Forums / Media / Video Games

38,611 total conversations in 2,699 threads

+ New Thread

The Sony CBomb

Last posted Apr 29, 2021 at 10:59AM EDT. Added Apr 19, 2021 at 02:36PM EDT
14 posts from 8 users

I didn’t see this around. So I am making a thread about it

For the past weeks, dataminers and console modded found out the the PS3, PS4 and even the PS5 seem to have some kind of unofficial DRM via the use of the battery of the CMOS

PS3 version
When the battery of the CMOS dies, the system will bug out and won’t let you play downloaded games unless you connect to the internet and authenticate the time with Sony’s server. You can replace the CMOS battery, but if you cannot have access to the internet to validate the time or the PS3’s online services are cancelled, you cannot play the games you downloaded unless you hack the console with a custom OS

Source:

CBR article

PS4 and PS5 version
With a dead CMOS, the system will bug out and won’t let you play both physical and digital games since the time will make no sense, the only way to fix it is to authenticate the time with Sony’s servers and install a new battery. If there is no internet or the PS4’s services are cancelled… you have a brick

Source:

NME article

Also since I did it on mobile, the videos came out wrong, here is proof

Hikkikomori Media testing his PS3 with the dead CMOS battery without connecting to the internet, simulating a non-existing PSN for PS3

As you can see, none of his downloaded games can be played since they bug out and exit with the code 80010601, aka "license expired on this game". Why this happens? Because the date of buying is superior to the PS3's date which is all messed up

Spawn Wave testing what happens if the CMOS battery is dead and the PSN or the internet is down. The disc won't play, it reads but won't play since the dates are messed up

>buy game console that costs hundreds of dollars
>games cost $40-70+ USD (if new) each setting you back a few more hundred dollars if you bought two or more
>years later the CMOS battery that is used to maintain the clock even when the console is off eventually dies
>you now can't play the games you own unless the battery is replaced but you find out that PSN services for the PSP, PS3, and Vita are shut down (which will happen eventually) because of some dumb DRM

Stupid shit like this is why piracy still exists, not that I condone it or anything.

Hopefully Sony will rectify this, but they probably won't.

Last edited Apr 19, 2021 at 06:20PM EDT

Shitpostosaurus Rex wrote:

>buy game console that costs hundreds of dollars
>games cost $40-70+ USD (if new) each setting you back a few more hundred dollars if you bought two or more
>years later the CMOS battery that is used to maintain the clock even when the console is off eventually dies
>you now can't play the games you own unless the battery is replaced but you find out that PSN services for the PSP, PS3, and Vita are shut down (which will happen eventually) because of some dumb DRM

Stupid shit like this is why piracy still exists, not that I condone it or anything.

Hopefully Sony will rectify this, but they probably won't.

The worst thing is that this is nothing new, Capcom did it already. The suicide battery of the CPS2 boards, after some years the battery in that board will die and the board becomes cleared of all information. You can replace the battery before it dies, but if you replace it after it dies, it is over, it won't play… the only solution is to hack it

Oh my gosh! Not even physical copies are saved! I really feel sorry to all console users including me who want to keep their old consoles so they can continue playing the old games as long as they live in the future. Now, PC gamers have a new reason to continue with their preferences, and PC is always will be the ultimate game preservation thanks to emulators.

It's obvious Sony would not address this and never will.

Why I have a gut feeling that Japanese game companies especially Sony and Nintendo literally don't give a fuck about game preservation. Too "honorable" to allow the consumers to take an interest in their old games that they will never bother re-sell?

Last edited Apr 19, 2021 at 07:43PM EDT

I own a PC because of potential issues appearing JUST like this. PCs are a cheaper investment. Why? -because we don't worry about shit like this adding up to lost money overall in the long-run.

Quit gambling on consoles, they only seem cheap because there are numerous hidden costs and dangers to having them. When a PC part dies I replace it. When a console dies I replace the whole thing. Then you add in having to pay just to use their online services like that's some kind of privilege despite being free on PC. Then add in the space taken up by these different consoles instead of just having 1 PC with your games library focused on it. Factor in consoles having limited backwards compatibility meanwhile PCs have emulators and basically perfect backwards compatibility, and what you are left with is a lot of regrets getting a console. Or would you like to actually PAY MONEY to run a limited number of mods like consoles require?

Consoles are a fucking joke.

Last edited Apr 19, 2021 at 09:51PM EDT

MisterZygarde64 wrote:

The title of this thread made me think it had something to do with someone at Sony using an offensive word that started with a C

Sony CEO: "Okay guys Nintendo and Microsoft keep making us look bad what ideas do we have?"

"Block online crossplay!"

"Skip E3!"

New intern: "Have you tried…" [slow motion] "Collaboration?"

assistant drops her clipboard and pen, room goes silent

Sony CEO: tosses unpaid intern out window

It seems that the PS5 version of the bug was patched silently, since Spawn Wave hasn't managed to recreate the bug using physical discs, but with downloaded games the bug still happens

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!