Forums / Media / Video Games

38,591 total conversations in 2,696 threads

+ New Thread

Splinter Cell receiving a remake, and it's NOT going to be a Ubisoft open world game

Last posted Dec 16, 2021 at 09:42PM EST. Added Dec 15, 2021 at 03:44PM EST
2 posts from 2 users

Source

Rumors had been going on for a while that Ubisoft was finally going to do something with the Splinter Cell IP aside from Sam Fisher cameos and that VR game that may or may not still be in development, and at last we have the news. Ubisoft Toronto, the studio that did Splinter Cell: Blacklist in 2013, is remaking the 2002 original from the ground up on the Snowdrop Engine (the engine used in The Division, Mario+Rabbids, and Ubisoft's upcoming Star Wars open world game). One important thing to note is that Ubisoft is NOT going the open world route that people worried they would, but it does sound like missions will have a level of openness not present in the 2002 original, which is fine by me as later games in the SC series kept to the linear structure while opening up the methods and routes players could utilize. It will likely be a long while before we see anything from this remake, but of course I sure as hell hope they don't fuck it up because if they do I'll be pissed (been waiting almost an entire decade for a new SC game, and even if it's a remake I'll take it as long as it's good). I will say I'm glad Ubisoft has listened to fan pleas to NOT go open world for Splinter Cell. I'm fine with Far Cry and Assassin's Creed being open world even if the map markers get out of hand sometimes, but for Sam Fisher I want tightly made point-A to point-B levels.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!