Forums / Media / Video Games

38,692 total conversations in 2,707 threads

+ New Thread

Eiji Aonuma confirms Tears of the Kingdom will NOT be getting DLC, has already begun planning the next Zelda game

Last posted Sep 12, 2023 at 12:25PM EDT. Added Sep 06, 2023 at 09:57AM EDT
9 posts from 7 users

Source

Honestly it's genuinely surprising to see they're not gonna do DLC this time. Also man this dude must have inherited Masahiro Sakurai's work ethic if he's already planning out ideas for the next Zelda game only months after the last game, which took around 5-6 years to make. IMO I feel he should take it a bit easy with the next game and maybe do a smaller scale 2D game next, but it wouldn't surprise me if all his focus is on how he can try and top the level of openness that TotK offered. Also safe to say it'll be a game for the Switch successor so he'll have even more power to work with than before, so you gotta wonder what he could come up with on a console that will likely have things like much faster loading.

Mistress Fortune wrote:

Source

Honestly it's genuinely surprising to see they're not gonna do DLC this time. Also man this dude must have inherited Masahiro Sakurai's work ethic if he's already planning out ideas for the next Zelda game only months after the last game, which took around 5-6 years to make. IMO I feel he should take it a bit easy with the next game and maybe do a smaller scale 2D game next, but it wouldn't surprise me if all his focus is on how he can try and top the level of openness that TotK offered. Also safe to say it'll be a game for the Switch successor so he'll have even more power to work with than before, so you gotta wonder what he could come up with on a console that will likely have things like much faster loading.

Without DLC I think I can safely say that atleast for myself this entry in Zelda is only slightly above average. Even with the really fun zonai devices and impressive physics engine, I didn't like how this game shared most of the problems of botw and that story progression felt very gimped along with most of the usability of the sages.

I still have high hopes for a warriors game featuring the Zonai. That'd be a good alternative to in game DLC.

This isn't too much of a loss imo. From everything I've seen, the game has tons of content and is most likely not going to be losing out on much from a lack of DLC.

Pokejoseph64 wrote:

Personally I hope he collabs with Capcom again to remake the Oracle games.

Yeah I know they’re on NSO, but still

Link's Awakening is on NSO despite the remake existing on the same console so I can see it happening. More likely it'd be handled by Grezzo though, they're basically Nintendo's go-to studio for Zelda remakes ever since OoT 3D (and Tantalus is their go-to for Zelda remasters). Would be interesting to see the Oracle games get remade nowadays too since, fun fact, the director of Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom got his start working on the Zelda series by directing the Oracle games when he still worked for Capcom (he also directed Minish Cap). His time working on the Zelda IP must have been one either he or Aonuma really loved because not too long after Minish Cap he'd leave Capcom to join Nintendo EPD's Zelda team.

Last edited Sep 07, 2023 at 10:50AM EDT

I would LOVE to see an actual Oracle of Secrets game get released. Heck, I'd love to see more 2d zelda entries at this point again. We haven't seen one since… triforce heroes? And that was mid 2010s.

So…will the next zelda game be a direct sequel of tears of the kingdom and still use breath of the wild map and be based on breath of the wild mechanics but now feature a space section and constructable spaceships?

Legend of Zelda: Field of the Stars, now Calamity Ganon has come back and has a death star.

No!! wrote:

So…will the next zelda game be a direct sequel of tears of the kingdom and still use breath of the wild map and be based on breath of the wild mechanics but now feature a space section and constructable spaceships?

Legend of Zelda: Field of the Stars, now Calamity Ganon has come back and has a death star.

Aonuma said he feels he's explored everything he wanted to with the BotW/TotK version of Hyrule, so I think we can assume the next game will feature either another new interpretation of Hyrule, or maybe a new land entirely. It'd be interesting if we returned back to Termina one day, which hey could happen given A Link Between Worlds revisited the A Link to the Past version of Hyrule again over 20 years later. Like I'm imagining something like either BotW/TotK Link or a different Link entirely stumbles upon the magic portal that links Hyrule and Termina together while tracing the path of his ancestor (though now that I say it like that, that sounds like it'd also make for a good idea for a distant follow-up to Twilight Princess, like TP Link trying to discover more of the story behind the Hero's Shade).

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!