Forums / Media / Video Games

38,674 total conversations in 2,706 threads

+ New Thread

The best movie tie-in game you've played?

Last posted Feb 03, 2016 at 06:18PM EST. Added Jan 09, 2016 at 03:29PM EST
21 posts from 20 users

Let's be honest, movie tie-in games tend to suck. However, when the license is given to the proper people, there can be a genuinely good movie to video game adaptation. Which one is the best you've played?

Mine would be the GBA version of Revenge of the Sith (which is ironically a better experience than the movie it's based on). It's a fun beat-em-up that only really suffers from downright hilarious writing (Anakin makes the change from good to evil in a ridiculously short amount of time).

Last edited Jan 09, 2016 at 03:30PM EST

The GBA port of the 2005 King Kong movie, which was a good Zelda clone with some good mechanics and quite a big world for the kind of game it is.
Of course, I may be biased since it was the first video game I ever owned and thus played it multiple times as a kid, but it's held up pretty well I guess ¯\(ツ)/¯

The new Mad Max game is pretty damn awesome. It feels like it belongs in the Mad Max universe while still having enjoyable gameplay, and I think that's pretty much the most important thing when it comes to a movie tie in.

Shrek 2 PS2
The Spongebob Squarepants Movie Game PS2 & PC
The Lego Tie-in games
The Simpsons: Hit & Run The PC version apparently has modding capabilities has seen here
The Simpsons Game Wii & 360 versions
The Simpsons: Road Rage Console versions
SpongeBob SquarePants: SuperSponge PS1 version

Last edited Jan 13, 2016 at 02:49AM EST

I'll be rather unoriginal and say Goldeneye is still a big favorite of mine, and what's interesting is now it comes in two flavors. First is the N64 original by Rare that uses the likenesses of the original actors, and helped pave the way for quality console shooters (since before this shooters were considered to be "only good on PC"). Yeah I know some aspects of it haven't aged well, but there's no denying the huge legacy it made.

And of course second you've got the reimagining developed by Eurocom for the Wii (though the 360 and PS3 got an enhanced port later) that redoes the movie's plot with Daniel Craig's version of Bond. Yeah I know this one's probably me cheating since this isn't a direct adaptation of the 1995 movie, but rather a reimagined update with the most recent Bond and completely redesigned levels and new mechanics (the game was built off the CoD engine and as such does feature mechanics from CoD, but there is a Classic setting that does do things like turn regen health off), but it's such a very well made retake on both the movie and the original game that I like to count it anyway.

Last edited Jan 13, 2016 at 03:26AM EST

Unraveler wrote:

Would really like to buy it again from GOG

Seriously an underrated FPS/brawler. Sure the framerate may be crap, but the game is fun nonetheless. That and the ability to have Jack say "I'm outta magazines!" constantly is really funny.

Spider-Byte wrote:

The best one.

So many memories of piledriving thugs from the top of the Empire State Building.

Also my list:
(the above but on Xbox)
SW: Battlefront 2
SW: Republic Commando
Lego Star Wars (Complete Saga)

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!