Forums / Media / Video Games

38,611 total conversations in 2,699 threads

+ New Thread

Known Creator of “Highly-Accurate” SNES Emulator has Died

Last posted Jul 04, 2021 at 01:15PM EDT. Added Jun 28, 2021 at 04:59PM EDT
8 posts from 6 users

Creator “Near”, familiar in the emulation scene for their emulators such as “bsnes” and “higan”, as well as working on an English fan-translation of JRPG “Bahamut Lagoon” has committed suicide on June 26th, 2021. On their Twitter, reasons given due to prolonged targeted harassment made worse from infamous Kiwi Farms forums, amongst other things.

>Kiwi Farms targeted him

Jesus christ, fuck those guys. I don’t care if their fuckers claim they’re being censored. If they end up getting doxxed and/or sent to jail. They have nobody to blame but themselves.

Last edited Jun 28, 2021 at 09:29PM EDT

Decided to take a look into this, and while Byuu did have a thread on the farms, it was practically inert until the news broke out. It's currently locked for the time being for obvious reasons.

According to Null (KF's owner), Byuu allegedly contacted him and offered to pay Null to remove the thread or they'd kill themselves and Null declined the offer, though he was aware how uncomfortable of a position he was in; either he accepts the payment and gets chewed out for accepting bribes, or he declines and everyone starts pointing fingers if Byuu follows through with their demands.

There's also a lot of holes regarding the guy who reported Byuu's suicide, so unless there's news from other sources, I'm assuming this is bogus and another attempt to shut down Kiwi Farms.

Suicide from continued harassment is no laughing matter, but neither is faking a suicide.

Last edited Jun 29, 2021 at 04:35AM EDT

Get PILLS, against my orders wrote:

Decided to take a look into this, and while Byuu did have a thread on the farms, it was practically inert until the news broke out. It's currently locked for the time being for obvious reasons.

According to Null (KF's owner), Byuu allegedly contacted him and offered to pay Null to remove the thread or they'd kill themselves and Null declined the offer, though he was aware how uncomfortable of a position he was in; either he accepts the payment and gets chewed out for accepting bribes, or he declines and everyone starts pointing fingers if Byuu follows through with their demands.

There's also a lot of holes regarding the guy who reported Byuu's suicide, so unless there's news from other sources, I'm assuming this is bogus and another attempt to shut down Kiwi Farms.

Suicide from continued harassment is no laughing matter, but neither is faking a suicide.

I'll say this as someone that went to that used to go to that site often, even if Null's claims are true it won't make much of a difference when considering the infamy Kiwi Farms has. To note, the site does have a sort of kill count in that one woman killed herself after she gotten a thread, her girlfriend claiming the cause was Kiwi Farms while the Farms itself claims there was something else (never saw the thread so I can't say on it), a user on there being a literal white supremacist that killed two people at a school before offing himself, a trans woman who killed herself (some claim it's due to her thread but that thread remained dead until her death made rounds and from what some claimed, she had mental issues), and the Christchurch shooter who allegedly had an account (if such a claim is true, then it's all the more fucked up. Even if it wasn't true, Null's attitude would still be unacceptable when considering he called New Zealand a shithole). So even if Byuu's suicide is fake, the infamy the Farms has outside of just being a clone of Encyclopedia Dramatica is something that'll be noted in this along with how its owner and web admin is as a person for people to take with grains of salt.

Plus as someone that used the site, the website itself is filled with it's own "A-Logs," spergs, and the like that end up being no better than the people they complain about if not worse.

TL;DR even if Byuu is BS'ing, Kiwi Farms' reputation would make Null's claims of Byuu committing suicide questionable.

Did some digging and I gotta say this whole thing seems really suspicious, especially considering that the only primary source on the matter basically expects everyone to listen and believe and we currently don't have any other primary sources (i.e. official confirmation from police or family, etc) to verify the claim. As seedy as KF may be, accusing the site of murder in this case (and DDoSing them for it) may be rash if not uncalled for at this time.

Hopefully some more substantive and verifiable info will come out in the next few days and clear up the situation (for better or for worse).

| || || |_ wrote:

Yeah I definitely jumped the gun on this one.

Whether one jumped the gun on or not, one can't blame people jumping on blaming the site linked to this suicide since Kiwi Farms itself does have a reputation in being a place that laughs at lol-cows, whether one was a lol-cow in its old sense or in the sense of "I don't like this person because x so they obviously must be a lol-cow" on top of what the Farms is known for such as posting info of people that includes addresses and IRL names, a number of users small in number or great in number going "REEEE" on something like a transperson while thinking even mild criticism of Trump would have to be Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Last edited Jul 04, 2021 at 01:16PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!