Forums / Media / Video Games

38,909 total conversations in 2,727 threads

+ New Thread

Why did Pokémon gotten flack over EXP. Share?

Last posted Sep 30, 2024 at 09:26PM EDT. Added Sep 30, 2024 at 04:10AM EDT
5 posts from 4 users

Perhaps it's a bad time to discuss Pokémon with the Palworld lawsuit going on right now, but why does it feel like only Pokémon gotten backlash over splitting EXP to the party starting in Gen 6 whereas other monster taming games don't despite also having that feature?

-Palworld: Has Gen 8+ Exp Share
-Cassette Beasts: Has Gen 8+ Exp Share, also allows partners to quickly catch up if their level is lower than the player
-Abomi Nation: Rather than having individual monsters having their own level, they share the player level as the game is designed around permadeath.
- Temtem:

To clarify, I'm not complaining about people dislike on it, just curious on why. I suppose that has to do with just how inflexible the Base Point/EV system is, but that still doesn't explain everything.

I honestly don’t have any problems with the exp share in gens 6 and 7, as it helps me with leveling Pokemon to evolve for the pokedex. Plus you can always turn it off if you don’t like it.

That’s not the case with gen 8 and later, as it is mandatory and cannot be turned on/off

I think there are a lot of folks who have knee-jerk reactions to TPC making it "too easy" with that sort of change, especially since there aren't many difficulty options to increase the challenge of a game. The challenge of recent titles has been rather lacking for the aging portions of the veteran fans, but I think TPC is trying to mostly focus on cultivating the next generation of audiences who want more instant gratification. Palworld, Cassette Beasts, and other spiritual successors of Pokemon appeal more to that aging core fanbase and have (as I understand it, haven't played any) a higher difficulty curve for their gameplay progression.

Also people are just flat out hypocrites when it comes to game critique. Looking at you sci-fi game fans you're all utterly horrible at remaining consistent with critiquing space sims.

[ This is coming from someone who haven't played a mainline Pokemon game since Ultra SuMo. So most of my words are coming from past experiences and gameplay videos I saw of later gens. ]

I second with Wisehowl in that Pokemon has a very deep game mechanics that steadily increases in each generation, but never really put their step into their own mechanics. While each generation tries to make the process of raising your Pokemon for competitive environment (such as IVs, EVs, Egg Moves, Natures, and Abilities, held Items), they don't really challenge the player to ever touch any of the mechanics except for type advantages. Like having trainers, even most of the boss trainers don't have teams that synergies with their types like using items, weather/field effects, hazards, or set ups. There are few exceptions, but that's just exceptions than the norm.

The only time in the mainline games were you actually use the games mechanics is not in postgame, but in a small section of battle tower. and even then, that fells more rigged than challenging.

Besides Pokemon romhacks like Radical Red and Elite Redux and other Monster Tamer games that's largely inspired by Pokemon like Disc Creatures, Cassette Beast, Coromon, Dokimon, Omega Monsters and so-on with different approaches on the mechanics of pokemon.

While there isn't a problem with Exp Share as long as it help average the level of your team (such as how BW/B2W2 adjust exp depending on your mon's level and the opponent), without worry if they might accidentally overlevel their whole team and just steamrolled the whole game. But that is on the whim on what the player want to do since it was an option to activate (unless it's built in in the game in SwSh & SV, again I haven't played them).

Last edited Sep 30, 2024 at 07:44PM EDT

GameBoyXEpic wrote:

[ This is coming from someone who haven't played a mainline Pokemon game since Ultra SuMo. So most of my words are coming from past experiences and gameplay videos I saw of later gens. ]

I second with Wisehowl in that Pokemon has a very deep game mechanics that steadily increases in each generation, but never really put their step into their own mechanics. While each generation tries to make the process of raising your Pokemon for competitive environment (such as IVs, EVs, Egg Moves, Natures, and Abilities, held Items), they don't really challenge the player to ever touch any of the mechanics except for type advantages. Like having trainers, even most of the boss trainers don't have teams that synergies with their types like using items, weather/field effects, hazards, or set ups. There are few exceptions, but that's just exceptions than the norm.

The only time in the mainline games were you actually use the games mechanics is not in postgame, but in a small section of battle tower. and even then, that fells more rigged than challenging.

Besides Pokemon romhacks like Radical Red and Elite Redux and other Monster Tamer games that's largely inspired by Pokemon like Disc Creatures, Cassette Beast, Coromon, Dokimon, Omega Monsters and so-on with different approaches on the mechanics of pokemon.

While there isn't a problem with Exp Share as long as it help average the level of your team (such as how BW/B2W2 adjust exp depending on your mon's level and the opponent), without worry if they might accidentally overlevel their whole team and just steamrolled the whole game. But that is on the whim on what the player want to do since it was an option to activate (unless it's built in in the game in SwSh & SV, again I haven't played them).

Technically Raihan from SWSH does focus on weather during his battles despite also being a Dragon- type trainer.

Hell he even starts with a Torkoal with Drought in his rematches

Greetings! You must login or signup first!