024 at 03:04PM EDT

Other Chromium-based browsers will also phase out Manifest V2, not just Chrome. That includes Edge. Microsoft has yet to announce when it will happen, it may or may not be as the same time as Chrome, but it's safe to say it will happen sooner or later:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/extensions-chromium/developer-guide/manifest-v3

TheHolyEmpress wrote:

Other Chromium-based browsers will also phase out Manifest V2, not just Chrome. That includes Edge. Microsoft has yet to announce when it will happen, it may or may not be as the same time as Chrome, but it's safe to say it will happen sooner or later:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/extensions-chromium/developer-guide/manifest-v3

Welp, definitely glad I'm on Firefox right now. Fingers crossed they don't go to the Dark Side.

So aside from Firefox, what other browsers do y'all recommend?

Last edited May 20, 2024 at 09:58PM EDT

qx1511 wrote:

Welp, definitely glad I'm on Firefox right now. Fingers crossed they don't go to the Dark Side.

So aside from Firefox, what other browsers do y'all recommend?

It's unlikely, Firefox has nothing to gain by following Chrome's example. On the contrary, it's good publicity not to. Other major browsers are based on Chromium, so they have to play Google's game whether they like it or not.

I personally have never used it, but Brave publicly said last year it will continue to support uBlock Origin despite bring Chromium-based. I'm not sure if they've changed their mind or how they plan to do it, but there's that.

https://twitter.com/brave/status/1725622768262128006

I don't know about other popular browser (like Opera), but if they're being so quiet about it they'll probably follow Chrome's footsteps.

Hey! You must login or signup first!