Forums / Media / Video Games

38,647 total conversations in 2,704 threads

+ New Thread

Nintendo Direct for June 21, 2023

Last posted Jul 28, 2023 at 03:49AM EDT. Added Jun 20, 2023 at 10:22AM EDT
13 posts from 8 users

Source

It's a general Direct that will last roughly 40 minutes and will mainly on Nintendo Switch games launching "this year" (though probably safe to assume some 2024 announcements will likely be made), including new details on Pikmin 4 (launching next month, and which had some minor stuff leak via pre-order cards in Japan like the game will have a 2-player mode and interestingly a confirmation the game is built on Unreal Engine). Here's some of my personal guesses on what we'll see:

-Pikmin 4 is already a given, but my guess is this will further confirm on if the story mode is fully co-op or if 2 player mode is separate from the story

-Splatoon 3: Side Order expansion will likely be given a date, being either late summer or early fall to go along with a new seasonal update

-Supposedly a Mario baseball game might be announced as some people spotted what might have been "accidental early advertisement" at a recent Seattle Mariners game, but it's also likely this was merely general Nintendo ads given Nintendo have about 10% ownership in that team (and used to be majority owners in the past)

-Tears of the Kingdom DLC confirmed for "sometime in 2024"

-Mario Kart 8 Booster Course Pass Wave 5 is given a date and we might learn all the tracks

-Maybe confirming dates for some upcoming waves of Nintendo Switch Online games (we still have no dates for already confirmed games like Excitebike 64, Mario Party 3, and Pokemon Stadium 2)

-This could be where it's confirmed whether or not a Switch version of Persona 3: Reload is happening

Those I feel are the "safe bets," now lets getting into my personal hopes that have equal chances of either happening or not:

-Metroid Prime 2 and 3 remasters confirmed, but whether they'll be graphical revamps like MP1 or simple 1080p upscales of the originals I dunno

-Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD finally break free from the Wii U and come to Switch as a $60 double pack this fall (I bring this up every time a Direct is announced and I keep hoping for once I can take off the clown wig)

-Xenoblade Chronicles X finally gets a Switch port so now the entire series is playable on one system

-Rumor has it a Square-Enix SNES RPG is getting remade, if it ends up being Super Mario RPG or Chrono Trigger I know a lot of 30-somethings who will be extremely happy

HOLY SHIT, SUPER MARIO RPG REMAKE IS REAL!

It looks like it's going to be a 1:1 remake of the game too as the environments look like they have the same layout as the original, and interestingly the character designs are also staying true to the "semi chibi" look of the original too rather than going with a complete revamp.

Also interesting, they briefly showed a quick look at a new game starring Princess Peach but didn't want to say much about it. Did we just get a look at a game for the Switch's successor? Hard to say. Also a remaster of Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is coming next year as well. Definitely looks early in development as the framerate looked about the same as the 3DS original.

qx1511 wrote:

A Princess Peach game isn’t actually as new as most people might think. There was a DS game called Super Princess Peach

Oh I know it's not new for the series, BUT this doesn't look like a remake of that title, it looks like it's completely new, and the fact they kept details very limited makes me wonder if they just gave us a look at something being developed for the Switch's successor.

Also here's a minor thing, but oh wow that's kinda amusing to me that they just confirmed the MGS Collection on Switch will also have the infamous Metal Gear NES and Snake's Revenge. I've always heard those two aren't very good, but it is thanks to Snake's Revenge that Kojima proposed the official Metal Gear 2 so hey it's still important to the series legacy.

Alrighty so the Direct is over and IMO I'd say it was pretty solid. A lot of the smaller "headline" stuff was kinda "whatever" to me but the BIG announcements were definitely big. My personal highlights:

-Super Mario RPG remake coming November 17, looks like a very faithful remake of the original by looking like a proper 3D imagining of the original pre-rendered visuals, super stoked a new generation and older 30-somethings like myself get to experience this classic in a new way

-Pikmin 4 looks to be a combination of all the best stuff from past games and more (including a return of the underground caves from Pikmin 2), and it's got a demo coming on the 28

-HD remasters of Pikmin 1 and 2 are releasing on the eShop today, so now everyone can replay the three previous games in preparation for Pikmin 4 next month

-Metal Gear Solid Collection is indeed hitting Switch with MGS1-3, plus Metal Gear 1 and 2, but as an interesting bonus the NES port of MG1 and the America-exclusive non-canon "Snake's Revenge" will be included as well (and as I said, I know these last two are often regarded as not very good, but at the very least Snake's Revenge is still important as its existence is what lead Kojima to make the official Metal Gear 2 so hey it's still a fun novelty to include it). Mildly surprised the Switch version won't have Twin Snakes as a bonus exclusive extra given Nintendo helped fund said remake, but I guess there's an issue with Silicon Knight's involvement (SK may be defunct but their former leaders still seem to have some legal sway in games they developed).

-Penny's Big Breakaway is a new 3D platformer from the makers of Sonic Mania that looks pretty cool

-Star Ocean: The Second Story R is a remake of the second Star Ocean game with a really cool looking hybrid visual style of 3D environments and 2D sprites (but yet it's not "HD-2D" surprisingly), and it's awesome a version of the second game will finally come to modern consoles (a simple remaster of the PSP remake of the original is on Switch and PS4, and it always bugged me a remaster of the PSP remake of SO2 never came to modern platforms, but a different remake instead is a great alternative)

-Warioware: Move It! looks like a proper successor to Smooth Moves on the Wii, and looks like it'll be more "classic" Warioware compared to "Get it Together!"

-Super Mario Bros Wonder looks like what the "New" series of SMB games should have been, the artstyle looks like a big improvement, the levels look like a modern take on the SNES era of Mario, power ups that are 100% brand new like elephant Mario, and Daisy is playable to boot! Looks like an actual evolution of 2D Mario rather than the more simple "revisits" NSMW felt like after the first entry.

Sugary Salt wrote:

Pretty big Direct for Mario fans, I'm guessing. As a non-fan of Mario: WHERE'S KID ICARUS UPRISING 2, NINTENDO

First I want a remaster of Uprising 1 on a system where I don't risk getting carpel tunnel while playing it. And it's probably up to Sakurai on if any follow-up to Uprising will even happen.

Quick Edit:

Oh here's some good news for people who prefer physical, Pikmin 1+2 is getting a physical edition in September. Basically Nintendo's doing something similar to what they did with Metroid Prime Remastered, release the digital version the day its announced and the physical edition later. Kinda wish the physical was releasing before Pikmin 4, but whatever I'll deal with it.

Last edited Jun 21, 2023 at 01:14PM EDT

I'll probably get Penny's Big Breakaway and Pikmin 4 one day, but what I'm most concerned about is Super Mario Bros Wonder.
I don't know how to feel about it, since, for me at least, it looked very promising at first glance, then I thought about how that one caterpiller-like pipe is essentially just an elaborate moving platform and thought that the gameplay was going to be more like that from the New Super Mario Bros series based on those missile rain and stretchy-Mario things. However, while trying to see why Super Mario World still sticks out so much in my head (I'm pretty sure it's not because of nostalgia since I didn't play it very much when I was young), and re-watching the trailer just now, I started to see the potential for Wonder again in the speed-belts, the frog-fish bouncing, and the waves of spikey guys.
Basically, I need to see more of this for a full opinion, including rediscover what makes SMB3, SMW, and Yoshi's Island so good.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!