Forums / Discussion / General

234,989 total conversations in 7,814 threads

+ New Thread

The Super Smash Bros. Thread

Last posted Nov 04, 2011 at 12:16PM EDT. Added Oct 29, 2011 at 04:41PM EDT
52 posts from 24 users

Simmilar to the Zelda thread, lets talk about Super Smash Bros. Discuss anything from your favorite character, characters you wish to be in the next game, fan games, how broken Sonic/Meta Knight/Pit are, anything!

I usually play Mario or Snake in SSBB, when I play it.

Snake because of where my loyalties lie, and Mario because he's pretty easy to learn.

I usually play as many characters while playing SSB, but here is my usual list:

SSB: Pikachu
SSBM: This is when I got good with Link, Marth, and Roy, I occationaly used Captain Falcon.
SSBB: I usually play as Link, Marth, Ike, Captain Falcon, or Pit. But I usually end up playing as everyone in one sesssion.

The second game when I saw the title screens cinematic I noticed Ridley was in it. Ridley had always been my favorite character from the Metroid game, and I was rather disappointed when he wasn't added. Well when they announced the third game I was happy thinking they would finally add him. Then the game came out and I was disappointed by the lack of characters they should of added, and then ones they should have kept

Riddley is honestly too big to be a Playable Character in SSB (He is 4 storys high for crying out loud!), which is why he was only a boss in the story mode.

If they add any character from Metroid, it HAS to be Anthony:

You remember him.

Ridley is not always 4 stories high…

Many of the bosses in Metroid change how big they are game to game, and especially in the manga where Ridley and Kraid are both human height. Anyways if they can make Bowser and Charizard fit then I think Ridley would work.

Smash Bros. (Melee and Brawl) was my introduction to gaming with other people.

I was never really good at the first game. I played with just about anybody but Ness (because I could never place that PK Thunder well enough to work as a third jump or attack.)

In Melee?

I love Roy. Strike with the edge of the sword. Pff. Stop with that weak mess, Marth. Roy's sword is on Fire. Also his dad is Eliwood. I never finished that Fire Emblem, but Eliwood was a cool guy. Also, I like short fighters. It makes me feel good about myself.

I refused to play Brawl when I learned he wasn't in there.

…Who is Ike?

Last edited Oct 29, 2011 at 09:46PM EDT

They could always make it to were he is a certain size. Just like Bowser. In some games he is ten times bigger then Mario. but in brawl he isn't bigger at all.

Bowser and mario during Brawl

and then here is bowser during super mario sunshine.

~MySANDVICH!~ wrote:

If they are going to have any Pokemon I think it should be Machamp, or Gengar.

But those two smeeellll
Breloom is nifty!

WOAH THAT'S NIFTY.

I want Roy back in the next game also, but as seeing Marth and Ike are the only 2 FE characters to star in more than one game…

But who knows? A hack revealed Roy was actually planed to be in Brawl, and Lyn was originally going to be playable. We just might get both of them.

Marth has been my main every time he has been in the games. I ended up being really good with using the counter at just the right time, and I like that the sweet spot for his strikes allows you to keep a little more distance as well.
Anyone else have super smash land? It's an interesting fan project. I have no idea how to unlock anything though…

Last edited Oct 30, 2011 at 01:46PM EDT

In the first, I was always Mario. Melee, Mario, then Captain Falcon. FALCON…..PAWNCH!!
but the Ninten-dim wits nerfed him in Brawl, being slower and weaker. of course, Sonic is probably faster, but instead of increasing speed limits, they slow down everyone else.
I think Blood falcon from F-Zero, Zeno from SM RPG, Ridley from basically every metroid, and Anthony from Other M because I remember him.

and Steve.

Last edited Oct 30, 2011 at 02:26PM EDT

Capcom is going to add another character…

You know what, they'll never add this one, but I want Deadpool in SSB IV. I just really want Deadpool to be there.

~MySANDVICH!~ wrote:

How about Machamp and breloom come around and kick jigglypuffs round behind out of the game, and they both get added!!! :D

How about… no.

