Forums / Discussion / General

234,772 total conversations in 7,810 threads

+ New Thread

Edgy Things You Actually Like

Last posted Nov 16, 2016 at 05:59AM EST. Added Oct 22, 2016 at 04:17PM EDT
48 posts from 39 users

Also known as guilty pleasures thread. We all know how stigmatized all forms of edge are. But here is your confession booth. Don't be afraid just confess your edgy sins for all to see we won't judge. All of us like some kind of edge.

1) I like Reaper. His back-story, his lines, his design, etc. And I haven't even played Overwatch. Sure in a way reaper is meant to be ironic but he's also not. I'm sure most of us could agree with this one Reaper is a good edge.

2) I find excessive blood in some cases to be pretty cool. Like to be a little descriptive usually in fictional shit when someone starts coughing up blood I find that to be super badass. It has to be done well though like there are only specific uses of blood I will admire in an edgy way. Usually when it makes violence seem more real so it has to be balanced. Makes the people fighting or whatever seem more human and you get more invested into the fight.

3) I really like the goth style. No not emo specifically goth, yes there's a difference. I feel like if I was a normal girl I would definitely have a full goth phase and I'd probably still have remnants of it now lol. I actually love chokers. Not super extreme fuckin clown-face gothic, more like the vampire stuff. Recently I actually made a file in Dark Souls 2 where I made a character who was like full black hair, snow white skin, red eyes, edgy looking tattoos, etc.

4) This character was also a hexer. I got super excited about the hexer and made the build on mugenmonkey too my heart was pounding just designing it it was like 2 am. I'm a sad person.

5) Black and red is a decent color scheme. Used to be my favorite, not anymore, but I'm still a fan if done well I guess. Like Shadow is pretty well designed (when he's not holding a gun) and so is Ryuko.

First I'll parrot a few things you said:

1. I like goth fashion and music, enough so that I would in fact dress goth if I had decent clothes.

2. I like playing Reaper in Overwatch.

3. Black and red is a very pleasing color scheme.

4. Blood can enhance violent situations in works of fiction such as Mortal Kombat or a horror game.

And onto some new stuff:

1. Despite it's status among some "metal elitists" I actually do like deathcore, such as this:

2. I'm also quite into industrial and EBM, which is "goth-y music" that's more "up tempo"

Koishi Komeiji's Heart-Throbbing Adventure.

A fanmade Touhou video series. It features crudely-drawn artwork (it does improve to a more refined one, however) and a plot where the people of Gensokyo are driven to insanity and go on murderous rampage out of nowhere. At first i watched it (years ago because the creator really takes his time, it first started in 2009 as per the Nicovideo upload date, latest videos feature LoLK characters) because sure why not, but the final episodes really surprised me, when it gives answers to the nature of the incident (requires some basic knowledge of how 2hu works, though), so much foreshadowing everywhere.

Last edited Oct 22, 2016 at 06:59PM EDT

I'm an american who listens to Alternative, Metal, Experimental, or any kind of rock in general other than country music cause I fucking hate this retarded ass redneck daddy rock shit. My favorite anime doesn't revolve a Gary Stu Mormon, who is a black caped, MLG Pro, trickshot, noscoping faggot but probably sucks dick in real life, starting a cuckoldry rape fest so he could create genetic modified super powered inbreeds who'll make more lulz to the world or some shit, which is highly unlikely to happen because he is still a faggot I read ED so you'll understand why I talk like this so shut the fuck up and become an hero, like the crossed eyed jap whose name isn't Toyota who once jumped off a cliff and yelled "TENNO HEIKA, BAAAANZAAAAAI" just he can do it right.

When every puritan fucks strongly agree with Fire Emblem Fates censorship Localization should be sent to the Philippines to be shot by Duterte and his M1911 by pointing at your genitals up to your thick skulls.

• I enjoy deconstruction stories/media, sometimes even in genres I don't normally watch, E.g. Evangelion, Madoka Magica.
  • I immensely enjoy watching Death-Note.
  • Part of my eclectic taste in music includes Metal and Hard Rock: which as of now covers game soundtracks in those genres, Iron maiden, and Shinedown. I could also include Pink Floyd's The Wall in this post too for being edgy to an extent. (I'm not really adapt to expending what bands I listen to :p)
  • I'll over look most levels of violence in a game to play it for fun, as you would expect from another young male gamer. Including and not limit to Doom 2016, Hotline Miami, Mortal Kombat 9, BioShock, and eventually playing Resident Evil 4 in the near future.
  • I have a particular affinity for games that balance FPS/Action with Horror elements like in System Shock 2, more so then straight up horror games or straight over-the-top action. So I might end up getting F.E.A.R.1 and Dead Space 1 just to fill that niche somewhere along the line, and I will eventually finish Bioshock, and then there's Dark souls…
  • While Reaper isn't my favorite character in OW, If it would help the team for me to switch out of Zenyatta and into my El Blanco Reaper to get enough easy frags to unlease a PoTG Beyblades-Ult while I'm laughing maniacally at my unfound potential for bringing death then sign me the fuck up!

