Forums / Discussion / General

233,326 total conversations in 7,804 threads

+ New Thread

When we're trolling trolls, are we also trolls?

Last posted Mar 25, 2012 at 08:25PM EDT. Added Mar 24, 2012 at 05:20AM EDT
24 posts from 18 users

If you define trolling as trying to get someone else mad then when you respond to a troll chances are you're not attempting to make them mad and instead try to respond in seriousness you're not trolling, you're the troll bait. Unless of course, if you're trolling the trolls then you are.

One can never win against a troll, for they shall become a troll themselves, and continue down a vicious cat-and-mouse game until one troll breaks. That's why one of the Rules of the Internet says "Never argue with a troll. It means they win."

I figure the majority of a user's posts have to be made with the intent to irritate others for them to really be considered a troll and identified as such by the entirety of a community, so I'd say the answer your looking for is no, OP.

I'd answer yes, but I guess I don't mind being considered a troll if it's for a higher cause, so to speak.

About a month and a half ago, warcraftnerd was getting completely intolerable, posting over and over that the lot of us were "butthurt virgin kids". I'd had enough, so I posted a troll post to him that was short and to-the-point. Later the same day, his account was deactivated.

Crushed that troll's sandcastle; fuck yeah.

I believe this depends on the troll you're dealing with.

For me, the quality of a troll depends on his posting. Quality posting equals a quality troll. For me, a good troll makes use of his brain during discussions, being able to make clever responses and leaving the other speechless. So with that argument, a quality troll will leave you speechless, making counter-trolling impossible.

Simply being annoying, just spamming random crap (which is basically the same), or blatantly insulting people does NOT count as trolling to me. That qualifies as being a faggot or any other negative factor you prefer for it.

So people like Troll King and 404 who are posting here with the underlying message that they're the best of their kind, actually don't qualify as trolls. If you are going to counter troll them, they'll probably respond with a random image or a mother-joke, giving you an auto-victory. Whereas Brucker's example is a clever response based on facts, making a counter-argument impossible. Although Brucker isn't a troll, this can be seen as a quality troll moment of him.

Last edited Mar 24, 2012 at 06:18PM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

I believe this depends on the troll you're dealing with.

For me, the quality of a troll depends on his posting. Quality posting equals a quality troll. For me, a good troll makes use of his brain during discussions, being able to make clever responses and leaving the other speechless. So with that argument, a quality troll will leave you speechless, making counter-trolling impossible.

Simply being annoying, just spamming random crap (which is basically the same), or blatantly insulting people does NOT count as trolling to me. That qualifies as being a faggot or any other negative factor you prefer for it.

So people like Troll King and 404 who are posting here with the underlying message that they're the best of their kind, actually don't qualify as trolls. If you are going to counter troll them, they'll probably respond with a random image or a mother-joke, giving you an auto-victory. Whereas Brucker's example is a clever response based on facts, making a counter-argument impossible. Although Brucker isn't a troll, this can be seen as a quality troll moment of him.

Dude you don't know how to spell "speechless"? Your and idiot and your homofobe two. So I don't care what you think.

FIN

Thanks, folks. That will be all for today's community theater presentation of "The Rabbit and the Troll". We appreciate you all, and encourage you to continue your support of local theater groups.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. Revenche, however, is fine.

Also, does it matter? Trolling is defined as trying to make someone respond in anger, making themselves look unintelligent in the process. Doing that makes you a troll regardless, but Trolls get too much of a bad reputation. Real trolls are amusing, liked and respected. Fail trolls (the kind that seem to be the only ones these days) look stupid to try and make you angry for the sake of you being angry. They don't fit my definition of trolling.

Brucker wrote:

Dude you don't know how to spell "speechless"? Your and idiot and your homofobe two. So I don't care what you think.

FIN

Thanks, folks. That will be all for today's community theater presentation of "The Rabbit and the Troll". We appreciate you all, and encourage you to continue your support of local theater groups.

English is not my main language, forgive me. I make these small mistakes on occasion. Yet for some reason, I hardly ever do "your/you're" wrong (which has gone wrong with others here multiple times).

It has been changed.

Last edited Mar 24, 2012 at 06:21PM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

English is not my main language, forgive me. I make these small mistakes on occasion. Yet for some reason, I hardly ever do "your/you're" wrong (which has gone wrong with others here multiple times).

It has been changed.

Either you're better at this then I though, or you did not in face see what he did there.

RandomMan wrote:

It has been changed.

Damned Europeans and their mastery of multilingualism! It's no fun to grammar troll someone who isn't actually a native speaker…

I forgot you were Dutch. Ik zal handhaven dat in mijn geheugen.

[photo:273569]

Brucker wrote:

Damned Europeans and their mastery of multilingualism! It's no fun to grammar troll someone who isn't actually a native speaker…

I forgot you were Dutch. Ik zal handhaven dat in mijn geheugen.

[photo:273569]

You got the image macro correct, but may I ask what you typed in Google Translate for the sentence above that.

"Ik zal handhaven dat in mijn geheugen" is grammatically incorrect in so many ways.

But I appreciate the gesture and get what you were aiming for.

Last edited Mar 24, 2012 at 10:42PM EDT

Well, I forced it for the joke, but Google back-translated it to English fine, so I hoped it was okay. As I implied in the other thread, the extent of my knowledge of Dutch is one quarter of college German.

As proven before, yes. Trolling is a common act that has existed even long before the Internet.
The Internet has made the act well known throughout itself and has caused it to occur even more.

Last edited Mar 25, 2012 at 07:31AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!