Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,748 total conversations in 9,944 threads

+ New Thread

Images that BLOW YOUR MIND

Last posted Jun 02, 2011 at 09:37PM EDT. Added May 29, 2011 at 07:13AM EDT
25 posts from 14 users

Anyway, back on topic:

E8, the most complicated shape in the world. It has no smooth sides, and if it wasn't compressed on the computer screen and taken into real life, the shape would take up an area about the size of Manhattan. More info.

Piano wrote:

Anyway, back on topic:

E8, the most complicated shape in the world. It has no smooth sides, and if it wasn't compressed on the computer screen and taken into real life, the shape would take up an area about the size of Manhattan. More info.

Um, I think you've mistaken something there. Not only is it not that case that any shape has an inherent size, and that the computer screen is in a very important sense part of "real life", but the article you've linked to seems to be implying that in fact the E8 group (which is really an abstract mathematical concept rather than a "shape" per se) is microscopic in comparison to quarks. See what may be the very ironically-named non-technical overview section and the accompanying illustration.

Still, the article was a fascinating read, and it is a cool picture.

Last edited May 29, 2011 at 04:09PM EDT

Brucker wrote:

Um, I think you've mistaken something there. Not only is it not that case that any shape has an inherent size, and that the computer screen is in a very important sense part of "real life", but the article you've linked to seems to be implying that in fact the E8 group (which is really an abstract mathematical concept rather than a "shape" per se) is microscopic in comparison to quarks. See what may be the very ironically-named non-technical overview section and the accompanying illustration.

You win.

@10101110111010101010101whatever: That GIF is…. Confusing. I dun get it.

Last edited May 29, 2011 at 04:30PM EDT

Brucker wrote:

I have looked in the center of that image for 30 minutes.
And have been sent to somewhere umid, and slimy, a cavern.
Luckily, i found the exit nearly.
Outside this cavern, a world filled with strange and shiny creatures could reach my eyes.
Soon an mage have appeared and said:
"Potato quickly scroll"
And i found myself in front of my house.

Do not try this at home.

Tasmanian Wolves could take over the world if we hadn't shot them all.

That's the Burj Khalifa, the worlds tallest building as of 2011. If you haven't heard about it and are doubting it's existence, you can search for it pretty much anywhere and find info on it.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!