I just love those weird, trippy gory games that even though killing there is actually bad but feels so good. Shadow Warrior and the reboot is great, so does Hotline Miami.

I play Brutal Doom with "Overdrawn at the Bloodbank" blood amount setting, the highest. And if I know how to program, code or just know how to make a game in general, I want to make a first-person Hotline Miami with the gore system of Soldier of Fortune and Killing Floor 2, ripping guts out and blowing heads off over 80s VHS tape post-processing and all that A E S T H E T I C stuff.

Deblod100 wrote:

I actually liked some of My Chemical Romance songs.

MCR was among one of my favorite bands in high school. Shit lets get all "90s and 00s edgy" up in here and mention a few other "edgy" bands I took a liking to during that era (that, honestly, I still unironically like):

-My Chemical Romance (they actually hated being labeled "emo," but still jokingly said "I guess we're 'when you've got nothing better' emo.")

-Slipknot

-Korn (I actually still like a good amount of nu-metal)

-Linkin Park (I still like to pop in Meteora for old times sake)

-Evanescence

-They're not really "edgy" anymore but Panic at the Disco's first album was also a part of that "certain bands being mislabled as emo" era (they've changed their sound a lot over the years, they briefly went with a Beatles inspired sound for one album, and their latest one is more Sinatra inspired)

(I like to feel I'm a bit of a "meme hipster" when it comes to some music, as I can say I unironically enjoyed many songs from these bands before they became memetic, like seriously seeing "Bring Me To Life" become something of a meme made me go "man when did I travel back to high school?")

Last edited Oct 23, 2016 at 05:24PM EDT

Damn ya'll literally listed every band I listened to in high school/still listen to. :C MCR's last album is one of my favs.

The two that I'm most embarrassed to admit I still sing with when they come on my Pandora are Simple Plan and Good Charlotte. I had some extremely edgy emo moments during the first two years of high school set to Simple Plan lol. I'M JUST A KIIIIIIIIID AND LIFE IS A NIGHTMARE~

Kamelot and Nightwish have some genuinely beautiful songs, but 70% of them (especially Kamelot) is a Middleschool poetry fest.

Could be worse, it could be Bullet for My Valentine. Good lord was this band Bismuth as hell.

Freakenstein wrote:

Kamelot and Nightwish have some genuinely beautiful songs, but 70% of them (especially Kamelot) is a Middleschool poetry fest.

Could be worse, it could be Bullet for My Valentine. Good lord was this band Bismuth as hell.

I still like listening to "Your Betrayal" fairly often:

Mistress Fortune wrote:

I still like listening to "Your Betrayal" fairly often:

I don't know what song it was, but it was a music video where a wimpy kid gets revenge on his middleschool bully and crush who falls for said bully by turning into a werewolf, who then EATS BOTH OF THEM. I don't know what year it was, but when I watched that music video, I had a sudden urge to buy black makeup haha

I think the issue with people categorizing things as "edgy" in a demeaning way is because of how much hatred to 90s and 2000s culture there's in the internet that is currently popular.

I personally love many things that are considered "edgy"

1. First and foremost I'm a big metalhead , and no matter the genre of metal it's kinda considered "edgy". Metallica, Megadeth,Judas Priest, Gojira, SOAD, Disturbed, Annihilator and many more are among my favorites

2. I generally love black in mostly everything. It's a simple and soft color for clothing (it's helps also since I'm kinda fat) and I can use it in almost everyday situation.

3. Of course as a Sonic fan, I love Shadow (not so much the game but the character is fine by me). At the very least, he has evolved around in other media from "edgy" to more like "petty asshole" like he was on Adventure 2 instead of the wandering moron he was on STH.

4. Reaper is probably the coolest character in Overwatch. Aside the fact he's Latino like me, his overall design and personality OOZES with character. Probably the most recognizable character from Overwatch alongside Winston and Tracer and probably McCree (because memes)

5. Gore is something I can enjoy depending in the media. I LOOOVE Mortal Kombat and other gory games like God of War or PROTOTYPE but then I see anime with gore on it and I cringe a little over the details of it.