SSB: Link
Never owned SSBM, but I have played it a little. I was usually Kid Link.
SSBB: Ike

I want Issac or Felix from Golden Sun to be playable in the next one. Also, Simon/Richter Belmont.

madcat wrote:

How about… no.

I dont see the point of the video. That kinda seems like a cheap way of killing some one. Just like Fox, Falco, and Wolfs smash. When they try to lift you up on there land master. My personal opinion is that jigglypuff just shouldn't be in the game, and I am okay with your opinion

~MySANDVICH!~ wrote:

I think the person who should be added to the game as a Pokemon Character is Gengar. I mean you think about it there are so many things they could do with him. He is just a really good character.

You really like Gengar, don't you?

Anyway, I hope the new Pokemon character isn't going to be Zoroark. Honestly, out of 150 new breeds, there has to be something better than a Lucario clone.

I think they're finally going to take out Pichu, though. It's basically a Pikachu clone that deals damage to itself when it attacks, so good riddance.

Pichu isn't in Brawl, however according to the file dump these two guys where meant to replace him:

But they wern't finished or something.

Last edited Oct 30, 2011 at 10:46PM EDT

Captain Badass wrote:

SSB: Link
Never owned SSBM, but I have played it a little. I was usually Kid Link.
SSBB: Ike

I want Issac or Felix from Golden Sun to be playable in the next one. Also, Simon/Richter Belmont.

Agreed, if it's neither of those belmonts at least let it be alucard or trevor belmont

I used to play as Fox McCloud in the earlier games since Star Fox was one of the first games I really got into. Falco and Wolf, too. I played mostly as Bowser in Brawl, though. I mean, how could you say no to this badass?

I hated Bowser in Melee, though. And what the hell is with Ganondorf's move set? It is really unfitting for him.

@Jackal lantern

I know seriously, they just got lazt and gave him Captain falcons moveset with some tweaks. They even give him a sword that he doesn't use. I want to see him in the next game throwing dark energy orbs. This reminds me, some Zelda bosses could be good, Vaati, Kotake and Koume(or together as Twinrova), even Zant.
Also, having more "dark costumes" would be nice, like a Dark Samus costume or a Cosmic Mario in addition to the dark link costumes they added for brawl.

And here is one of the many awesome brawl hacks:

Fridge wrote:

You really like Gengar, don't you?

Anyway, I hope the new Pokemon character isn't going to be Zoroark. Honestly, out of 150 new breeds, there has to be something better than a Lucario clone.

I think they're finally going to take out Pichu, though. It's basically a Pikachu clone that deals damage to itself when it attacks, so good riddance.

Pichu in brawl= never happened.

I'm hoping they give Marth an English VA in SSB4. I really want to find out what the fuck he says. Also, if they add a capcom character, I would like to see Ryu, Ametarasu, or Phoenix Wright.

And I'm only expecting around 10-12 new characters. Also, I have a feeling Sonic and Snake might get removed from the new SSB due to the fact that they were guest characters. Name one game in which a guest character stayed in the roster for future installments.

There should be some costumes in the next game that also switch out the voice (like if you picked the Daisy colors on Peach, she wouled sound like Daisy).

And looking at my game shelf to get ideas (regarding first party titles):
-Luigi shouled be reworked to use his vacuum.
-Paper Mario wouled be good to add, as he has diffrent moves than regular Mario.
-Waluigi needs to be playable.
-Wolf Link and Midna need to be playable (They where planned in Brawl).
-Gannon needs to change his Moveset to use his Trident and Sword.
-Toon Link needs a toon Zelda or GTFO.
-Anthony from Other M needs to be in the next game.
-Krystal needs to be in the next game.
-No Landmasters for Falco or Wolf.
-Raiden from Metal Gear (his Grey Fox armor version) needs to be playable.
-Sonic needs to change his voice actor, decrease his overall power, and sorten that fucking cheap Final Smash.
-Sothe from Fire Emblem needs to make it in as an assist trophy. Lyn can take a playable position that way.
-Promote Isaac to Playable.
-Bench Jigglypuff, add Gary.
-Add Wu-huu Island as a stage.
-Add Comet Observatory as a stage.
-Make Rainbow Road a stage.

