Forums / Media / Video Games

38,598 total conversations in 2,697 threads

+ New Thread

PlayStation September 2021 showcase

Last posted Sep 10, 2021 at 09:48AM EDT. Added Sep 09, 2021 at 08:58PM EDT
4 posts from 4 users

First the showcase:

And now the bullet-points:

-Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake by Aspyr confirmed. No gameplay was shown off, but Aspyr has handled remasters of other Star Wars games like Jedi Outcast and Republic Commando, so probably safe to assume it'll stay faithful to the original but look more modern. One detail we do know is the game will be a timed exclusive on PS5, so Xbox and PC players will have to wait a while.

-Project Eve is a new action game IP from Korean game studio Shift Up, looks like something you might enjoy if you like games such as Bayonetta and Devil May Cry.

-New trailer for Borderlands spin-off "Tiny Tina's Wonderland" shown off. It's basically an entire game based off the "Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep" DLC for Borderlands 2, meaning it's a medieval DnD type setting but with all the guns and such Borderlands is known for (and Tina plays the role of the DM).

-New trailer for Square's new action-adventure IP "Forspoken" shown off. Game looks to be an isekai sort of story about a girl from modern times ending up in fantasy setting after going through a portal. Currently planned for a Spring 2022 release.

-New trailer for Rainbow Six: Extraction shown. If the whole "R6 Siege meets monster horde shooter" thing appeals to you then this is for you, but for me I'm not interested.

-Alan Wake Remastered confirmed for October 5 release. This will mark the first time the game has hit PlayStation platforms, though it is also coming to Xbox and PC (though the PC release is going to be EGS exclusive so I know that'll ruffle some feathers, especially to people who own the original on Steam).

-GTAV trailer shown. If GTAV comes to Switch next then this game will be tied with Skyrim for the most ports within a decade of release. It's coming in March 2022 for those interested (like for those who somehow haven't played GTAV yet).

-Ghostwire Tokyo, the new action-horror game from the people behind The Evil Within, has a new trailer shown. Showcases a bit more of the game's action and a new look at the game's use of Japanese ghosts (like at one point I'm pretty sure I saw what looked like the "slit mouthed woman"). No release window given, but it is worth noting Tango is a studio Bethesda bought, and as such now they're owned by Microsoft, so this and Deathloop are likely the last Bethesda games to hit PlayStation consoles.

-New Guardians of the Galaxy trailer. Again looks like what the Avengers game should have been, a fun looking single player action-RPG with plenty of character.

-Trailer shown for Blood Hunt, a PvP multiplayer game set in the Vampire: The Masquerade universe. Personally I'm more interested to find out what's going on with the Masqurade 2 game, because last I heard the game's development has seen a huge shake up (sounds like future Wha Happun? material regardless if it turns out good or bad).

-Yet another Deathloop trailer (Sony really trying to take advantage of the fact they've got one year exclusivity for what is one of two final Bethesda game they're getting, and likely the final Arkane developed game coming to PlayStation). It's coming out next week.

-Trailer shown for something called "Kid A Mnesia Exhibition," which looks to be some kind of "virtual experience" type of thing that's being done by Radiohead in collaboration with Epic Games. Coming November.

-New trailer shown for Tchia, a game where you play as a young girl who has the mystical ability to possess the bodies of animals. Seems sort of Breath of the Wild inspired. Looks cute, I'll keep an eye on it.

-Uncharted 4 and its Lost legacy expansion are being remastered on PS5, and this will mark the series debut on PC as Sony surprisingly did confirm it's coming to PC as well. No release window given.

-Insomniac Games is working on a Wolverine game for the PS5. No release window given, but if it's as awesome as their Spider-Man games then we're likely in for the best Wolverine game since the "way better than it had any right to be" X-Men Origins: Wolverine game from Raven back in 2009.

-Staying on Insomniac for a moment, they also confirmed Spider-Man 2 is coming in 2023, and will have Peter and Miles working together. Venom also confirmed to be an antagonist in the game.

-New Gran Turismo 7 trailer shows the game will have a "campaign" sort of mode. If realistic race sims are your thing then you'll no doubt keep an eye on this one.

-And finally the big closer for this showcase is the first proper gameplay trailer for God of War: Ragnarok. Will of course be a direct continuation of the 2018 God of War, and last I heard Sony is aiming at a 2022 release (Horizon already has the first quarter so I assume GoW will be a summer or fall release). Will of course delve more into Kratos and Arteus' interactions with Norse mythology and have figures like Thor and Tyr play roles in the story.

Sony definietely ended things strong with the doube Insomniac Marvel game announcements plus gameplay of God of War Ragnarok, but also started off decently strong by announcing the KOTOR remake (and getting it as a limited time exclusive), a cool looking new IP from a small studio, and having a "little bit of everything" sprinkled in between. If only most of their State of Plays could be like this.

Last edited Sep 09, 2021 at 09:04PM EDT

I was quite surprised about learning of Insomniac's Wolverine (I can't get enough of the X-Men, they're my favorite Marvel property after all).

Insomniac's gonna have quite a long, busy season through the next years for sure.

I'm worried at how much they'll modernize the Kotor remake. I hope with the success of DnD 5e they'd just use that to make it noob friendly and keep it a CRPG over trying to make it a hybrid action thing like Dragon Age Inquisition, though I think they have one of the directors from that so my hopes aren't high. I see some game journos already clamoring to renovate the combat system to something flashier like in Jedi Fallen Order, which just doesn't feel in the spirit of the original to me.

There are some things I would be excited for them to renovate. For instance I've always felt like Juhani and Bindo were very underdeveloped, so exploring them might be more fun. The ending of Kotor similarly felt rushed with not a ton of options and a lot of very boring combat gauntlets, your choices start to matter less as you get pretty locked in there.

The Star Wars website did a lengthy (if self-congratulatory) interview with the devs and it seems like they're diehard fans, so I'm somewhat optimistic.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!