6. Goth culture is just best culture. Because goth girls rule.

As for music, I like Linkin Park (old stuff), Avenged Sevenfold, Bring Me The Horizon, Five Finger Death Punch, Nine Inch Nails, and Rage Against the Machine (being a young kid who wants to rebel against the government is edgy).

The Sith, stylized gore and ultraviolence, grimdark settings, black/spiky/morbid themed armors, nihilistic statements, cussing like a sailor, lack of social mores…

Basically, I eat, drink and breathe Edgelord.

Last edited Oct 24, 2016 at 07:29PM EDT

Nu metal is best metal.

With that being said, I don't understand why anyone would consider Metal (I mean generally, not just Nu metal) edgy. Objectively, no genre of modern popular music can compete with Metal in terms of musicianship, lyricism, or anything really.

Last edited Oct 24, 2016 at 07:46PM EDT

In some other occasions, I watch a lot of nasty shit that has blood and gore from liveleaks or any sort.

FREDDURST wrote:

Nu metal is best metal.

With that being said, I don't understand why anyone would consider Metal (I mean generally, not just Nu metal) edgy. Objectively, no genre of modern popular music can compete with Metal in terms of musicianship, lyricism, or anything really.

Faith No More are pretty based, I've heard some people describe them as nu metal, but people are so picky about what genre is what exactly that I'm not sure how accurate/agreed-upon that is.

chowzburgerz wrote:

As for music, I like Linkin Park (old stuff), Avenged Sevenfold, Bring Me The Horizon, Five Finger Death Punch, Nine Inch Nails, and Rage Against the Machine (being a young kid who wants to rebel against the government is edgy).

I love five finger too I forgot to mention that. Well I haven't listened to much of their stuff (I should do that now why not) but what I have heard is definitely pure edge but I love it. Kind of reminds me of metal gear rising's ost but missing the synth and has harder beats. I love the main vocalist just the way he sings gets me. Only criticism I really have is I feel most of their music, at least with the songs I've heard are kind of boring and filler-like. I usually only listen for the chorus which doesn't keep me listening for long but they have some of the most powerful and catchy chroruses I've heard so it's worth it honestly.

Last edited Oct 25, 2016 at 06:27PM EDT

I dunno if it counts as edgy or if I feel guilty about enjoying it, but I'm pretty into the original Quake's aesthetic:

Gothic castles merged with abandoned factories, with level names that read like a high school emo band's set list. "The Tower of Despair", "Satan's Dark Delight", the entire game is to first person shooters what the angst phase is to teenagers.

Games that draw from gothic and cosmic horror are few and far between, the fact that Quake plays GREAT on top of it is bliss.

Last edited Oct 26, 2016 at 03:06PM EDT

Freakenstein wrote:

I don't know what song it was, but it was a music video where a wimpy kid gets revenge on his middleschool bully and crush who falls for said bully by turning into a werewolf, who then EATS BOTH OF THEM. I don't know what year it was, but when I watched that music video, I had a sudden urge to buy black makeup haha

This one.

Last edited Oct 26, 2016 at 03:20PM EDT

There's this little-known industrial metal band called "Ironhand" that I've been in love with since at least 2012. It's run by just one guy and most of his pieces are extremely offensive and anti-theistic. Here's their bandcamp.

This album is definitely the most "edgy" and for that reason is one of my favorites.

Last edited Nov 15, 2016 at 09:39PM EST

Black and Red rank high among my favorite colors (currently topped by Purple)
I liked some of Linkin Park's songs (including "Crawling in my skin")
I find darkness as a concept appealing (though more in a philosophical cosmic dichotomy context)
I enjoyed BlazBlue
I find Reaper and Shadow the Edgehog interesting characters
I loved Kill la Kill
Not sure if it counts, But I also enjoyed Metal Gear Rising's music.

Last edited Nov 15, 2016 at 09:47PM EST

You mean besides me?

Really though, edge isn't always a bad thing. When it's done right, it can really improve things.
Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island has that perfect amount of edge, and it's what the series had been needing for a long time and desperately needs now. (Witch's Ghost still had some, but they dialed it back too much and it just got worse from there.)
Zombie Island and Mystery Incorporated were both fantastic (although Mystery Inc. was more angsty than edgy, and could have done with a bit less of it.)

I don't know how everyone else sees them but I've always viewed Celldweller's songs as a tad edgy and grimdark.
Nevertheless, Celldweller is one of my favourite artists, and I've loved most of his songs.
I say Celldweller and not Klayton because Celldweller is his only project that I pay attention to.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!