Derpy Hooves wrote:

I'm hoping they give Marth an English VA in SSB4. I really want to find out what the fuck he says. Also, if they add a capcom character, I would like to see Ryu, Ametarasu, or Phoenix Wright.

And I'm only expecting around 10-12 new characters. Also, I have a feeling Sonic and Snake might get removed from the new SSB due to the fact that they were guest characters. Name one game in which a guest character stayed in the roster for future installments.

I agree with you. Snake and sonic should be removed even if they weren't guest characters. No offense towards there games, they just dont belong in this one.
I also think that if they were to add a Capcom character that it should be Whesker, or Chris Redfield.

Also who wouldn't want to see this guy in the next one:

Get your ass in gear MIDWAY!

If Capcom gets into Smash Bros, they better not go with Ryu. Even if I wasn't already sick of him for being in every crossover ever, he's just going to be another Mario clone. Personally, I hope they go with Megaman. I honestly haven't played that many Megaman games, but Megaman was a Nintendo exclusive through the majority of the classic series, and his abilities gained from fighting the robot masters would make for an amazing array of attacks. Plus, Capcom kinda owes him after fucking him over in MVC3. If I had my way though, it'd be Amaterasu. She is adorable, and clearly the best dancer.

@ChipBeat
I was wondering the same thing about Sonic. Of course, I play without Smash Balls! :P I hate all of them. Items and course hazards seem to kill more often than players in Brawl, so I just turn them off. Sonic actually does have a few kill moves, though. Try forward-smash, down-air, and back-air.They're harder to land than the average kill move, but Sonic's harder to hit so it's only fair. Down-air isn't hard, but you run the risk of suiciding if you use it carelessly.

@DERPYSCIENCE
Mortal Kombat characters in a Nintendo crossover? I can only imagine…

ChipBeat wrote:

What's with people thinking that Sonic is too powerful. He has a super cheap final smash, but apart from that he has no killing moves, is light weight, and is ranked 24th on the tier.

Also, we need Zero alongside Megaman. Cloud, Chrono, and in general some RPG characters.(there is quite a pool to choose from)

Because rankings totally matter you guys. They are in no way at all prone to change error or anything else, because there is nothing we do not know. Also, the fact that Sonic is full of first order optimal strategies is totally not a crowbar to the kneecaps of the fun of fighting against someone using him.

Aaaaaanyways, since Konami already has snake in, I'd love to see Alucard and a Belmont (Seriously though, they're mostly interchangeable. Heck, maybe they should go with Juste, just because he's pretty much the least known Belmont, but probably an amazing fit for the smash bros system based on how he controls in the game in which he appears) Hmmmm, They could do Suidoken characters, but seeing as each one had 108 playable characters… Well, choosing would be troublesome. They could do Contra. OH, I KNOW! TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES! They did the NES one! The one everyone hates! I guess Silent Hill is a Thing They Own, but… I don't think so…

As far as other Sega characters… Skies of Arcadia was supposedly very good. Gunstar Heroes (Japanese Contra) could work… Otherwise, meh.

As for Nintendo Properties? They got that covered I think.

Last edited Nov 03, 2011 at 08:55PM EDT

@ArdentGamer
Rankings, while being anti-tierist myself, do still matter. Sonic is in actuality, a very difficult character to play competitively with, and that is what tiers represent. While in a theoretical world he may be balanced enough to play well few people have been able to play with him effectively enough to compete with other characters on a higher level. People can jump tiers, but apart from Jigglypuff in melee I have yet to see anybody jump from one of the lowest tiers in the game to being "overpowered". Agree with your choices of additions to the character rooster though, copyright aside some of those would at the very least make great assist trophies.

@Jackal
I prefer his up-air for killing than his downair. The problem with landing his killing moves is that they are slow and Sonic doesn't have any fast moves which can set him up to deliver one of his killing blows.

@
It's unlikely that Snake will be removed. Kojima had already tried to get him entered into Melee, but they ran out of time. There's no way that Nintendo is going to take out a popular character unless Kojima disagrees which it seems like he doesn't. Same with Sonic, Sega has been whoring him out into anything they can, so there isn't any reason they would take him out of a smash bros game.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!